1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism Chart

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Osage Bluestem, Feb 9, 2011.

?
  1. Hyper-Calvinism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ultra High Calvinism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. High Calvinism

22.5%
  4. Moderate Calvinism

30.0%
  5. Low Calvinism

2.5%
  6. Lutheranism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. American Baptist

40.0%
  8. Arminian

5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Gospel is "believe and you will be saved", salvation by grace through faith.
    I thought they stood in condemnation already?
    He has pity for those He created to be?
    ...yet according to your #2, "believe and you will be saved" is just that.
    What is there to pity, then?

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bio of chart-maker Rev. Jonathan James Goudry:

Assemblies of God missionary kid, Southern Baptist, Reformed Baptist, now working under his father again.

Talk about theological whiplash!

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Back in seminary some professors encouraged us to read newspapers---to keep up with current events--etc, etc----and we were reminded that there was more to the newspaper than just the sports section

One of these days---it will dawn upon many of us that there's more to theology than reading and deciphering and defuseing calvin!!

:1_grouphug::1_grouphug:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Defuse!?! Maybe you mean "Refuting"......Must not been a Calvinist Seminary. Right.

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hello Webdog - long time since we sharpened iron (or, dulled the edges). See my responses in bold

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I have mentioned a few times on the website that I cant go the "calvinism" route.

This, posted by J.D....

...is another *classic* example of why I find calvinism to be "wanting" from a theological point of view.

God has clearly told us that it is NOT His will that ANY should perish, but that ALL would come to repentance.

Of course we know that many will not respond to God as He calles them to Himself, and they will perish.

But that is NOT Gods doing...it is their fault...and NOT Gods will.

God gives saving "light" to "every "man"," (person) ...who "comes into the world".

#66 Alive in Christ, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011
  7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Another example of why I spend much less time on Baptistboard than I used to and why I should continue to trend.

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

By the way, it's interesting that at the time of this posting, there are 17 calvinists (of various stripes) and 17 other-than-calvinists. Looks like about 50% of BB is Calvinist. That's a pretty good representation.

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right there with you brother. Has even caused me to rethink my position on Non Reformed Churches. The line has been drawn.

BTW you have other (Reformed) alternatives to this.... I will PM you.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correction....they bounced Luke yesterday.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

As of this writing, he has not been "bounced." Although I am not going to defend his posts, I did detect a willingness to learn and do better at the rules. I have seen others that were way beyond hope. For what it is worth, I hope the administrators will hold off this time and see if things improve. This has nothing to do with the side he takes, I believe he is just too fervent about his position, and is having trouble expressing that in a certain way that is civil. I do believe him to be sincere in what he believes and not a troublemaker. He just needs to be more tolerant of other views.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is a smart young man & will do well in life....I will stay in touch....he is a friend .... I wish him only the best.

14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

JD, all I saw was someone with concerns about what you posted. It wasn't ugly. In fact, I too have some of the same concerns. That doesn't mean that I don't like you or Reformed folks. While I lean in thier direction I just don't fully agree with their conclusions or interpretation. Folks like me have been called "self-salvationists," told that "we don't understand (ie. you are ignorant), that we are denying what is clearly written in the Bible, had our salvation questioned, called Armenian when we clearly are not, etc. Yet, I haven't left to go to a place where everyone agrees with me. How would that help me to grow, to learn, to be challenged?

15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I see the same things... And, I suspect that we've all been guilty at times.

Along the way, I've also seen that people are very hesitant to identify with their position along the theological spectrum, as if by disavowing to realize that they actually have a position, they can escape the results of their position.

From another post:

Suggesting that you have found Calvinism "wanting" and it actually being "wanting" are two different things. Perhaps you have not fully grasped the theological package or perhaps you have come at it with a bias against it from the start. In either case, you might then see that the Reformed position is wanting. Mostly, what I find is that people who think so do that because they have some stereotypes about what the doctrine that they refuse to examine in light of the historical teaching of the church based on the Word of God. For instance, setting up the straw man argument of a deterministic God, then working to defeat that argument with the concept of free will, when the proposition that includes a deterministic God is not part of the Reformed position. There are, of course, other examples that one could examine on this subject.

But, you say what you say next...

Did God KNOW that they would not come? Then if so (and He DID know...) where is the issue? Can it be God's desire that all are saved, but also God's realization that all are not saved? Certainly. Do we not know that first because He revealed that in the Word?

John's gospel does indeed say that "light" came into the world and the world rejected that light. It goes on to say that all those who were not God's from the start rejected the light. But, all those who are saved by God are saved, not because of human will. So, arguing your position, but including human will as the distinguishing factor denies the Scriptures that say otherwise.

16. Osage Bluestem

Interesting.

Given a sample of about three days or so, the poll suggests that the baptist board is right about 50% calvinistic.

That's actually pretty good, it seems to be about the norm these days for an SBC church. I think I'll fit in here.

:thumbsup:

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

It doesn't say "banned" under Luke's name, so "they" didn't bounce him. What Dr. Bob said was "it's time for a vacation for a certain member". Since Osage hasn't been here long enough to know: vacation usually means a two week suspension, while said member cools off and cleans up his act.

Luke had no business posting that tirade yesterday. It was not only offensive to the member it was directed at, but it was offensive to every member on this board who happens to disagree with Luke. This is not "Luke's BB", this the BB and we shouldn't have to tolerate posts like this which are clearly against BB rules that have worked since the inception of the board.

I tend to agree with Saturn and GL that Luke could become a productive member of this board and had hoped recently that he was becoming just that. But yesterday he was way over the line.

'Nuff said, we are way off topic with this conversation.

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

It has nothing to do with ugliness - although that is a concern also. He didn't address my points, he just shot a broadside against Calvinism in general. I can't have a conversation like that. And then he added content after my response without marking the edit as added material. That's not ethical.

19. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You mean somebody else took my "hothead" title from me, and I didn't know about it ?
    (cleaning my floor so I can tantrum all over it !!).....

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are those like myself that could not vote for either. If there was an "other" option, I'm sure it would be quite a bit less ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.