1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Books on Dispensationalism, New Covenant Theology, etc.

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by BibleBob, Jul 17, 2004.

1. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

I am interested in studying the differences between dispensationalism and new covenant theology, etc. and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good books on the subject. I'm looking for something that will give me a good overview of it all. Any helpful wensites would be great too. Thanks and God bless.

Bob

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Regarding NCT, I recommend the book entitled: New Covenant Theology by Tom Wells and Fred Zaspel. With the exception of the amill eschatology, it is the best treatment of the relevant texts that I have ever seen.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

There Really Is A Difference{/i] by Renald Showers.

Dispensationalism by Charles Ryrie

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I second that motion. Ryrie's work is a thorough explanation of dispensationalism that avoids being overly esoteric.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Study the Bible and you will not come up with covenenat theology, dispensationalism nor progressive dispensationalism (that has changed numerous times). When you study the historical background of each book then you will come up with the correct interpretation. Correct exegesis is always past tense.

But if you want to read books on dispensationalism then read books by Chafer, Scofield, J.N. Darby, Larkin C.H. McIntosh Ryrie Blaising, Bock and Wallace.

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I would also encourage you to read "Progressive Dispensationalism" by Bock and Blaising. I don't agree with PD, but it is an aspect of Dispensationalism that must be dealt with.

7. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Unfortunatly, there is no book that compares these twos hermanutics as NCT is more centered on debating Covenant Theology and I don't think dispensationalist even know it exists yet. As for them two hermanuitcs on their own though, Daniel David is right to reccomend New Covenant Theology by Wells and Zaspel, as it is the best, and I believe, perhaps only treatment in print. For more information, you can search the web and find websites that support NCT with numerous articles. As for Dispensationlism, I second Pastor Larry that Dispensationlism by Ryrie is the best treatment and what I found the most helpful. It interacts with Progressive Dispensational and Covenant Theology and helps defend some of dispensationalism weaker points very well (almost convinced me :D ). On the other hand, I do NOT reccomend "There Really is a Difference" by Showers. It is written at a rather dumb downed and simple level, is often silly, and only interacts with Covenant Theology in the first few chapters (though I thought it was fair with its description of covenant theology). I read about half this book and when I realized it had little to offer I sent it back to Amazon.

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Renalds also takes a two gospel view (the gospel of the kingdom being different). It is only good as an introductory book.