1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brick and Morter Seminaries v. Distance Ed Seminaries

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by michaelbowe, Mar 23, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have known two trustees who were not trustworthy. One shacked up with two ladies in his congregation and another was fired from his church. Who fires them as trustees apart from the political machine of his friends?

When Dilday was fired at SWBTS a number of the trustees were proven to be liars. Who held them accountable? Nobody!

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would caution here against personal attacks on specific schools or profs or trustees.

This is NOT edifying and the thread will close unless it keeps on topic.

Thanks to all.

3. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

I'm not sure the post you are wording caution against is waging a personal attack, but rather stating facts, and posing a question. Who does hold the trustees accountable? When bad situations occur, like the one aforementioned, who makes them accountable? It is off subject somewhat, but does cause question to the reputation of DE or BM seminaries. Your thoughts?

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

There's a difference between facts and opinions/accusations/judgements.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

With DE and the internet anyone can gain an audience. I saw it in a church I pastored. The ignorance and rampant heresies that were present were shocking. Some of it came into the church through a very well meaning man who was eager to learna nd grow. He began to listen to tapes of a pastor's sermons and began taching that mkaterial not realizing how much in error it was.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This is indeed a danger. It is also dangerous to repeat what some hear from some professors. Both ends of the theological spectrum can and do distort the Word of God.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The Guy on the tape wasn't named "Les Feldick", was it?

8. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

You don't have to listen to tapes to be in error... there are plenty of first hand accounts of radical false teachings to be found... :tonofbricks:

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I remember right his name was Thoeme.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Although I certainly would not know this for sure, just based on this post and what has been said, I would suspect you are here referring to 'Col.' R. B. (Bob) Thieme, Jr., the long time, now retired Pastor of Berachah Church, Houston, TX., who is now suffering in the advanced stages of Alzheimers disease, who has had a fairly widely distributed 'tape ministry' (and a fairly widespread assortment of personal followers) for many years.

It is possible, although I would consider it unlikely, that one might be referring to his son, R. B. (Bobby) Thieme, III, who was called to succeed his father as the Pastor of Berachah Church, and which church also has available his tapes, as well, for distribution, although I have heard little of these tapes being anywhere near as controversial (nor as widely distributed) as those of his father. And I would strongly suspect if you are talking about more than 5 years ago, or so, R. B. Thieme, Jr. is the one in view.

Just for information, with neither advocacy nor condemnation intended or implied, here. :thumbs:

Although I can assure you, I do have a good deal of personal knowledge (as well as possess several) of the tapes and books of R. B. Thieme, Jr. and have had some of both, for up to 40 years.

Ed

#90 EdSutton, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Very true.

Unfortunately. :tear:

Ed

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

As the Moderator of the Forks of Dix River Baptist Church, I rule that this above comment is out of order! [​IMG] [​IMG]

However, I rule that a long belated "Welcome to the Baptist Board! :wavey:" is in order, here.

Ed

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, I do not believe that Southern Seminary in Louisville, whose current President is Dr. Al Mohler, to be the "biggest" of the SBC Seminaries, in numbers, although this institution might arguably have historically been, and may well still considered to be the most influential, of the "Big Six" on an 'SBC-wide' basis.

I believe the distinction of "biggest" belongs to Southwestern Seminary in Ft. Worth, whose current President is Dr. Paige Patterson.

[Edited to say I believe I could be wrong, here, as to current numbers, as Southern may apparently have a few more students, in 2009, than does Southwestern, although the numbers appear to be very close.]

Ed

#93 EdSutton, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Out of curiosity, exactly what do the initials "RE" stand for in this discussion.

I do get the distinction, when contrasted to "DE", I think.

BTW and FTR, sometimes some of the Acronyms and abbrevs. can be a bit confusing to some of us, who are not deeply into the 'computer speak' lingo, IMO. ;)

Ed

15. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

RE: Residential Education
    DE: Distance Education

16. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member