1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Busted! Bloggers Force Huffington Post to Retract Ridiculous ’17%’ McDonald’s Wage Cl

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisnumbersdisconnected

Well stated, Rev. :thumbsup:

2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why because their bilingual? I stopped going to Mac Donalds because they speak Spanish in processing my order so I cannot tell if they are even getting it correct. They must feel a special language is need to talk between themselves.

#22 Jedi Knight, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in the '60's, I made about $5 a week (+ tips) delivering newspapers 6 days a week

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    \

Oh, I had a dream paper route in the mid '50s. The paper was 35 cents a week and was passed 6 afternoons after school. I got a 10 cents of the total and had 110 customers. The route extended about 15 blocks, going back to the alley on each intersection. I passed a free paper to the Mayor in City Hall but I got 10 cents from the newspaper for doing it. In those days everybody read the papers in a small town.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Can't you just look at it? LOL
    How do you eat at a French restaurant? They might be in the kitchen giving your order to the chef in French, getting it all wrong as they process it. :p
    In fact, how do you eat at ANY restaurant? They could be speaking Farsi the second they get out of earshot and start processing it.

6. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I understand french speak french at a FRENCH restaurant....duh! Unless your naive, lets not kid ourselves......they speak Spanish to segregate themselves from others. If some Chinese workers spoke Chinese in there face to communicate with each other would they "Hispanics" feel excluded?? You bet! You must learn ENGLISH not Spanish to be an American citizen. It's racist,discriminatory and excluding towards non Spanish speaking citizens.

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

So the problem is actually that you feel excluded, not the language.

I'm going way off topic here for a second then I'll shut up, but gonna put this out there. You may want to think about this, since the language bothers you. It makes no sense that they're doing it to exclude English speaking people. What DOES make sense is one of two things.

1. The owner of a franchise speaks that language or a large portion of the population does, so using that language makes the restaurant run better if the employees use it among themselves.

2. Some restaurants, even very popular, well known ones, use illegal immigrants and student workers and trick them about wages and living conditions, then treat them like dirt and they're stuck and use them to run the business. They're stuck and they're afraid to say anything because of the possible consequences or students may not, especially at first, realize what's going on. Places like that need to get busted, but most people don't think twice about it happening at a big chain place and people don't think about poking around a bit and reporting anything odd.

Maybe befriending someone there and making sure the place is on the up and up and figuring out why would be both interesting and helpful, plus you'd be sure about the why of the language. I'm not sure why you feel it's to be excluded, but that must make you feel icky in some form - I hate to see someone feel bad/offended when the issue may be exactly opposite of what they're thinking.

8. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

What about those who don't speak Spanish applying for a job there? Should they be excluded because they are not bilingual? And don't say that wouldn't happen.

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two points. First, you are not in a position to criticize anyone else's language when you apparently don't understand your own! "Unless YOU'RE naive."

Second, if you don't like the employees speaking Spanish feel free to take your business elsewhere. I live in south Texas. You know, the state that used to be called "Mexico?" 91% of the population here is Hispanic. Many of those Hispanic families were here when Texas broke away from Mexico. Unlike me, who is a first generation American.

When I go into Whataburger (much better than McDonalds) I order this way, "Un número cuatro, por favor." I don't do it to segregate myself. I do it because it is the primary language of 91% of the people in the area in which I live.

10. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Oh but your in a position to criticize those who don't fall in line with your POV? :) You assimilated....like the Borg! Ok Voto what language did they teach you in school growing up in So Tex? Did you take English as a second language?

#30 Jedi Knight, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013
  11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Yup. I tried to explain this to my parents but they still don't understand why so many of those people in the Valley speak Spanish.

And it's not just South Texas- West Texas is also much the same way.

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again - "you're", as in "you are." "Your" is possessive.

I also get wound around the axle with "its" vice "it's"; and "they're, there, and their"....

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I always have to resist the urge to play Grammar Cop also. But it is especially funny considering the subject matter - :laugh:

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was born in Southern California and got most of my education in the midwest. I grew up in a multilingual home. My paternal grandparents spoke Spanish and Gaelic. My maternal grandparents spoke German and French. I learned to speak English from my parents and the children around me as I was growing up.

The problem is that all too many Americans are so ignorant of other languages. Most are either too isolated or to lazy to bother to learn additional languages.

The problem is YOURS, not those who are bilingual. :)

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me say first that I have learned another language which is Navajo. I am not real good at it but I spent two years studying it.

Having said that this is America and we do not have a need to learn another language. If you want to come here and live then you need to learn English. You need to adjust to America, America does not need to adjust to you. It is the height of arrogance to think otherwise.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Personally, I think it is arrogant to refuse to learn another language, but that's just me. Most other countries require their students to take a foreign language (usually English) as a requirement for High School (or equivalent) graduation.

I am fluent in English, American Sign Language (including the PSE and SEE variants), Mexican Sign Language and Colombian Sign Language and passable in speaking Spanish. It's really a great asset to the Gospel to be able to communicate the greatest story ever told in as many ways as possible.

We will have 12 students from the Middle East coming to our school this Fall and I am excited about learning a new Sign Language- or perhaps two!

17. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I blame my iPod.....I'm all thumbs and it try's to guess your "you're", as in "you are." "Your" words.:smilewinkgrin:

#37 Jedi Knight, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  18. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

So the illegals are not arrogant for refusing to learn our language.....it's those Gringo's....

19. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I salute you sir!
    :wavey:

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That's not what I meant to imply at all- but I'm sure you know that.

You all have completely skipped over an important fact. That is, most of Texas was once Mexico. Many of the people that live here are Hispanics born and raised here. Spanish was once the official language of these regions. Many of the folks here have relatives on the other side of the border. So they are not arrogant to hold to their native language any more than a Deaf person is for using ASL instead of English.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.