1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blind dates

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Feb 23, 2008.

?
  1. I have never been on a blind date.

55.6%
  2. I have been on a successful blind date.

22.2%
  3. I have been on an unsuccessful blind date.

11.1%
  4. I married one I went on a blind date with.

16.7%
  5. I went on more than one blind date.

16.7%
  6. I have been on more than 5 blind dates.

5.6%
  7. I refuse to go on a blind date.

38.9%
  8. I set people up on blind dates.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I refuse to set people up on a blind date.

33.3%
  10. Other statement

5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Your options?

2. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Blind dates are tricky. People have set physical preferences. That's just the way it is.

love,

Sopranette

4. Joe

Joe New Member

Christians aren't suppose to have set physical preferences

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

But Christians are still human, after all.

love,

Sopranette

6. Joe

Joe New Member

Alright, but I would hope most Christians are mature enough to get past a set physical preference. That's pretty vain.

We are called to be different

7. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Yes, idealy, but realisticly, not so. Not right, but true. People DO judge a book by its cover, but won't ever admit it.

love,

Sopranette

8. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This will sound mean but it's not meant to be mean, but "Christians aren't suppose to have set physical preferences" is just silly. We're not to judge by outward alone, but God made us with bodies. He made us to appreciate beauty. Read thru Song of Solomon and understand that he saw the women's beauty.

All of us have known people who have only a beauty on the outside with nothing inward of any attraction. But to act like a physical attraction isn't a part of dating and courtship doesn't understand how God created us.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I went on a blind date when I was a teenager. Been married to him 30 years.

10. Joe

Joe New Member

Sadly, it appears you are correct. I read through it completely for the first time.

It speaks in constant metaphors, talking in circles. If women do not fit within a set standard of physical beauty, they are worthless. More than worthless, they are demeaned and humiliated in the worst way. Maybe it's like Esau, he didn't appear to have a chance to find favor with God. All odds were stacked against him, even in the womb.
    Maybe I don't understand how God created us, but I'll say I have many friends who are like me. We can be physically attracted to the opposite sex even if they do not fit "the world's standard of beauty". Or apparently, even when they don't fit our Creators standard of beauty in Song of Solomon.

There are no "set physical traits" for us.

Yet I am hoping I misunderstood it. But sadly, that would be difficult to believe in every case of the Songs because to even say such things is sinful.

How sad to demean and humiliate women like that :tear:

My breakdown of Song of Solomon-

8:8 We have a little sister, and she hath no breasts: what shall we do for our sister in the day when she shall be spoken for?
    What?! :eek: Why are brothers doing envisioning their own sisters in such a manner? It's also indicating a man would not want a women with this physical trait (flat chested women?)

4: 10 How fair is thy love, my sister, my spouse! how much better is thy love than wine! and the smell of thine ointments than all spices
    5: 1-2 I am come into my garden, my sister, my spouse: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk: eat, O friends; drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved.

My sister, my spouse? I hope this means a sister in christ.

4:7*Thou art all fair, my love; there is no spot in thee.
    Spot

Hoping this is speaking of a woman's soul, and not speaking of her physical appearance. He has no right to judge her in that manner.

I lost a verse in the cut and paste process which compares a man to a young stag. Obviously all men are not young, and can't perform as a young stag but may wish to marry anyways. Who wants to live alone at a ripe old age? Many wives love their husbands, most know men physically slow down as they age. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This book is not an example of godly love imo.

11. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Joe is correct. Christians aren't to look at the outward appearance. We are to look at character and most importantly if the person is a Christian and loves the Lord.

In the world not of it.

I was in a church where the "Christians" were acting in a worldly manner.

I was younger and it almost turned me completely away from Christianity.
    You don't know who's watching you and you might just turn someone away by your actions.

12. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is ridiculous. Physical attraction plays a role, but it is not the only role.

I'd bet that those speaking on this board are physically attracted to their spouses on at least some level. It doesn't mean that they have to be stereotypical beauty queens, but you can't be physically repulsed by someone and have a healthy marriage.

13. Joe

Joe New Member

Kudos to Amy G & ccorbinson :thumbs:

Funny how God brings people together sometimes...

14. TC2

TC2 Member

Blind dates with two diff guys. Married the last, our 10th anniversary is coming up this year. Best thing I ever did!

15. AAA

AAA New Member

My marriage was arranged...

I never went on any date, because I believe in the doctrine of courtship...For a brief understanding of courtship read Gen 24...In Gen. 24 the 2 people never dated, however the concept of Courtship can be clearly seen...

Also, in courtship a man never ask the women to marry him. Rather he ask the father of the young lady and the father ask his daughter if she would like to marry the young man...Each of the three involved prays that if it be God's will that HE will arrange the marriage between the two and this is how my arranged marriage come to past. We now have been married for almost 8 years now...