1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Business meeting agendas...redux

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by TomVols, Jul 25, 2002.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Those of you who have business meeting agendas (Formal ones), how does something get on the agenda? Who decides? How much notice do you require? I know we've discussed this a bit before, but now I'm looking for mechanics that the different pastors/churches may employ.

2. Iakobos

Iakobos Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom,

In our church, to get something on the agenda for the business meeting, all you have to do really is call the church office and speak to the secretary. Agendas are mailed out in the monthly newsletter, but items for discussion can be put in the Sunday bulletin.

One item we have struggled with sometimes is the notice required to add something to the agenda. Our constitution and bylaws require seven days written notice (via bulletin or mailing). While I can somewhat understand the reasoning for this, it has tied our hands on some ocassions. Especially in the last year, as we went through one of those times of internal strife.

Hope this helps. Also, I don't know if I overstepped my bounds by posting in the Pastor's Corner. If I did, I apologize.

God Bless,
    James

3. Pastork

Pastork New Member

Our constitution requires that the agenda be posted one week prior to the business meeting. All items for the agenda must be pre-approved by the elders, who are responsible for setting and posting the agenda. Items are sumbitted to them by the boards (e.g., deacons, evangelism and missions, etc.). If anyone else has a specific item they wish to add to the agenda, they must go to the particular board which provides leadership for that area, or to the elders directly. The business meetings are all then conducted by the chairman of the elders, which is always an elder other that the primary teaching pastor (not by necessity, but because I, as said pastor, want it that way).