1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

By faith alone or by faith and acting?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Luke,

You should be ashamed of yourself for this thread. You know full well that I believe that true saving faith alone saves. (by Grace through faith)

The question is whether the faith is alive or dead, as James addresses and others have brought up. Jesus says, "You will know them by their fruits." In other words, you will know those who have true saving faith by their actions/works. True saving faith WILL result in works, as I said in that last thread, but which you conveniently left out of your list of quotes.

People can believe something but choose not to follow. I know people who've been told by their doctor that if they keep smoking or eating fatty foods that they will die very soon, yet they choose to keep smoking and eating poorly. Is that because they really don't believe the doctor? Not necessarily. Some say they do believe him but they just don't want to sacrifice the pleasure. They don't want to give up their vice, just like the Rich Young Ruler didn't want to give up his wealth.

You make the assumption that if someone beleives the truth that they have to keep the truth and live by it, but the scripture clearly shows that they may choose to 'trade the truth in for a lie' and so grow defiled in their thinking and given over to their lusts. The scripture clearly teaches that people 'will perish because they refuse to love the truth and so be saved.' That is not my opinion Luke. It is what the Bible actually teaches.

Now, why don't you apologize to me and the board for suggesting that I believe in salvation by works and deal with my actual words.

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Brother, do you know what irresistible grace means and actually teaches?

- Peace

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it's faith alone it sure does. Not to mention that faith is a verb and being so it's self is an action. I heard so many Calvinist say that faith is a work and then now all of a sudden it isn't, go figure. I don't know of any one here who claims to work for there Salvation though the accusation of it is common practice. If you persevere or work to maintain your Salvation as in your doctrines then aren't you working for Salvation?

Besides How can one have faith to be saved by when most Calvinist believe they can't hear or understand until they are saved first. It just seems to me there are so many wholes in the doctrines of grace I'm supprized anyone believes any of it. Faith comes by hearing it isn't handed to us on a silver platter. Which seems to be another whole in it.

Regeneration still means to be saved. There fore when you claim to be regenerated first you are saying by regeneration alone because according to Calvinism, you can't have any faith until you are regenerated.

Maybe you could tell me why Calvinist never lable anything as they define it. Instead of claiming faith alone which relates it is completely alone. Why not just state it as it is. If grace is included then neither is alone these are two completely different things. If it includeds conviction and repentence that makes four and submission with out which you will not have any of it. Then to top it off It's all of God That makes 6 requirements for Salvation and faith is not alone.

It boggles the mind that Calvinist try to tell anyone else there doctrine is wrong. When nothing in there doctrine is supported by scripture. They refuse to define what they believe because it seems to me that way they can change it in an argument as in there claim that faith is a work.
    MB

4. Skandelon

:applause::applause::applause: <---- I'm standing up too

5. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Yes i do preacher, what is your point?

You guys believe that God forces faith and salvation on His elect without giving them a choice to deny it. Likewise you believe that if a person is not one of God's elect that they cannot seek after nor recieve the faith needed for salvation.

This is the main part of DoG that i oppose and believe to be unbiblical.

I also believe that Arminian theology is wrong because they teach that salvation is conditional.

This is why i am just a "regular Christian"

John

6. preacher4truth

Bro, from what you say, you don't know what it teaches. The term "Irresistible Grace" is a bit misleading from what it actually affirms.

But I do agree with you that Arminian theology is errant, and was rightfully condemned. :)

Here is a thread I started on the subject. Note the vehement attacks against it, from those who had no clue as to what it teaches. Especially notice the very last comment.

Here is the link:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=73419

- Peace

#66 preacher4truth, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
  7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This I can agree with Irresistible grace is misleading. Though I am surprized a Calvinist would confess this as truth.
    Its in error because it came out of Calvinism. and Calvinism came out of Catholicism.
    MB

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't see any similarities between Calvinism and Catholicism. :confused:

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

The Calvinsit doctrine of Irresistible Grace is nothing but circular reasoning. If a person believes it was irresistible grace, if the person refuses to believe it was common or resistible grace. The name of the grace is determined by a person's reaction to it. How any intelligent person could be fooled by such an argument is beyond me, but obviously they can.

The scriptures do not show some men receive some special "effectual" or "irresistible" grace while others receive some powerless "common" grace. The grace that brings salvation has appeared to all men.

Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

10. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

11. preacher4truth

Amy, remember MB also claims Mormons, JW's, and those in other cults are saved if they believe in Jesus. Major problem; they have a different Jesus than that of the Scriptures.

Also, Calvinism is not synonymous with Catholicism. He doesn't know what he's talking about and simply parrots others of the same cloth.

12. Skandelon

This is very well stated Winman. I would like to know how a Calvinist reconciles this.

13. slave 4 Christ

slave 4 Christ New Member

[Skandelon]This is very well stated Winman. I would like to know how a Calvinist reconciles this.[/QUOTE]

By recognizing the entire context of Titus 2:11-14, which defines the parameters of the "all".

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I submit to you that a better answer, for both cals and non-cals to discuss, is the definition of the parameters of "all" defined in Romans 3:22-23. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God; but the righteousness of God, which is by faith of Jesus Christ, is unto all and upon all them that believe.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Wrong. All I know is that you CLAIM to believe sola fide.

Your comments prove that at your core, perhaps unbeknownst to you, you do NOT believe it.

You believe, as you clearly said in the quotes I provided on the first page of this thread that one must ACT upon this faith.

You believe, at your core, in salvation by grace through faith plus some kind of ACTING.

I'm asking you to be honest with yourself and us and answer the question: What ACTS must you perform to be saved?

The faith of devils is intrinsically deficient. Sufficient faith by its nature produces works.

If you are saying that works make faith alive somehow- that's VERY problematic too.

What Arminians seem to think is that you can come to believe upon the Lord Jesus Christ but your faith does not save you UNTIL YOU ACT UPON IT.

That is not sola fide any way you slice it.

More proof that you do not believe in sola fide.

TRUE FAITH CAUSES ONE TO FOLLOW.

If you have a faith that does not cause you to follow then you don't have REAL faith.

But it seems clear that you believe that a person can have REAL FAITH and not yet be saved. This person is only saved when, as you said several times, he "acts upon that faith."

In this context you apparently believe that salvation is by grace through faith PLUS FOLLOWING.

Those who cling to sola fide at their core believe salvation is by grace alone through faith alone and following is the inevitable result.

This is why Arminianism is unbiblical and soteriologically and philosophically illogical. The most common error that Arminians make is that salvation is by grace through faith plus CHOICE.

More specifically, they tend to make faith synonymous with choice. By doing so they totally redefine faith and make salvation come by grace through CHOICE.

The Calvinist believes salvation comes by grace through faith. The Arminian believes salvation comes by grace through choice.

The former is biblical. The latter is clearly not.

This illustration is further proof.

You see salvation coming to a man not as a result of his FAITH but as a result of his FAITH PLUS HIS ACTING UPON THAT FAITH.

#75 Luke2427, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
  16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I did not say these quotes show they believe in works salvation. I think they probably do, but I did not say that. I was making another point altogether.

These quotes show that these people do not believe in salvation by grace alone through faith alone.

They show that these people believe is salvation by grace through faith PLUS ACTING UPON THAT FAITH.

The Bible confirms that you are saved by God's grace alone through faith alone and that any ACTS you perform HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR SALVATION. They are only the result of your salvation.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Faith is a noun. Believe is a verb.

Name five. I bet you can't.

No one on here THINKS they believe that men must work for their salvation.

But at their core some DO believe that salvation comes by grace through faith PLUS...

This is clear from the various and numerous statements they make along these lines.

Name a single Calvinist on earth that believes that.

I bet you can't.

It would be more honorable for you to actually know what you are talking about before you make these posts.

I guess so- since you obviously don't know anything about the doctrines of grace as is clear from your statements in this post.

Another statement that indicates that you don't know what Calvinists believe.

I have never spoken to a Calvinist who believes that faith does NOT come by hearing the Word of God.

You don't know what you are talking about and I think you are in over your head in a debate along these lines.

No it doesn't. It means to make alive.

Many Calvinists, like me and R. C. Sproul and Dr. Steve Lawson and I think the majority today believe that regeneration precedes faith and faith is necessary for salvation.

It boggles my mind that you would be so deficient in your comprehension of these matters and still have the confidence to post anyway.

If you don't know that Calvinists believe that God uses means, like the Word of God so that faith comes by hearing, then you really ought not be swimming in the deep end yet.

Learn what Calvinist ACTUALLY believe before you call them unscriptural.

#77 Luke2427, Feb 2, 2012
  18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said, I see nowhere that anyone has said differently; instead I see where these non-cals affirm that acts are exactly as you say: a result of salvation.

Perhaps I'm missing how you're interpreting their statements to mean that if there are no acts, then there is no faith, and thus, no salvation; and this somehow means that they're saying you must have acts to be saved.

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

........................................... I goofed.........wrong post that Brother Don posted.......heheheheheh

#79 convicted1, Feb 2, 2012
  20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I'll point it out one more time.

Here he redefines faith and says that faith is not just trusting Christ but rather it is ACTING IN ACCORDANCE WITH WHAT YOU BELIEVE.

That could not be clearer, Don.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.