1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvin on Regeneration

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Dec 18, 2012.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Icon

I would like to add and then make a comment.

1 Kings 18:37 Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou the LORD God, and thou hast turned their heart back again.

It was, is, and always will be God who changes and or turns our heart toward him.

Abraham wasn't walking around in Ur of the Chaldees looking for God. Abraham lived with father Terah an idol worshiper.

God called Abraham out of unbelief, an idol worshiper, unto belief.

God called Abraham for the purpose of bringing about to man, the man of faith, by which man could be justified (declared righteous) and then could receive salvation (the gift of God, eternal life).

God made a promise to Abraham that in his seed all the families of the earth would be blessed. That blessing comes by the gift of the promise of the Holy Spirit which would come to man through the one seed of Abraham, the Christ because of the faith. Jesus the Christ the Son of God, the seed of Abraham, was born of a woman, born under the law. See Gal. 3:14 which should end with the words, "the faith."
    The Holy Spirit was given because of, "the faith,' of Jesus the Christ the seed of Abraham. It is he, the seed of Abraham who was to receive the promise of the Holy Spirit from his Father, God to be shed on man. Gal. 3:18,19 and Acts 2:33 For if the inheritance [be] of the law, [it is] no more of promise: but God gave [it] to Abraham by promise. (Through his seed.) Wherefore then [serveth] the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; [and it was] ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

According to Galatians 3:23 this was before the faith came.

Jesus Christ laid down his life in obedience of faith, because of another promise made by God who cannot lie, made before the first man Adam was created. The hope of eternal life. The gift of God. Through the Son of the living God, Jesus Christ our Lord. The seed of Abraham.

Gal 3:29 And if ye Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Because you are of the faith of Abraham, his seed.

IMHO the Holy Spirit sets one apart for regeneration, as in, Christ the firstborn from the dead, then we at his appearing and his kingdom, conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Born again/from above into the kingdom of God.

I care not what Bro. Cal or Bro. Arm.thought.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    nope....I never got offended. Next, some advice to you... dont guess, either you know or you dont know. Guessing is weak. & what about these people....I could give a shit. Lastly no kidding....any other attempt to act intelligent that you would like to reveal. Frankly, Im not impressed. Next. :laugh:

#82 Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
  3. Winman

Winman Active Member

You still must repent and believe to receive the Spirit.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
    39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
    40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
    41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Peter told the Jews at Pentacost that they must repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus (and only believers were allowed to be baptized), and AFTERWARD they would receive the promise of the Holy Spirit.

Now, it is true that no one can come to God unless called, but it is the man who has to respond to God with his OWN faith. This is where you go wrong. Jesus often spoke of a person's faith as being their own.

Mat 9:22 But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.

Mat 15:28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

I could show you MANY other verses where Jesus himself spoke of a person's personal faith. Why would Jesus marvel at the centurion's faith if he gave that faith to him? Nonsensical.

God gives you his word that you may believe, but you must believe, God does not believe for you.

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sure sounds like offended to me........

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your way off.....but I dont want to become obtuse so continue with your debate....however Id like to know what your attempting to prove.

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What I am pointing out is that all those preachers who say they believe in TULIP are always preaching Armenian sermons! I asked you if your pastor does and for some reason that upsets you. Does he preach to the congregation to stop playing church any?? If he does, that is Armenian pov, not TULIP.

"obtuse" ? You don't hear that one much, I just heard it the other day watching "shawshank Redemption". Good movie! If your not offended then why the cussing??

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Percho,
    You are offering the correct verses and using them and seeing them correctly.There are some who offer verses and want each verse to stand on it's own legs which would contradict clear doctrinal passages.that is the mark of a false teacher,and false teaching which are to be avoided.

8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You miss the whole point of my post. Just as in 1 Kings 18:37

God turned their hearts toward him. God repented them.
    These people were born under the law. They were under the schoolmaster the law, "shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed." The faith had to be revealed.

The faith was an event of Jesus the Christ, his obedience unto death. That, because he was raised from the dead by the Father removed them from being under the law, death forever.

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Is it not God who turns us toward him. Is it not by the faith of Jesus (If I go not away the Comdorter will not come.) we received the Spirit.

Romans 11:4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

Did 7000 believe in God over the idol or did God reserve them in belief unto himself?

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this the whole of man.

Which you will not do by the way and the very reason the righteousness of God needs to be imputed to you, through the faith of, Jesus Christ.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You must understand the biblical term foreknowledge correctly.

Your reaction to this quote along with your comments, shows that you do not understand the doctrine correctly. Johnny Mac is correct on this.

#89 Iconoclast, Jan 3, 2013
  10. Winman

Winman Active Member

The reason God reserved these 7000 men is because they did not bow their knee to Baal. Otherwise there is no need to mention this.

Rom 11:4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.

If election is unconditional, there is no need for God to mention that these 7000 men had not bowed their knee to the image of Baal. This is WHY God chose these men, because they were faithful, they had faith in the true God and did not worship a false god as the other people did.

God does not believe for you, you must believe for yourself. Yes, you cannot believe what you do not know.

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Does Paul ask how they shall believe unless God has regenerated them and given them faith? NO, Paul simply asks how any man can believe in Jesus unless he has heard of Jesus.

The "faith" has been revealed through the word of God. Jesus revealed himself in the flesh, and since that time he has been revealed through the scriptures. All we need to do is hear the scriptures to have the ability to believe.

If God gives man faith, why would Jesus marvel at the centurion's faith?

Mat 8:10 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

If God gives men faith, then why would Jesus marvel at the centurion's great faith? He wouldn't, that makes absolutely no sense.

If I gave you a new car, would I marvel the next day when you drove up in that new car? Nonsense.

You are falling for false doctrine.

#90 Winman, Jan 3, 2013
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No he is a Old School Baptist & he believes in Gods sovereignty in all things. He doesnt preach anything but gospel! Also where am I cussing?

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To anyone who understands that God saves sinners in one way, they understand the text.You consistently isolate and fragment each text ...out of the whole of the bible...soo you will not see what the rest of us see.
    you will re-write it according to yourself:thumbs:

Winman...you keep writing this as if no one knows it.We Do. Ot saints were moved upon by the Holy Spirit.....They were saved by the Holy Spirit. They were not promised to be sealed or indwelt as we are....but nothing says they were not. Your faLSE IDEA THAT UNSAVED PERSONS COULD SAVINGLY BELIEVE IS A WORKS BASED GOSPEL that is not taught anywhere. Salvation, election, regeneration, are biblical ideas...winmanisms are not.

#92 Iconoclast, Jan 3, 2013
  13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Baloney, that whole article is a pathetic attempt to insert false Calvinist doctrine into the OT where it is not shown. I read his other articles and they are just as desperate. That fellow mentions ALL the scriptures I have shown in past posts that shows a person receives the indwelling Spirit AFTER believing. He knows the scriptures show faith precedes regeneration, but tries desperately to say scripture says the very opposite. He also knows that no one had the indwelling Spirit in the OT.

I would be embarrassed to present articles like this. Ridiculous.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

You just go on believing ridiculous articles like those Hendryx wrote. You are only making a fool out of yourself.

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think you missed the part where I said I agree with John. Because John is preaching an Armenian pov in this sermon. He's not preaching TULIP!

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think all Christians whether they lean Arminian or Calvinist believe God's soverienty in all things. I know I do and I reject most of TULIP.

You know where....:love2:

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

The truth is, it is almost impossible to win a debate with a Calvinist, because they speak out of both sides of their mouth. They will tell you that God ordains all things that come to pass and they must unchangeably happen, and yet God is not the author of sin. Of course, this is a direct contradiction that cannot possibly be true, but Calvinists convince themselves it is true, they just call it a mystery. Problem solved. :laugh:

Very few ever come clean.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :D Hope your not referring to me or my pastor, neither of us are Calvinists...:smilewinkgrin:

PS: NOT Arminians either.

#98 Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 3, 2013
  19. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 12:37-40 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him: That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed? Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with [their] eyes, nor understand with [their] heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

Just like these with Paul who could not understand like Paul who was called and heard and followed.

And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man. Acts 9:7 And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard (understood) not the voice of him that spake to me. Acts 22:9

They were not called and even though hearing their ears were not opened to understanding.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I really dont know, nor do I care....you sort out your salvation & I sort out mine.