1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boy made honorary Marine before he dies

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by carpro, Jul 22, 2012.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.wtop.com/209/2901957/Boy-made-honorary-Marine-before-he-dies

Boy made honorary Marine before he dies

WASHINGTON - Before he died, 12-year-old Cody Green achieved his dream of becoming a United States Marine.

Green had always admired the strength and courage of the Marines says his father, David Snowberger.

Snowberger tells an Indiana-based television station the Marines decided Green had showed "strength and honor and courage" through his health battles.

The Marines decided to make the boy an honorary member, giving him navigator wings.

However, for one Marine, that wasn't enough.

[​IMG]
    A United States Marine stands watch over the hospital door of 12-year-old Cody Green in Florida, Ind. After successfully battling leukemia since he was 22 months old, Green died after a fungus attacked his brain. (Courtesy WLFI/Riley Children's Hospital)

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Standard procedure, the military takes care of its own:thumbsup:

3. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

This was a noble gesture. :thumbsup:

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Very touching. Kudos to the Marine Corp for this noble act!

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes I agree that this certainly was an honorable thing to do for this child.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

No one going to complain about government law breaking under Obama's rule?

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What law? Dollars to doghnuts, the sentry was part of a the local USMCR unit's community service project or a local Marine recruiter on his off time or a combination of both. In any case, no government funds were spent specifically on the operation. I don't think the Reserve unit had their members there on drill status and the recruiter is getting paid anyway (and it makes for good, free PR.)

8. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Are you really complaining about this? This is not bad in any way.

Maybe you are just pointing out that other people would complain about it. Either way, it's a derailment.

I think that what they did was a good thing. Like someone else pointed out, it was good PR for the Marines. It was also an amazing gesture by the Marine(s) who stood guard outside the door. That is a sign of respect that honestly can't be measured.

Of everything that I've done so far in the military, one of the things that I am most proud of is being a rifleman in the multiforce colorguard as a part of a Memorial Day service at the Punch Bowl Cemetery (the Arlington of the Pacific). All the branches were present in the colorguard, each with its standard, and a Marine and I were the riflemen. It was a great honor to be there, and a very emotional time as well.

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The USMC couldn't afford to buy the publicity generated by the efforts of one Marine Sergeant. As I read the story, I found there were not multiple Marines pulling sentry duty only the one stood the post.