1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book Bargains

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by following-Him, Feb 17, 2005.

1. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

For all self confessed book worms. [​IMG] I must say that as much as I love books I also love a bargain [​IMG] and I thought that in this thread we could share some of the bargains we come across.

This week Rob bought me Foundations of the Christian Faith by James Mongomery Boice which was £24.99 marked down to £8.99 and today I bought The Theology of the Letter to the Hebrews by Barnabas Lindars SSF which was originally £10.99 marked down to £4.99.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wow! GREAT deals!

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

For those of you who like to search for books online, go to allbookstores.com

This site will search all of the available websites that sell books and give you the best prices.

4. following-Him

Many thanks for the info. [​IMG]

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. following-Him

Latest bargains are:

The English Reformation Revisited ed. Christopher Haigh. £14.99 down to £6.99

The Rise of Evangelicalism: The Age of Edwards, Whitefield and the Wesleys by Mark A. Noll £16.99 down to £8.99

:D

7. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

I bought a copy of a book on the sinking of the Titanic, published the year after. Got it for a quarter several years ago.

[​IMG]

8. natters

natters New Member

9. following-Him

Todays bargains came from our favourite Christian book/coffee shop, but I have had some good bargains from the internet too. [​IMG]

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    99 Cent books (and most Ebay) have huge shipping charges to counter the low costs. They are $5 for first book, $4 for each added in order.

So get 3 books (worth 10 each) for $16 which is not that great a saving

11. natters

natters New Member

Depends on the book. I bought a technology textbook from him recently for $5.99 (that's including the shipping) which would have cost me $110 at the nearby bookstore. Most books I've bought from him would sit at the $50-$60 range normally, so I'm quite happy. [​IMG]

But yes, ebay can seem better that it really is, because it's easy to forget about the shipping costs when bidding. [​IMG]

12. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

I never even consider bidding until I've checked teh shipping costs. :D
    But I've found some really good deals on Ebay with books--especially ones that are hard to find.

13. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Second hand shops such as the Goodwill Store and the Salvation Army Store (here in the USA) can have really good books for 10 cents to a couple of dollars. I have gotten books that way that would have cost me hundreds of dollars from a bookstore new. If you ever go to garage sales, you can also find great deals on books.

14. following-Him

I have not bought on Ebay. I usually find bargains in SPCK shops or charity shops or find the odd "treasure" in the sales at Christian book shops. [​IMG]

15. natters

natters New Member

16. west

west New Member

Theres a big discount store near me called "Ollies" .I can;t believe how low their prices are .I bought a book their for 3 dollars new and right down the road at the Christian book store it was 18 dollars .Ollies has more Christian books then the Christian book store has .Alot of Bibles too.

17. following-Him

Sounds like my kind of book store [​IMG]

18. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I enjoy reading different textbooks in fields such as biology, geology, physics, chemistry, psychology, sociology, meterology, therymodynamics, economics, etc. I go to Amazon nand look around for the most popular textbooks, and read all the reviews to get some info. Then when I pick the one I want, I just scroll down to the "all editions" link and hit it. You see, textbooks of this flavor run 110-130 dollars, but the price of even the second to last edition will drop substancially because students are always forced to buy the new edition. For most intro classes, there are many textbooks, and many editions, so you can usually find a 2000+ published book for $3 dollars that was 110 dollars two years ago. Goldmine! Unfortunaly, some of the more obscure subjects I enjoy, like planatary physics or planatary geology, only have a few authors and printings, so even 1992+ publish dates will still run 40 or 50 dollars :(

Now my other passion in Biblical commentaries. Unfortunatly, I mostly enjoy the ones in current series (NICOT, NIGTC, Pillar, NAC, etc) and they have a pretty fixed priced, used or new no matter where you go. Of course they average about 25-30 dollars instead of 110 but they are still to expensive to buy flippently.

19. following-Him

I got another couple of great bargains. :D

"The Motif of Wonder in the Gospel of Mark" by Timothy Dwyer was £55.00 now £10.00 and

Evangelism in the Early Church by Michael Green, was £12.99 and now £6.99

both from SPCK online bookshop and was delivered to my door less than 48 hours from ordering. :D

20. following-Him

Two more bargains :D

Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity by Mark A. Noll. Was £11.99 down to £6.99

The Jesus Quest: The third Search For the Jew of Nazareth by Ben Witherington III was £19.99 down to £8.99 :D