1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvin: God is the Author of Sin

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Agent47, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All that yo have shown to us is that you really do not understand what Calvin and others wrote concerning this OP topic, as you misunderstand what the Biblet eaches, and then misunderstand Calvin/Hodge an others, and put your own understandingi nto their words.

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So God gave to us Jesus in order to do wha?

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May the Lord open our brothers eyes to not know if Calvin was true, but hat the word of God and the truth of Jesus is Lord be true!

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 2:12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law;

Romans 5:13 for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

So, is Paul saying that sin is a "byproduct of the Law" or is Paul saying that until the Law sin was in the world, but not imputed as a transgression of the Law?

Continue the passage you started -
    Romans 7:10-11 I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died; 10and this commandment, which was to result in life, proved to result in death for me; 11for sin, taking an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me.

Is Paul saying that the Law produced sin or that sin took opportunity through the commandment?

Paul's point is that sin existed from Adam forward, but those apart from the Law did not sin as Adam sinned (their sin was not a transgression of a commandment, but it was still sin).

The Law magnified sin. Sin even increased under the Law as things became sin for those under that covenant.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was real sin before the Mosaic Law came, see Cain!

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except scripture doesn't say that.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That God draws men to himself or that it is through the work of the Spirit that men come to believe?

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that sin was not man transgressing the Law.

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think about this. Was Adam punished because He sinned? I believe He was. He could have live in the Garden forever if he hadn't sinned. So sin was imputed to Adam. Why? Because God Him Self told Him not to eat of the fruit from the tree of good and evil.
    Why else would God kill all those people in the world with a flood.
    Common sense tells me that if a man is told not to do something he automatically becomes more likely to do it. This I feel is what Adam and Eve dealt with.
    I believe Adam was commanded and warned about the good and evil fruit. God told Adam not to eat it.
    Sin actually started in Heaven with Satan's pride. It came down from Heaven when Satan was cast out. When Moses gave us the 10 commandments this did cause sin to increase.
    Yes it did Although a Law doesn't have to written for man to understand when something isn;t right to do. Like I said before the Law is written on our hearts.
    MB

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You weren't aware of your double negative until I pointed it out. When you make that mistake you are not communicating effectively.
    In 2 Peter 3:9, despite the protestations of non-Calvinists --it is referencing the elect. He doesn't will that any of his chosen ones perish eternally.
    You're not being biblical. The Lord has the right to do whatever he so desires to do with his creation. He is under no obligation to save any. However, out of his love and grace he has chosen to save a number that no one can count.

The Lord owes no one anything. All his ways are perfect and he does all that he pleases to do without consulting puny humans who want to put him in their dock.

The Lord mercies some and hardens the rest. Do you wish to argue that that is unjust?! Who are you to argue with the Almighty? You're just a mere human being.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We were talking past each other, I think. The passage you quoted deals with the Law (Torah), not the law of God (God's nature). In the passage I provided, Paul makes this distinction as well (sin apart from the Law from Adam to Moses, and elsewhere pointing out Abraham was not under the Law as it was given 400 years later).

Sin is a rebellion against God, and without the existence of God there would be no sin.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forget biblical, he's not being honest. He has read where Calvin and Calvinists reject that God authors sin, but he disagrees with their logic, interpretation and application. But as Scripture is, he cannot settle this centuries old argument. So he misrepresents.

It reminds me of children, when they are very young. Sometimes they latch onto a word or phrase spoken and take it out of context ("but you said the next time....", etc). When they are young enough, it may not be lying, but misunderstanding context or intent. Agent47 seems old enough to know better, so it's an intentional attempt deception. Or trolling...But who cares? It's dishonest either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is more than slightly bonkers. Do speeding laws make people more likely to speed? Do the laws against murder make people more likely to murder? If so, why do we have laws against anything? Just abolish all laws and their would be no sin. Confused

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That He doesn't draw some people but does draw others.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I know. :)

I believe that God calls all to salvation, and to a salvation legitimately offered and made possible to all. But I do not believe God save all men.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I have tried but I cannot narrow you down to a consistent belief in this area. This is contrary to what you have previously said.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? Are you sure because my position here has not changed for a long time.

Where do you see a contradiction in what I said before and what I am saying now?

18. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A long time ago, Agent 47 wrote:
    To which I replied:
    Not so. God's decree is universal (Daniel 4:34-35; Romans 8:28; Romans 11:26; Ephesians 1:11).
    It covers good and evil events (Isaiah 45:7; Amos 3:6; Job 1:21; Jeremiah 15:2).
    It covers the sinful acts of men (Genesis 50:20; 2 Samuel 16:10-11; Luke 22:22; Acts 2:23 and of course Acts 4:27-28).
    It covers the free acts of men (Proverbs 16:1, 9: Proverbs 19:21; Proverbs 21:1; Romans 8:28, 35-39).
    It covers chance occurrences (1 Kings 22:28-34; Job 5:6; Job 36:32; Proverbs 16:33; Jonah 1:7).
    It covers all details of our lives (Job 14:5; Psalm 139:16; Matthew 10:29-30; James 4:15).
    Please especially read Isaiah 14:24-27 and Isaiah 46:10-11.

I think we may be quite certain that Agent 47 never read any of the Scriptures that I laboriously compiled for him, since he has never reacted to any of them.

However, let's consider how God's absolute sovereignty over events affects a wicked act like the beheading of the Egyptian Christians by ISIS in Libya.

First of all, did God force ISIS to murder these men? No. 'Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God." For God cannot be tempted, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed' (James 1:13-14). The action was planned and executed by the evil design of ISIS. None of the killers was thinking to himself, "I really don't want to kill these men but I......just.....can't.....stop myself!" They did it willingly and culpably.

So what was God's role in it? He decreed it in eternity for His own high and holy ends. Is that evil? No, Those men have been in Paradise ever since, far happier than you or I. Why did He decree it? I am not privy to God's secret counsels, but I note that many Moslems were appalled by the act, and impressed by the way that the men's wives and parents forgave the murderers and prayed for them to be forgiven. As a result many hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of Egyptian Moslems have become Christians including several imams. The deaths of these, and other Christians, across the Middle East, is bringing about a great conversion of Moslems which might never have happened otherwise. As Tertullian wrote, the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church.

It is a very, very foolish thing to accuse God of evil. 'Woe to him who strives with His Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth! Shall the clay say to him who forms it, "What are you making?" Or shall your handiwork say, "He has no hands"? Woe to him who says to his father, "What are you begetting?" Or to the woman, "What have you brought forth?"' (Isaiah 45:9-10).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and the more restrictive the more frequent the offense.

Have you ever seen a Law against it actually stop a murder?

Utopia huh? Actually they did away with laws against marijuana where I live and now there are less pot heads because they say this took all the fun out of it. Go figure!
    MB

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Post # 173

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.