1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bruce Pearl and the Vols

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Nicholas25, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

They got a much needed win on Saturday night (the 20th) against South Carolina after suffering heartbreaking defeats to Vandy, Ohio State, and Auburn. I really enjoy watching the Vols play now; and it's fun watching them with the expectation that they are going to win or atleast have a good chance. The job Coach Pearl has did in the last two years is one of the best coaching jobs in sports.

Let's just hope Christ Lofton's injury isn't serious!

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

One thing that's troubling me is that the Vols are now losing games the way they did when Buzz was coach. Buzz's boys could never finish down the stretch in big games, and that cost him his job.

Mind you, Bruce Pearl is a much better coach with a better system. I think Bruce will turn it around.

Lofton will likely be out for Ole Miss and perhaps beyond. There isn't any new news on the ankle. X-rays today should tell us a lot more. Without him, JuJuan Smith is going to have to come up big, and Bradshaw & Crews will have to step it up, too. Lofton's injury makes the pre-season dismissal of Major Wingate an even bigger loss, IMHO. No inside threat in the halfcourt game.

3. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we have you guys at home this Sat so GO BIG BLUE!

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

And we really need Lofton back for you guys, though it's not looking good.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Bruce Pearl painting himself orange with a big V and hanging out with the students/fans to support the Lady Vols was one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time!

I keep trying to picture Bobby Knight or Dean Smith with their.....

Nah.

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Didn't I read that the Lady Vols coach and Knight are friends?

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Yes I believe they are friends. Yet, I cannot see Knight with his shirt off and his body painted orange to support her and her team. :laugh:

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I wouldn't either. I wouldn't even have done that when I played, but I guess times change.
    You would have been told to cover up or leave, but that was back in the 50's.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Alongside Coach Pearl was four members of the Vols, also painted orange (one was Steven Pearl, Coach Pearl's son and a freshman walk-on).

I wouldn't doubt that Knight and Summitt would know each other. They're in a rare fraternity. Both have won multiple NCAA titles and an Olympic gold medal.

10. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You guys did what we did vs. GA last week; play very bad the last 10 minutes of the game. The SEC is tough! I think the only conference where every single team is over 500. I am looking forward to see what we can do at home vs. FL in a little over a week.

FINAL SCORE:

UK 76
    TN 57

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The Vols held tough for most of the game and led at the half. However, this very young team is going to have to learn that you can't play for less than 60 minutes and beat the likes of Ohio State, North Carolina, and even teams like Vandy, Auburn and Kentucky.

I hope Major Wingate is proud of skipping his drug test. His not being on the team this season (or ever again) is hurting our frontcourt. Add that Lofton is in street clothes, and it's a miracle we've not been completely run out of the gym over the past few weeks.

Unless this team grows up in a hurry, top 16 RPI and all, we're headed to the NIT.

12. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Chris Lofton might mean more to his team than any single player in the country. Without him the vols are not a very good basketball team/