1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

C.H. Spurgeon and election

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JerryL, Apr 13, 2008.

1. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Answering a post from SFIC in another thread where he states Spurgeon was against "election".

"Now, first, I shall speak a little concerning the truthfulness of this doctrine: "God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation." Secondly, I shall try to prove that this election is absolute: "He hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation," not for sanctification, but "through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth." Thirdly, this election is eternal, because the text says, "God hath from the beginning chosen you." Fourthly, it is personal: "He hath chosen you." Then we will look at the effects of the doctrine—see what it does; and lastly, as God may enable us, we will try and look at its tendencies, and see whether it is indeed a terrible and licentious doctrine. We will take the flower, and like true bees, see whether there be any honey whatever in it; whether any good can come of it, or whether it is an unmixed, undiluted evil.
    I. First, I must try and prove that the doctrine is TRUE."
    http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0041.htm

Delivered on Sabbath Morning, September 2, 1855, by the
    REV. C. H. Spurgeon
    At New Park Street Chapel, Southwark

And another so you don't say my first one was on 1855 and yours was 1859, therefore he changed his stance.
    http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0303.htm

Delivered on Sabbath Morning, March 11th, 1860, by the
    REV. C. H. Spurgeon
    At Exeter Hall, Strand.

#1 JerryL, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008
  2. standingfirminChrist

So are you trying to say he was a crowd pleaser? Wavering? preaching election to the Calvie's and the true Salvation to the non-Calvie's?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Those would be your words Ron.

HERE is a list of his quotes on election

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I really like this quote from Spurgeon.

"I believe the doctrine of election, because I am quite sure that if God had not chosen me I should never have chosen him; and I am sure he chose me before I was born, or else he never would have chosen me afterwards; and he must have elected me for reasons unknown to me, for I never could find any reason in myself why he should have looked upon me with special love. 2LS47"
    from http://www.spurgeon.us/mind_and_heart/quotes/e.htm#election

5. JerryL

JerryL New Member

This is one of my favorites, and rings of much truth.

6. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Your word twisting never ends. LOL. I read the WHOLE sermon and he is merely saying that the preacher needs to tell the whole counsel of God. Not just the election but also telling him he still has to repent. He is definitely an election preacher. He says over and over in his sermons that man has no inclination to come to God without God's sovoreign hand doing it.

Edit: As C4K says, "Those would be your words."

#6 JerryL, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008
  7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Such an awesome quote and so true of us all!

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

For someone who cries foul everytime someone fails to quote you verbatim, you sure twist others people words a lot.

Oh, and the word election is in the Bible.
    That is a fact.
    If you do not believe in election then you deny the Bible.
    YOu may have a different view than Spurgeon but you either believe in some form of election or you do not believe the Bible is the word of God.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is an excellent resource Roger , thanks . I looked over a bunch of C.H.S's quotes on that site and was blessed .

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yes, Thanks for the link. :thumbs:

11. standingfirminChrist

You quite obviously did not read the sermon, or you read it with blinder of preconceived notion on.

Here is the entire paragraph that quote is found in:

[​IMG]
    The quote is not taken out of context. Spurgeon clearly states that those preachers that would say that God hates some men infinitely and unchangeably for no reason other than He chooses to do so... are arrogant.

They are full of pride, and pride goes before destruction.

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, Spurgeon was very vocal against hyper calvinism.
    BUt he was also very vocal against your view of free willism as well.

13. standingfirminChrist

As I said previously, I do not believe the Calvinistic lies that Spurgeon taught and preached. But I do believe the truth he preached in that passage I quoted from that December 11, 1859 sermon.

14. JerryL

JerryL New Member

He held firm to the doctrine of election SFIC.

15. standingfirminChrist

I hold firm to the Word of God. God saves whosoever He will. Of those He saves, He elects to certain services for His Church.

Not all saved are elect, but all elect are saved.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Spurgeon was not a liar. He preached to true gospel and thousands were saved by the grace of God under his preaching.

If only we had more like him today.

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

No, you hold firm to your opinions.
    ANd yes, God does save whosoever he wills.

18. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you like him if he preaches something you agree with. But, if he preaches something you disagree with you call him a liar.

I am going to go out on a limb and speculate that you don't consider yourself to be a "compassionate conservative".

peace to you:praying:

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John 6:37-39 "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. "

This goes along with the verse that says "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6:44)

Romans 8 says "Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? "

and right after that: "Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth."

So you seem to be missing part of the Bible. Either that or you look to your own wisdom to explain away the clear teaching of Scripture. Who's will is sovereign? God's, man's or Satan's You said that Satan is blinding man - but the verse says "If God be for us, who can be against us?" How can Satan steal from God?

20. standingfirminChrist

No, canadyj, I like the truth he preached in the passage I quoted from his sermon.

We are commanded to love all people regardless whether we agree with them or not.

I love you, Dale, and other Calvinist's with the love of the Lord... despite the fact that you don't believe that Christ's blood and gift of Salvation was for every man, woman and child on this earth... even for those who deny Him and end up in hell.