1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Borrow $million for build bigger church?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by ormond, Aug 22, 2002.

1. ormond

ormond New Member

I think my paster has his small old church
    but he want borrow $1,000,000 for
    building bigger church?

Do you think too much?

Bro Rockwell Butler

2. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

It really depends on the need and financial situation of the church.

These days, generally speaking, $1,000,000 is not much for a new, decent sized church in a desireable location.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Borrowing, on the whole, has its difficulties. It mortgages the future of the church. It's fine when you are growing, but if attendance drops off(perhaps the pastor leaves), the smaller number is left with the debts of the larger.

I don't think it's always wrong, but it's right to be careful and prayerful. Is there an immediate need? Could it be met by, say, renting larger facilities until the church can raise the money?

Call me cranky, but I've seen too many churches beset by financial difficulties that lead to spiritual difficulties.

This is not a blanket condemnation of borrowing, but it's right to be careful and prudent. I'm not saying anything against your pastor, because every situation is different and has to judged on its own merits.

4. yankeefan

yankeefan New Member

Borrowing should always be done cautiously but if the bank approves I see no problem.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Here is southern California, home of high real estate prices, any kind of building project can be quite costly. Add to that the fact that many of the churches here have larger congregations (5thousand on up). Even adding a modest fellowship hall can run into the millions if you need to acquire the land.

I think a church should not borrow the money until they've got pledges from the congregation to contribute to the project.