1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blasphemy or innocent humor?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. noregrets1987

noregrets1987 New Member

Well... I actually kind of think it is blasphemy... It offended me. The use of God in a joking manner isn't something that should be done, more so by politians. Seperation of church and state anyone?
    He sort of basically... made fun of God. How you cannot think that is Blasphemy on some level.... is shocking.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Because (a) blasphemy is not determined by what offends an individual like yourself or myself and (b) blasphemy is a form of speech that is "defamatory of the Divine" or is railing against God. Huckabee was not doing either. As a pastor, who is also in politics, he was simply doing a "skit" to make some points. He was not making fun of God nor was he slandering God's Holy Name. Nor was he acting as a government official passing a law (etc) concerning the establishment of religion.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

He said nothing bad about God, so it's not blasphemy. It seemed he was making a point, first this is where we stand, him, his party, second those things are from God's word, family, children, etc.(whatever else he said). I've seen similar skits by christians in churches or worship situations, pretending to be talking to God on the phone.

6. Joe

Joe New Member

Except he stated God would support him, and not the others.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

But is that blasphemy? Probably not, a lot of people either say this, or think this at one point or another when they believe they are in the right, we even see the attitude here on the BB, are these people blaspheming God?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...which is true if he is the only believer running.

9. Joe

Joe New Member

I think it is an arrogant statement, a bit prideful, but I get arrogant sometimes too. Otherwise, the rest of it seemed alright.
    Imo, it isn't blasphemy. I agree Donna, it is common.

10. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I thought it was cute, but yes he kinda acted like God was a republican. I belong to a union and I see their stickers that go on lunchboxes that say "God bless union people, America needs em. I don't think God cares about union people, unless they are saved. It's kind of like that.

#10 JerryL, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2007
  11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I am not sure it is blasphemy but neither is it innocent,
    It did use God's name vainly and it was sacrilegious.

I found it disgusting and out of line.

12. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

No, that's not the case. God doesn't always support a Christian candidate.

Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Since every ruler is chosen by God you only need to look at history many that weren't believers (Nero, Hitler, Stalin, etc.)

#12 JustChristian, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2007
  13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

But we know God can't be republican since He cares for the poor... :godisgood:

14. JerryL

JerryL New Member

This goes back to another thread where I posted the same thing. If, in America, God is placing them in power, why vote? I don't see where those verses quoted above go anywhere past Israel, maybe not even Israel today if they have elections now. We don't have kings like Israel had, we vote for the higher powers.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

I for one believe God is in control, not the voters, voting is the way God chooses to to accomplish His will in this matter.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

And by the way, even though I don't think it's blasphamy, I didn't think it was in good taste, simply because of it's political purposes.

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Have you ever seen two Christian ball teams play against each other. They both pray to win.

Whose side is God on??? :laugh:

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The winners... :laugh: :wavey:

19. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Mr

Is everything that is done in church appropriate for a campaign speech? My answer is NO. I'm sick and tired of candidates referring to themselves as "God's candidate." How presumptious can you get? That was GW's pitch and look what we got, not only a lousy President but one whose Christianity was very questionable.

20. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Amen, and this amen is from a Republican that was snowballed twice. It won't happen again.