1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brotherly Love

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dr. Bob, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the demise of fundamentalist W.B. Riley's Northwestern Seminary and Colleges in the early 1950's, the Baptists of Minnesota founded Pillsbury Baptist Bible College in Owatonna in 1957. In a decade it had grown to over 700 students on a lovely campus.

Infighting and practical disagreement in 1968 led to a number of faculty, the President, and 100+ students leaving Pillsbury and founding Maranatha Baptist University in Watertown, Wisconsin. MBU has grown into a large campus, seminary, etc and still standing strong for the fundamental Baptist distinctives and training pastors, educators and some 40 major fields of study.

Pillsbury struggled over the years with identity, distinctives and decreasing enrollment. In 2008 it closed its doors. With the "bad blood" at the splintering four decades in history, Maranatha showed true brotherly love and took all of the records/transcripts from Pillsbury College and maintains them for that school's alumni. I just received a notice from Maranatha that it is hosting an alumni banquet for Pillsbury College alumni. Seldom see such selfless brotherly love among northern hard-nosed Baptists!!

Pillsbury Graduates - Maranatha Baptist University

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Caveat. I attended Pillsbury Baptist Bible College 1965-68 and was one of the upper classmen who left to participate in the founding of Maranatha Baptist University (from which I received my B.A. and the first of the school's M.A. degrees)

I returned to serve as a professor of practical theology at Pillsbury 1996-2000 in hopes of helping the school regain its footing. Those were precious years and I developed strong bonds with the school, Board, etc and wept when then school later closed.

• Like Like x 2
  3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think a cousin of mine may have graduated from Pillsbury around that time. Another went there, but transferred to Faith Baptist in Iowa (I think) when Pillsbury went under.