1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Black Rock Address

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by John Public, Oct 23, 2015.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was not limited geographically and was formed at the 1832 Triennial Convention (across the street during a recess, BTW), and it (like the Tract Society and American Baptist Foreign Mission Society) met during the Triennials.

There was tension between the northern and southern membership almost from the beginning, with the southerners complaining that too few missionaries were being allocated to the South.

You may also remember that Home Mission Society became the first formal battleground in the convention over slavery when the Georgians recommended a slaveholder to be a home missionary. The board had voted that it would not decide whether or not to appoint a missionary based upon his status as a slaveholder, but the Georgians made it clear in the nomination that he was. So the board sat on the nomination, neither denying it or accepting it.

That was in contrast to the Foreign Mission Soceity, which outright rejected selecting a slaveholder to be a missionary.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn't up on the details of the controversy. But, I assume the HMS became identified as a "Northern" operation after the founding of the SBC.

3. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Triennial Convention -- which was de facto a northern organization after the SBC split -- retained its links with the societies that had been formed before the breakup. They retained their autonomy (or appearance of it) until the Northern Baptist Convention was formed in 1907.

The SBC formed its own boards -- answerable to the convention, unlike the society system that the northerners preferred -- such as the Board of Domestic Missions and the Board of Foreign Missions. (The convention, interestingly enough, did not get around to founding a fully functioning Sunday School Board -- a publication operation -- until 1891; partly because it was being well-supplied by the northern American Baptist Publication Society. Add to that the ravages of the Civil War and the Landmark controversy.)

#23 rsr, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.baptisthistory.org/bhhs/baptistorigins/southernbaptistbeginnings.html

"Some Southern Baptists desired to carry on ministries which the Convention preferred not to include as boards. Four society-type bodies were organized outside of the Convention between 1845 and 1891. . . .

[1.] A Southern Baptist Publication Society was organized in 1847 and

[2.] a Southern Baptist Sunday School Union in 1857, . . .

neither survived the Civil War. . . .

[3.] the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. . . .

[4.] Woman’s Missionary Union"

5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Publication Society and the Sunday School Union were competitors, the latter having been formed by J.R. Graves and other Landmarkers. Both were in competition with the convention's Bible Board, which never really got off the ground.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back to the Black Rock Address that plainly stated the position of the Primitive Baptists (that I hold to).

Our stance on Sunday Schools & our role as parents.

THE ROLE OF THE PARENTS: (Commentary by Elder David Montgomery--Primitive Baptists Online)

Genesis 18:19 (God speaking to Abraham) "For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him."

Ephesians 6:4 "And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."

2Timothy 3:14-15 "But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."

As a father of 4 young children, I must personally apply these scriptures. We live in a hectic, time demanding world. If I take time to teach my children such things as how to throw, catch, and hit a baseball; what political party is superior; what football team to root for; and not include the teaching of the scriptures; what does that say about my priorities? What can more meaningful than to teach them the Holy Scriptures? If we cannot find the time than we must do as the scripture says, "redeeming the time because the days are evil" (Ephesians 5:16). If the days were evil then, how much more evil are they today ?

I will make 2 statements that I hope all parents will consider.

1. If I would say, "I do not believe in Sunday School because I feel that it is my responsibility as the parent to teach my children", and then proceed in NOT teaching them, I make my position empty and vain.

2. There isn't a better person to teach a child than that child's Mother and Father. There is no person who understands better that child's personality, behavior, aptitudes and intelligence than the parent. Whom, other than ourselves and a minister of the Gospel, should we trust to teach our own precious children the most important thing they can learn?

#26 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015