1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bread for Lord's Supper

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Batt4Christ, Sep 5, 2010.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We keep it traditional and use cornbread (leave out the cracklings during lent).

2. katblue87

katblue87 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you so much for the welcome Brother Glen :) The church I attend will be having communion this Sunday. If you live in Georgia you are most welcome to join us :) And yes, washing feet will be part of our fellowship. It is a shame that PB seem to notoriously have smaller congregations and I cannot figure out why :Whistling
    Thank you again for your introduction,

Sister Kathleen

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I did that I would have to stop off in Kentucky and attend church with kyredneck the other Primitive Baptist on here, if I didn't do that, I would never here the end of it:eek:... I'm in Sacramento California but thank you for the invite... I follow a lot of Primitive Baptist preachers and I might even have heard of yours... What church do you attend in Georgia and who is your pastor?... Brother Glen:)

4. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose that the different way(s), i.e., What exactly are the only Biblically correct element(s) AND the extent to which the LS must be observed (Open, Closed, or Close) is IMHO pretty much left up to each local church to decide. I may be wrong in my assertion(s) about these things. but so far as I've discovered, the NT seems to be relatively silent about the details of this particular ordinance. BUT, when one seems that the Bible IS quite definite on the ordinance of Baptism, it would seem (to me at least) there God's Word appears to be rather definitive as to the proper subjects and mode. Am I overlooking some things concerning the L's S? I'd appreciate the rest of you B Boarder's input on both of these aspects of both ordinances. We ARE told to observe these ordinances in the Great Commission as recorded in Matthew 28:18-19 , but how precisely we are to observe the Lord's Supper IMHO God's Word seems to give each local church somewhat of a leeway. What do you BB'ers think about this?

5. katblue87

katblue87 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I attend the Forsyth Primitive Baptist Church where Brother Dan Hall is our Pastor. The sermon's are streamed live and recorded on our FB page so please have a listen if God pulls you in that direction. Are there many PB churches in California?
    So your other PB friend is from KY? What a beautiful state!! I lived in Bowling Green for 20 years and still miss it. Lovely rolling hills.

6. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist

7. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there a Primitive Baptist Churches' way of observing the LS/ (Don't mean to seem rude, but I didn't see where you specifically laid out the PBC's way of observing the L'S. Maybe it's jusy my 75+ YO noggin that's misplaced your statement(s) RE about the PBC'es's method of observing the L's S. .... If so, please forgive me & carry on your conversation. (Thanks in advance for your input on this matter. :Biggrin:Biggrin:Biggrin:Biggrin

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is correct. The Greek word invariably used for the bread of the Lord's supper is artos, which is the standard word for bread made from wheat (e.g. Mark 3:20; Luke 4:4). There is a word for unleavened bread, azumos, but that is never used in connection with the Lord's supper.

• Like Like x 1
  9. katblue87

katblue87 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll add that my father-in-law is also a retired PB paster. His name is Brother James Heard. Many years ago he did air sermons on an AM radio station. I think the station was local so not sure if you could have heard of him or not.

10. katblue87

katblue87 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure if you are addressing this question to me specifically?? We have a somewhat shorter service. Break bread and share wine, then wash feet. All with the members of our church denomination family. I suppose this would be called a "close" communion.

11. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist

12. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just asking (ANY one.), Is the Lord's Supper the ordinance whereby we are to "commune" (i.e., to have something in common) with Jesus Christ (e.g., "I am crucified with Christ,' etc., as in Galatians 2:20 , or are we only supposed to commune only with the saints who are in attendance at the local church to which we are members or is it a combination of both? Also, what are your views when someone in a pastoral position takes the L's S elements with him & administers them to, say, a shut-in or a very ill church member who's confined to the ER of that local church's area? AND, are we also to commune with "disciplined" members who are still considered members of that local church? I know that these are actually multi-choice questions, & if each question needs its own thread, fine. The reason I've asked these questions is because, although I'm not (nor ever have been) a pastor, I've lived in at least 2 relatively transient areas, & I've been asked these sorts of questions several times & honestly don't see where the NT specifically answers them. Can any of you B B'ers supply me with specific NT verses/passages on these matters? Thanks in advance for your replies.:Thumbsdown:Thumbsdown:Thumbsdown

13. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recall a so-called "Christian" song that was sung by many back in the 1970s-1980s. It had a line or two that went: "God said it , and I believe it, and that settles it for me!" IMHO, if "God said it," that should settle the matter right then & there whether one chooses to believe it or not! (Can I get me a witness on that? ;);););):Thumbsup:Thumbsup:Thumbsup:Thumbsup)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist