1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

C.S. Lewis: "If nothing remains...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Where did you get this quote from?

Ergo means "therefore." Which makes me wonder why you used it here. Nothing you have said even remotely follows from the quote of Lewis. (And I don't like Lewis.)

This makes no sense. The fact that God "monergistically elects" people to salvation is the only thing that givs Christianity purpose or meaning. If God did not elect, then no one would be saved. All preachign would be in vain. Christ would have died in vain because no one would respond.

This is true, and exactly the point. God did not choose just the people who already like him. The wisdom of salvation, in 1 Cor 1:18ff, is that he does not choose those kinds of people. I believe he will choose fro Budhists, Hindus, Athiests, even Baptists, and will bring them to saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Yes.

You are still confusing elect and salvation, which shows a fundamental lack on your part. They are not the same in mainstream Calvinism. Please do not confuse them. We have explained this time and time again. There is no rational basis for you to keep confusing them.

Secondly, even if election is monergistic, you still need Christ and the Bible because sin is still real and has to be atoned for.

So your whole post here is flawed because 1) it does not flow from the opening quote, 2) it does not deal with what Calvinism actually believes, and 3) is filled with argumentative flaws.

I recommend this thread be shut down.

#21 Pastor Larry, Mar 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2007
  2. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I recommend that the whole honkin' TOPIC be shut down!

Ten thousand threads, forty thousand posts, and there are still people who disagree with me. Don't you see it's hopeless?

Revive the C-A board and expel anyone who raises the issue anywhere else.

(I say it in love :love2: )

3. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Before it goes, thanks Benjamin. :)

john.

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

Andy,

Actually, you are taking personally what is intended as an observation regarding Calvinism. Why would there be a gospel, Andy, if there is nothing we can do about it -- being saved, that is?

skypair

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

Well, the more I read of him, the more "quirky" I think some of his thoughts are. He does seem to teach the "sanctification model" for salvation. I do think some of his thoughts go right to the issue, as in this case.

Huh? The Bible is not for sharing with the lost? See, that'd confirm what Lesis is saying, John. You can explain salvation/election without Christianity -- it's all predestined, fate -- and your explanation is no better foundation than a book you say was written to you.

You're really into this "election" thing, aren't you. How do you know you are "elect," John?? Maybe the Bible ISN'T for your comfort.

skypair

6. skypair

skypair Active Member

John, you are totally wrong here. It is PARABLES that were written for believers only. Wow. You need some edgication!

skypair

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I don't take it personally, because what you are trying to argue against doesn't apply to me, or the vast majority of other Calvies. You are characterizing Calvinisim with Fatalism, and it is a gross mischaracterization. And it's not that this one post of yours is so egregious; it is your continued pattern of posts like these that make me think either: (a) you are not loving the brethern, or (b) you think that we Calvies are all pagans and need to be saved. Which is it?

8. skypair

skypair Active Member

donnA -- get it through your head. I am NOT misrepresenting YOUR beliefs. I am revealing the errors of Calvinism, NOT YOUR errors. I cited the Westminister Confession regarding "He finds nothing in man" and "unconditional election" which, if true, would basically make the Bible a nice history book (another explanation) and nothing more.

I DO consider everyone to be brothers in Christ -- and maintain that they did NOT get saved by the Calvinism that they now subscribe to.

donnA -- that just shows that you have NOT followed my "development" as a Christian here! I have acquiesed to Calvinists that the Bible says that we are "given" faith. It is not of us!

I have sought to reconconcile our differences be pointing out that Calvinism does not distinguish between soul and spirit and that consideration ought to be given to the difference so that we can come to agreement.

I have offered an explanation for "sovereignty" that I believe lies somewhere between our differences so that we can understand it alike as the Bible describes it.

Your complaint is basically that I shouldn't challenge false teachings, isn't it? That I am not "my brother's keeper." Well, that is not the Christianity I have been given. How about you?

skypair

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

This is simply false. The fact that God finds nothing in man (except his image) and unconditionally elects does not render the Bible only a history book. The Bible reveals to us how God saves. He works out his sovereign grace through the preaching of the gospel so that the elect will be saved through belief.

We would know none of that without the Scripture.

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

Hi Rob,

I actually wanted to cite more but it is ponderous to read as well as to type. :type:

I have a book of selected essays titled "The Grand Miracle, And Other..." In my book, it is the last sentence in para. 4.

No, it wasn't about Calvinism. But as you remark, it would include ANY explanation that doesn't require the miraculous to explain. "Election" as being the choosing of some people and not others by God is NOT miraculous. It is a very well understood, natural concept that God could pick whom He wants arbitrarily.

Where's the miracle in that, Rob?? I don't even see how that would involve Christ at all in salvation. His only function in such a scenario would be as a "great Teacher" to sanctify or prepare "the chosen ones" for heaven, right?

skypair

skypair

11. russell55

russell55 New Member

Oh boy. There are so many problems with this argument, I hardly know where to start.
    • First of all, no one is saved by election alone. So saying that if God elects, people aren't miraculously saved stumbles right off the bat, because it doesn't consider the other necessary things for salvation.
    • Secondly, God doing anything is not a "natural concept". By very definition, if God does it, it's supernatural. Therefore, election is supernatural.
    • Third: Calvinists believe that salvation involves a supernatural work of Holy Spirit in the heart before someone can even believe unto salvation. Without that supernatural work of the Spirit, no one would be saved. So here's yet another supernatural work in salvation. And, of course, the Holy Spirit continues to sanctify and eventually glorifies, and these are both necessary supernatural works of salvation.
    • Fourth, as to Christ: He provides the grounds by which people are saved, and that required that he live a perfectly obedient life, die a substitutionary death, and be miraculously raised from the deat. Without the grounds provided by Christ, not one person could be saved. Everything hinges on the application of Christ's work as absolutely key to anyone being saved.
    Every single point you've tried to make here is completely nonsensical. Calvinists believe that at every step of the salvation process, nothing is a "natural concept", but everything is a supernatural work.

#31 russell55, Mar 28, 2007
  12. skypair

skypair Active Member

Dear Larry -- we're obviously not communicating very well, are we? I cited the essay by name. You could Google it, right? Look for para. 4, last sentence.

Yeah, IF one is "elect" -- and IF one can know one is "elect." But what you are saying is the Christ is the "Great Teacher" of the "elect" but not the "Great Savior" because God chose them arbitrarily!

Look at it like Lewis did -- you're looking for an explanation of the salvation of men. Why would the notion of God choosing only certain people require that anyone actually believe Christianity?? Mightn't Christianity not just be one of the teachings given by God to those He chose? Cause remember -- salvation is "unconditional" and "God finds NOTHING in man" that He should choose one and not another.

Im sorry, Larry, but this is another error of Calvinism -- the "total inability" of man. How impossible it is for man to do good, though men choose and do good every day!

Your comment reveals that you see Christ, then, as the "Great Teacher." Maybe you didn't mean to say it that way?? IOW, how much knowledge is saving to you, Larry?

Please, PLEASE show me my error in that. I would love to be able to communicate with you but it so appears that all the "elect" are/will be saved and all the saved are "elect." The ONLY intermediate step you've given me to work with is something you call "effectual calling" and much as I tried to enquire on that issue (even designing comparative diagrams!), I still do not see my confusion as much as I see your indoctrination.

It's almost like an "afterthought" though, Larry. The OT Jews had this similar idea -- that God had "chosen" them and that one day He would appear and take away their sin magically, may I say. To them, the method of taking their sin away was secondary to the fact that, in Judaism, they would be chosen! I don't even know that they thought the method would be "miraculous" so much as judicial.

Sure it does (1) -- your view is strongly linked to OT Judaism wherein their "choosing" was the explanation for their salvation. And it wasn't even the true picture.

As for (2) -- "unconditional election" is Calvinism, right? That "explanation" lies outside the shed blood of Christ as regarding who is saved and who is not. That the blood is later applied to the "elect" or is applied to their account "before the foundation of the world" is, as I see it, merely an extension of OT Judaism.

As to (3) -- we don't communicate, Larry, because (from my perspective at least) you are not teachable. I have endeavored mightily to make peace among brethern around the truth of God's word (see my post above to donnA) -- to achieve the "unity of the faith and of the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." I have tried tirelessly to understand some of the lame, extrabiblical definitions that Calvin gives to terms and ideas, but Larry -- if they don't appear in scripture, how can you accuse ME of and not Calvin of "flaws?" Maybe you wouldn't recognize a flaw if you saw one. :saint:

Well, you can use your influence and we can just go on not considering things that you find uncomfortable. That wouldn't be very honest of you though, would it.

skypair

13. russell55

russell55 New Member

Skypair, where has any Calvinist ever said that salvation is unconditional? They haven't have they? In fact, over and over again, people, including me, have told you that Calvinists don't believe that salvation is unconditional. It's time to find another dead horse to beat.
    No Calvinist finds anything in this thread uncomfortable. They find it frustrating because you ought to know by now that what you are saying they believe is not what they believe. That makes this thread useless, and responding to it a waste of time.

Kind of ironic, though, that someone would accuse monergistic salvation (that means it's all a supernatural work) of being a "natural concept".

#33 russell55, Mar 28, 2007
  14. skypair

skypair Active Member

There you go, pipedude!

I think the point is, too, to take fresh approaches to the debate. I was reading Lewis essay "Christian Apologetics" last night and came across this -- "But I insist that wherever you draw the lines [bounding Christianity], bounding lines must exist, beyond which your doctrine will cease either to be Anglican or Christian: and I suggest also that lines come sooner than many modern priests think. I think your duty is to fix the lines clearly in your own minds: and if you wish to go beyond them you must change your profession.
    "This is your duty not specially as Christians or as priests but as honest men. There is a danger here of the clergy developing a special professional conscience which obscures the very plain moral issue. ... We never doubted that the unorthodox opinions were honestly held: what we complain of is your continuing your ministry after you have come to hold them."

No person at BB is being addressed here, BTW. This is merely an admonition against teaching "honestly held" opinions that contradict scripture.

skypair

#34 skypair, Mar 28, 2007
  15. skypair

skypair Active Member

Russel -- what does the "U" in TULIP stand for?

skypair

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes, but you did not say whether you copied from some other site, or whether you had the actual book right in front of you. It makes a difference since copied quotes rarely include context. As has been pointed out, Lewis was not talking about Calvinism, and his comments don't even apply to this topic.

I would appreciate if you would let me speak for myself. I am most assuredly not saying that. Christ is the great Savior.

No, I am not. I am looking to see what God said.

Your response reveals that you don't know what "total inability" means. It does not mean that man can do no good. It means that he is unable to please God.

I meant to say what I said. I did not intend for you to twist it.

Will you listen this time?

Election is something God does in eternity past. Salvation is something that happens in time, that generally refers to the whole process of salvation which includes election, calling, repentance/faith, regeneration, justification, sanctification, sealing, glorification, etc.

One is elect before he is saved (2 tim 2:10).

No, it's nothing like that at all. Again, this just shows that you do not understand what we have been saying for years.

My view has nothing to do with OT Judaism.

You see it wrongly. Unconditional election is scriptural. It does not lie outside the shed blood of Christ but rather contemplates it. The lapsarian views attempt to describe this.

I am very teachable. But that happens when someone knows more about a topic than I do. I am sure there are a great many things you could teach me. What Calvinists believe is simply not onf of them.

You haven't endeavored mightily inasmuch as you keep saying things that aren't true.

I am not making any statement about Calvin. I recognize a flaw when I see it. That is how I know your posts are flawed.

I am not the least bit uncomfortable. In all your posting on this topic, you have yet to plant even one scintilla of doubt in my mind. Each time I go back to Scritpure, and compare it with your posts, I find that Scripture is right, and you are not.

My recommendation of shutting this thread down is because 1) it is based on a misuse of Lewi's words and a misrepresentation of Calvinists' beliefs, and 2) it is a rehash of old stuff.

Why take up the bandwidth by repeating it?

17. skypair

skypair Active Member

Do you deny that salvation is on account of "election?" God having chosen that person?

What other "necessary things?"

See, I agree with this but why is the "supernatural" work done in the first place, Russ? Because that person was chosen/"elected" in eternity past, right? Unless you are departing from the foundational theme of Calvinism, they were NOT chosen because God foreknew that they would believe. Is there anything miraculous about God choosing you to give all these supernatural advantages to?? No -- it's a decision. He can choose us all but doesn't. He could make us all "believe" just like He does the "chosen." ALL the miraculous part, you see, comes AFTER the choosing to salvation.

Or salvation could have been as the OT Jews saw it -- God just resurrects the "chosen" and forgives them judicially, then miraculously puts a new heart in them.

skypair

18. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It is one that you would do well to heed. I know your positions are sincerely held. But they clearly contradict Scripture. And that is the problem.

19. skypair

skypair Active Member

Are you going to answer my question?

Do you have children, Andy? Do you show them their faults? Do you love them? Do you disown them?

Andy, are we still "stuck" with a 400 year old paradigm that doesn't even take into account a lot of issues like eschatology, like triunity of the human person, like Israel, on and on??? Andy, the ill-contructed building (1Cor 3) apparently has to be brought down one brick at a time. Men were NOT careful how they built thereon!

skypair

20. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

great point