1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Buy Wine and Milk - Without Price

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, May 29, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come, buy wine and milk, without money and without price. Isaiah 55:1.

A free gospel is the glory of God’s grace, the joy of humble souls, the envy of malicious devils, and the contempt of proud, self-righteous pharisees. MILK is the pure, sweet, soul-nourishing doctrine of Christ. WINE is the generous, heart-reviving comforts of pardon of sins, and peace with God through the blood of Christ. The Lord knows we cannot grow strong, nor be comfortable in our souls, without this precious milk and animating wine.
    O! saith the poor, self-emptied, soul-humbled sinner, this word buy, puts me to a stand. I am poor and penniless; I have nothing to bring but misery and poverty; I am perishing for want of comfort. Thou art the very person invited. The Lord filleth the hungry with good things. O precious word of marvellous grace! Buy— WITHOUT MONEY AND WITHOUT PRICE, or money’s worth. What! have I been five, ten, twenty years, or upwards, in Christ, and have I got no inherent stock of grace, no more worth, or value to buy with, than I had when I first came to him as a poor, naked, and miserable sinner? Must I come, as at first, poor and penniless? Yes: or not at all. The Lord knows what thou art. He invites thee just as thou art. This price just suits thy abject poverty. What an affront would it be to a dear friend, to bring a price in our hands for a rich entertainment, with a free invitation. No affectionate mother more freely administers the breast of nourishment to her hunting infant, than the Lord his milk and wine to thirsty souls. Faith works by the love of this: it operates upon the heart, so as to produce sincere love to God, and cheerful obedience to his word and will. But base unbelief; with a bastard humility, raises jealousies and suspicions of the Lord’s rich love and free grace. One says, It cannot be for me—I am too vile; another, I am unworthy of it: Christ says, “Whosoever will, let him come.” Revelation 22:17.

I thank thee, Lord, who fix’d thy price,
    Exactly suited to my case:
    Tho’ poor and vile in my own eyes,
    I’m freely welcome to thy grace.

No works, no worthiness have I,
    To bring before my Lord to plead,
    But still thou sayest, come and buy:
    Thy grace, my Lord, is free indeed.

- excerpt from William Mason's A Spiritual Treasury For The Children of God, Volume 2, May 29

#1 KenH, May 29, 2023
    Last edited: May 29, 2023
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably not something advertised by Pacific Garden Missions.

Rob