1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book of Life

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by loDebar, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I need your thoughts on the names being in the Book of Life,

We know some names are not written
    Rev 13:8
    And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Rev 20:15
    And whosoever was not found written in the book of lifewas cast into the lake of fire.

We know some names are blotted out
    Psa 69:28
    Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.

Rev 3:5
    He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels

We know from these verse fellowlaborers (Christians names are in threbook

Phl 4:3

And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

Are all names in the Book of Life, then some removed , not to be found "written in the Book"?

2. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the "book of the living" is different from the "book of Life." The book of the living is the one that determines the number of our days on the earth. So if I die tomorrow, my name would be removed from that book. On the other hand, the book of Life is the book of all who belong to God (the elect) who were written in this book before the world was created.

3. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are right on the book of the living,

but a name being blotted out of the Book of Life does not fit the narrative about the elect. Why would a name be taken out, in God's foreknowledge?

4. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you referring Revelation 3:5? "He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angel."
    The statement "I will not blot out his name" does not mean that God actually erases people's names out of the Book of Life. The point is assurance, meaning that those who belong to Him will permanently be in this book. To say that people's names can be erased from the book of life would be a contradiction to his foreknowledge and to Revelation 13:8.

5. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    I listed that verse, It seems to say there are some names not blotted out , therefore some are

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels

6. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if God knows who will and who will not be saved then why would they be written to later be erased out of the Book of the Life?

7. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    right,
    It seems like you say, the names are written then removed.

negates predestination doesn't it

8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no Scripture of a name having been blotted out of the book of life. One is written or not.

The book of living, is that which records all of that which the living did as seen in the Revelations (“...books were opened...”).

9. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    never written, or blotted out
    And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Rev 20:15
    And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

but to some are not blotted out is to imply they could be blotted out

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a note of caution:

There are times implications may be produced, however notices are such used for doctrine or even strong speculative thinking and teaching.

When presented, such (as exampled by Paul in a letter) must be stated as not from the Lord (of doctrinal standing) but is given as a personal opinion and to be taken as such.

11. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    so Is your advise put an asterisk by every passage you do not believe.

I thought all scripture was given by the aspiration

12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do not extend such thinking to my view of Scriptures. Opinion is not Scriptures, and one's thoughts applied as implications Scripture makes is not Scriptures.

As such, I was responding to your statement, "but to some are not blotted out is to imply they could be blotted out"

Like I stated:
    "There are times implications may be produced, however notices are such used for doctrine or even strong speculative thinking and teaching.

When presented, such (as exampled by Paul in a letter) must be stated as not from the Lord (of doctrinal standing) but is given as a personal opinion and to be taken as such"
    So, if one speculates (as you do in the quote of your post) that the mention of blotting out implies that blotting out occurs, that is an opinion and not a statement of fact.

Speculation about Scripture is not Scripture.

Implications one may assume from reading the Scriptures is not Scripture.

Thoughts one may think as pertaining to Scripture is not Scripture.

Only Scripture is Scripture.

Trust that clears up any misconception.

13. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not speculation to receive scripture as true. But we must understand what is being presented. The addresses in Paul's letters is not scripture.? wrong. Maybe the chapter and verse #'s.

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Did I not stress enough for your liking that Scripture is Scripture?

Do you actually place your own speculation about Scripture as Scripture?

Even Paul did not do this, although we take ALL that he wrote as Scripture.

1 Corinthians 7:
    25Now concerning virgins I have no command of the Lord, but I give an opinion as one who by the mercy of the Lord is trustworthy.
    In other words, the opinion Paul gave is why we now take it as Scripture because Paul, himself, was trustworthy in delivering factually and accurately what God presented.

Now, it would be best if I withdraw unless you have a more specific question.

15. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    no, I agree, but do not assign , opinion status anywhere. To say some names are present, some are blotted out and some names are not found is logical to understand some names are blotted out, or how are they not written.

Rev 17:8
    The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

There names were not in the Book of Life from the creation of the world..

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

what happens to names of one who does not overcome? All the negatives happen? names is blotted out, not confess the name

16. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the clear statement of Scripture without any extrapolations.

1) Rev. 3:5
    There is is a difference indicated between those that overcome, and those that do not. Those who overcome are clothed in White. no mention of the others being clothed. Those who also overcome are also recognized before the Father. No mention of what happens when the others approach. Those who overcome do not have names blotted, no mention of what happens to those who do not overcome.

Ultimately, there is no reason to suspend reason and suggest that there are those present who have their name blotted out and are not overcomes.

2) Rev. 17:8
    The account of the beast coming out of the bottomless pit. The wonder of all those on earth who have not been saved (no name in the book of life) wonder when they look upon the beast.
    Now, the "book of life" is seen in the final judgment as a record of all and ONLY those that are redeemed.

Therefore, because such get white robes (Rev. 3) and are noted as overcomes (Rev. 3) then it follows that no redeemed have their name blotted out, for all redeemed are saved and overcome and are recognized by the Father.

Important questions beg to be ask:

1). IoDebar, are you in deed an overcomer, not by your own strength, but by the work of the Holy Spirit?

2). Are you progressing along the stair steps of what Peter states the believer should add to the Faith God implants? (1 Peter 1:5-8)

3). As a result of that "adding to your faith" have you evidence of the gifts of the Holy Spirit (Love, Joy, Peace, Long-suffering, ...) found in Galatians 5:22-23?

For Peter and Paul both desired that believers not be conformed to this world, but transformed, their minds renewed not by self helps and self effort, but by growth in wisdom and knowledge of the Scriptures, fellowship with the Spirit, and enduring in His grace.

I am not doubting your salvation, but from what you are posting I just wanted to be affirmed of you being an overcomer. For only the overcomer will bear the true fruit of the Spirit and can truly progress to exampling God's love.

17. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    This has not been stated, The one with the names blotted out are the same ones who names are not written in the Book. They are not at the same place . It is the only way the Book seems to fit.
    Notice we do not have a narrative of names entered in the Book just remove.

The sequence is names are in the book, names blotted out and names not found

I was saved 52 years ago this summer, Raised at the feet of Gamaiel sort of speak, My family has a long line of Preachers. I attended every service,

,Since you are from Texas, I am sure you know of W A Criswell, J Vernon Mcgee , perhaps Lester Roloff. To show my position better John McArthur and Tony Evans are not deep. mostly fluff.

My studies and the leadng of the Holy Spirit show we as Baptist are basically teaching a humanistic doctrine, celebrating the Human experience over the spiritual.

18. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I placed in bold a problem in the post that you might need to review. For if one’s name isn’t written then it cannot be blotted out.

There are not names added to the book, for all names were placed before the world established.

There is no Scripture statement that shows a name ever being blotted out.

All who have names written in the book are redeemed and they are also overcomers.

Lastly, heritage does not answer the questions I put to you, but they are not, but their influence continues. And the memories of listening to them is sweet.

In fact, each would have probably ask similar questions.

19. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saved, by the Grace of God, Serving God, but find many problems in Church teachings vs scripture, mostly transnational and man's opinions being repeated as doctrine. Good people, Good pastors, just mislead , maybe generations ago. They do not know. I

It is as you say There are no names added to the Book, only removed or blotted out, That is not what we teach , We teach that a new Christian is added, The scripture says opposite, a overcome is NOT blotted out. Completely opposite.

This verse, I might have mentioned it incorrectly, the "foundation of the world " modifies "Jesus slain" not the "names written",

So all names were in the book, some had to be blotted out,,some are not

I agree,,the Preachers listed, would not know agree with me on some issues but would on most of the normal scriptural Baptist teaching. I was just showing my background and the type of influence I had. I decided not to rely on man's ideas of scripture but scripture , alone for doctrine.

There is no controversy in this thread, just rightly divide the scripture.

20. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for giving a glimpse into you background. I enjoy reading how young men have been brought along in the way of the Lord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.