1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bridge collapses in Minneapolis

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by mcdirector, Aug 1, 2007.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

This just happened 30 minutes ago. I'm watching on Fox news -- Bridge was under constructon. The entire span over the Mississippi looks like it dropped.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

There is no telling how many cars are in the river. This is amazing and terrifying footage.

Is anyone else watching this?

3. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Yes, I'm watching it on CNN. They're saying a school bus full of kids was also on the bridge. Some of the kids were injured, but the bus didn't fall into the river. They don't know how many cars fell in. :1_grouphug:

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I just got home and see it on Msnbc. This is horrible...reminds me of the I-40 bridge that collapsed near Webber Falls, OK a couple of years back, after it was hit by a barge.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Yes -- it's terrible

AND the school bus -- what a relief that it actually stopped before it went on the bridge. The kids are understandably upset.

It's heartwarming to see people helping people, but dear God, so many will be hurt. Families worried. I don't have words, Father. But know they are in Your hands.

6. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Oh no! I just turned on the news after reading this thread. I have a brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and a niece and nephew there. And they are usually commuting this time of day. Oh, how I pray they were nowhere near this!

But I also pray for all the ones who ARE there...for them and their families wondering where they are....
    :praying: :tear: :praying:

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Oh Hopeful! Have you tried calling yet? Keep us posted . . .

8. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I've tried a couple of numbers--no answer yet. (That's not unusual, though, so I'm trying not to panic.)
    I've also got a call and an email in to another couple of family members.

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

OK -- I'm praying and in those prayers -- well, it's also for your calmness.

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep us posted on your family, Hopeful!

11. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Well, I still can't get through to them on ANY phone numbers I have for them ("all circuits are busy" is the message I keep getting--yes, I bet they ARE busy, with folks like me trying to get through!)....but I finally reached another family member who said that she doesn't believe that they would have a "normal" reason to be on that bridge (it's not the work route usually taken), so I'm going to take heart in that.

But I sure am still praying for them...and all those folks we know ARE there. Those news images are very sad and scary.

Thanks for the prayers for me and my crew--I DID get calmer, Bitsy. :godisgood:

12. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got home from work at 10:30 pm and saw this. The bridge was being resurfaced and having some joint work done. We do not yet know what part the construction (if any) had in the collapse, but the state and federal departments of transportation will investigate what happened. I was down in that area two weeks ago helping my sister and her husband move to Minneapolis - they are fine.

13. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It brought me back to 1989 when the San Fransisco Bay bridge collapsed during the World series. I was stationed at McClellan Air force Base at the time.

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Hopeful -- any news this morning? I'm still praying for you this morning.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Yeah, now you see why I'm terrified of bridges.

16. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Thanks for the prayers! I didn't get word about my family's safety until about an hour and a half ago, and am just now getting online to do some posting.

They're all safe....they had been on...or under...or something (I didn't talk to them myself) just prior to the collapse--they were only about 10 miles away when it happened. I'm thankful for that distance for them....but it's still too, too close! I watched the news for a little while last night and early this morning, but the longer time passed that I couldn't get news on them, it made me too sick to watch all the footage. What horror!

I'm keeping my prayers going for all those other people that ARE there. TC, glad your family is okay, too.
    :praying: :praying:

17. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I'm scared of 'em, too, donnA. And this doesn't help a bit! :tear:

18. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Hopeful - So glad everyone is safe!