1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Breaking news...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by JohnDeereFan, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I see. But, you don't mind duplicating the efforts of liberals to criticize conservatives.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might have noticed that my kind are rather greatly outnumbered on this board. :smilewinkgrin:

Has this thread set a record for the most pages in this forum? :)

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

There's a reason for that. Most have probably figured out that their arguments can't stand the weight of scrutiny so they quit making them here. They go places where they won't be challenged as rigorously. You, on the other hand, haven't figured that out yet. You still think you are making good arguments,while the rest of knowingly smile and think, "Here comes Ken again, for the millionth time after he said he wouldn't come here." And we just kind of snicker, and go on about our business, amused by the things that are convincing to some.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you do that in real life?: "'What did the doctor say to the pretty girl with the bad knee? Ans: What's a lousy joint like this doing in a pretty girl like you?' The preceeding was a joke. It was only a joke. Had it been an actual anecdote..."

((This was a joke.))

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Yes, I do. In verbal communication, my facial expression, tone of voice and body language tells others when I'm joking. Don't you do the same thing?

Since I can't see or hear you on the BB, it's hard to figure out when you're joking and when you're serious.

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, of course not. If I had to give a disclaimer "The following is a joke/The preceeding was a joke" anytime I told a joke, I'd have to assume that the people I was talking to were morons.

#126 JohnDeereFan, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2009
  7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Do you realize that this message board is different from verbal communication? I can't see or hear you to understand that you're telling a joke. You gave no indication that you were joking and just assuming that I know you're joking isn't good enough. I've seen people on this board say that Catholics are watching us through our televisions, which sounds like a joke to me, but they were dead serious. I'm not saying you need 2 sentences of disclaimer, but don't assume that everybody knows you were joking.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) So you don't want to be challenged? Anyone who doesn't agree with conservatives is just supposed to withdraw? Pastor Larry, I am not afraid of you in debate.

2) You don't. You harass me and don't even post about the subject the thread is about.

#128 KenH, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  9. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

It's sad that a thread can go this off topic. Where's the moderator for the moderators? What happens when the moderators are out of control?

10. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

:lol: I'm kind of glad its left open so the clashes can go on

maybe 'til its out of the system

while not messing up other threads. :thumbs:

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I don't mind being challenged. I enjoy it. It's why I come here.

You shouldn't be. There's nothing to be afraid of. It's an exchange of ideas.

I ask questions about why you don't keep your word. That's not harassing. You are the one who promised not to come back in here. You are the who broke your promise and didn't keep your word. I am not the bad guy for wondering why.

There was never really a topic to this thread, and no one is out of control. No one knows why Palin resigned and what she intends to do. It turned into conservative bashing early on by someone who promised to stop talking politics. I was curious as to why. As you can tell, he won't answer that question.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there was. You refused to participate in it and instead have done nothing in this thread but hurl personal attacks against me. If one doesn't want to participate in the topic of a thread(or at least somewhere in the ballpark), then it would seem to me that one should refrain from posting in it.

In this case, you have attempted to make me the topic. Well, my name is not in the OP of this thread.

#132 KenH, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the record there were no personal attacks hurled at KenH and I have never spammed this board.

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

/r

Surely even you don't believe this! Remember, it's a sin to lie.

15. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bailout, Palin-Style

Accidental double post, sorry.

16. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bailout, Palin-Style

Big girls don't quit .... or so some say.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/04/AR2009070402254.html

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Ironic that this accusation comes from one who promised he wouldn't.

There were no personal attacks hurled. There was a questioning of why you aren't keeping your word, and a question about whether or not your political assertions are well-grounded. You didn't, and you aren't.

If one said he wouldn't post in these kinds of threads, then it seems he shouldn't post in it. Furthermore, as I recall, you quickly turned the topic of this thread from Palin to conservatives in general, so I think you broke your own standard. But in the end, it doesn't really matter. You are doing something you said you wouldn't and you are upset because someone is trying to ask you why.

It was a better than topic than the original one. Sarah Palin resigned for reasons nobody is quite sure about. That's not a great topic. KenH breaks his word for umpteenth time. How is that less of a topic? Sarah Palin's resignation affects no one here. KenH's posting does.

Your name shouldn't be anywhere in this thread since you promised not to post in these threads anymore.

#137 Pastor Larry, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2009
  18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I can't help but wonder why a man like you, Pastor Larry, would continue to harass a board member, KenH, who has decided to post on a forum he said he would leave in the past. As a pastor is this the way you would treat a member of your congregation who has changed their mind on something as insignificant as where to post information on the Internet?

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I am questioning why he hasn't done what he said he would do. I am questioning why Ken went back on his word. Why is that so wrong? Ken hasn't offered an explanation that I have seen. There of any of a number that he could add, but he hasn't.

But if you have been here very long, you know how doggedly Ken has pursued people who didn't keep their word. So when people do it to him, it is following in the footsteps that Ken himself has already trod.

If a person makes a commitment and then doesn't follow through, yes, I would question them on it. As I recall, Ken put his "resignation" in terms of sin, that it was causing him to have bad attitudes and respond wrongly to others. That makes it even more significant. If a church member says, "A certain thing causes me to sin and therefore I will stop," and then doesn't do so, it is a significant issue.

So Robert, it may be no big deal to you, but you haven't been here long enough to know all of this.

Furthermore, in the end, it's all in good fun. Ken could simply explain why he came back. He has avoided all those questions. If you notice, he has responded to virtually every post I have put up, but has studiously avoided answering that question. Strange, isn't it?

You haven't been here long enough to see the many faces of Ken, but Ken has changed positions on issues so many times, it has become a regular staple of the board to remind Ken of it. And Ken knows it's true. He probably laughs about it too. This is just yet another example of it. And this is a discussion board. It's not life or death. We are having fun here while discussing issues of life. So, in your newness, don't read more into than is here. I am not harassing Ken and am not making personal attacks on him. That's clear from the posts. This is a free association. The only way that someone can be harassed is by coming back, if indeed they think they are. Now obviously, Ken isn't being harassed, and anyone who is remotely familiar with harassment knows that.

Ken can answer or not answer. He's managed to answer everything else. Just not this.

#139 Pastor Larry, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2009
  20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just find it a little confusing that, privately, Ken is sending me friend requests and then, publically, he extremely rude and beligerant toward me.

I don't think Ken's antenna brings in too many stations, if you know what I mean. He may be a couple Bradys shy of a Bunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.