1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Britain’s Unexplained Wealth Orders Give the State Too Much Power

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by KenH, Jun 13, 2019.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Authorities in Britain have begun trying out a new police power called unexplained wealth orders under a law that took effect last year. The police go to a court and say you’re living way above any known legitimate income. The judge then signs an order compelling you to show that your possessions (whether a house, fancy car, or jewelry) have been obtained honestly and not with dirty money. In the meantime, the boat or artwork or other assets get frozen, and you can’t sell them until you’ve shown you obtained them innocently.

The kicker: The burden of proof falls on you, not the government. If you don’t prove the funds were clean, Her Majesty may be presumed entitled to keep the goodies.”

Britain's Unexplained Wealth Orders Give the State Too Much Power

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    British poet Oscar Wilde, who went from riches to rags, said, "Alas, I am dying beyond my means."

As for me, I guess that I am glad that I am not in the UK, because I am living beyond my means until the bank wises up. Actually, I am okay but it seems as if I have more month than money sometimes. During the Great Depression, people said that prosperity was just around the corner, which was true, but it turned out that it was just a long, long block. I think that it is the English who say that it is no sin to be poor, just very inconvenient. :Biggrin:Roflmao:Cool

3. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize that this has been happening in the U.S. for over 4 decades now, right?