1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvin, Ruckman, Cloud...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Paul1611, Jul 30, 2007.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

The only thing I will definitely hold against Calvin and blame him for at present is his own words.

He wrote his intent and desire to see a man killed. So much for religious freedom...

I am not picking an isolated situation. It just appears Calvin's overall theology allows for persecuation and oppression of those who disagree. It allows the whole idea of enforcing the Kingdom of God via the sword on those who do not accept the Kingdom of God by the Word.

Were there not baptists in prison in the USA when the Declaration of Independence was being signed? Was there not religious persecution taken place as they penned those lofty, yet seemingly hypocritical words of all men being created equal... or did "all" not mean all, just the elect? Which the non-calvinist ana-baptists were not... :) I guess Calvinist hermenutics would allow for that.

Disclaimer: The final paragraph was written slightly tongue-in-cheek.

2. mnw

mnw New Member

npetreley, I appreciate you discussing this with me. And I am glad you disagree with putting heretics to death. According to some here, I think I am a heretic... or "an" heretic...

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MNW : You think some people here think you think you're a heretic ? I think that's what you said , but I don't think so . Think that one over !

4. mnw

mnw New Member

Hi Rippon, I was only joking. Thanks for the post. I should have put some smilies in there somewhere.