1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism Critiqued by a Former Calvinist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Sep 22, 2011.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

The statement we are dragged kicking and screaming into the truths of our theology is nonsense and is a misrepresentation of the brethren.

Factually, when presented with these truths, some, including myself, fought against it in ignorance. I want to retiterate that I for one wasn't taught this system by any one person, nor did I take to it after reading reformed theologies, nor Calvin. These truths were instead brought to my attention by a brother, whom I rejected immediately (as far as teaching), then reading through Scriptures these truths were expressly brought to light via the Holy Spirit, after conviction for rejecting the truths that were presented.

I subsequently repented of my attitude against such and embraced these truths after much study and some toil with my former theological position.

These truths are the testimony of all of Scripture, and are not the conclusions derived from a set of proof-texts as non-cals are typically notorious in doing. This is one reason, and a huge glaring reason as to why they are in error theologically.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Don't thin tkat non calls have ben as 'consistent" though in the model of sotierology working under, as there are differing viewpoints in the camp!
    Also, to be blunt, would say the cals do have a more consistent 'biblical" viw on salvation, as we try to fit the model based upon the totality of the scriptures...

]

Strange...

Think majority of us came to DoG not kicking and screaming, but as in my case, but reading the Bible, reading MANY theologies from ALL different perspectives, and kept coming back to the biblical facts that we ALL were killed off by the fall, that it is God that aleways took intive to redeem man, and the Cross of Christ secured "real" salvation for His people, not a"hope/might/possible" salvation, based upon how we respond to it!

3. preacher4truth

Thanks and amen.

4. preacher4truth

Yes and amen again! :thumbsup:

5. mandym

mandym New Member

We don't have nay of these "problems" but we do get mischaracterized by cals like you most frequently do.

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Can you perceive now why you analogy of "cheerleading and pom-poms" is probably not the best way to make your point?

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is more often than not the testimony of many who had a natural understanding having not even been exposed to the whole counsel of God...but given a quick ,shallow 3 or 4 step understanding of what we are meant to study out in detail.
    I am glad that there are those who are zealous to win souls...and do what they can with what they know ....as best as they are able.
    Often times God will bless the obedience and zeal to fulfill the Great Commission as someone plants good seed in good soil.
    Then God sends someone else to water the seed so it grows healthy and strong.
    The healthy tree...does not despise those God sent to water it....{apostles ,prohets, pastors, and teachers} but rather enjoy the fruits of their labors in the word....unlike OT Israel whom we read this about;

Some proudly boast of only needing the bible.Well the bible is always primary,among the people of God..nevertheless God uses iron to sharpen iron...can you imagine this conversion????

Can you imagine this response???/

Then the Eunuch flew off the handle and snapped at him.....I only need Isaiah all by myself....Twaddle, Fiddlesticks, I do not need your man made dogma....you are trying to help me Philip? That is arrogant, rude, haughty, and condescending...you eliteist....
    Who elected you to pontificate about me???? are you judging me???
    I have "free-will" ...I am my own god...I determine for myself what is right and what is wrong.
    Philip....your god is wicked and causes man to sin....I could not worship a god like that...no way.....my god is nice...he never sends anyone to hell, they send themselves.....Philip you speak of a God who is total control of all things that come to pass....but my god limits himself,so that he really is not sure what will happen in the future....he wishes that someone somewhere will like him...after all ...we are not robots Philip.....

P4T.....could you imagine that conversation! That would just be horrible..I am glad we read what we read in Acts 8 however!
    :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

8. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I said it is the testimony of some. RC Sproul is one of them. I've also heard others here on this board testify to the same thing as they explain the difficulty of accepting these teachings. That is a factual statement, not a misrepresentation.

And that is all I was referring to, so now you can take back you prior statement about my misrepresenting something.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::applause::applause:

10. quantumfaith

How is that you often describe what others say, think etc........Oh Yeah

FIDDLESTICKS

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A questioning of someones beliefs can lead to growth...if there are defects, they can be corrected.:type:

12. quantumfaith

This is a true statement. :)

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    QF :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Seriously.....this should be what takes place here..instead of .....let me poke you in the eye with a stick,then when you react...i will call you arrogant and rude....kind of dynamic...

Doctrines of Grace aside....there are many good teachings and writings about scripture that can be developed or discussed that would be much more beneficial...we could grow eponentially[math reference for you]:laugh:

14. quantumfaith

I like it (exponential), do you know the name of its inverse?

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great points Iconoclast, I have found grasciousness, and true agape love - the fruit of the Spirit - in all sorts of churches from hyper-cal to rampant Arminius.

HankD

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Complete hogwash. I see nothing of deep substance from either you or P4T, in fact when he first arrived here I tried engaging him in a serious discussion on deeper things and he was utterly lost.

I notice just about every one of you posts start with "think". In all honesty you do not go deep in your own postings here, so I wouldn't be too quick to call out the knowledge and study of non cal's.

17. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

The only problem with that is that is just isnt true.

We must embrace Christ. Trust Him. Recieve Him

God does not do that for us. WE have a choice to make...

And that principle, that WE are called to choose, is repeated over and over and over again all through the scriptures. From the old testament all the way through Paul, the other apostles, and Christ Himself.

18. JesusFan

Just curious as to what theologies from reformed/calvinistic/DoG you have read and studied?

Because onone hand, cals are accused of being 'too much" into serious scholarly learning, yet other hand, asked to be more in depth?

19. mandym

mandym New Member

You keep saying what cals are accused of yet I have sen none of it here on the BB. And so many of your posts are nothing more than what icon suggested. A poke in the eye to non cals.

20. JesusFan

[
    Again, the non cals here fail to see that due to the fall of adam, and the spiritual condition/stae that forced upon ALL of us In Adam...

God does honor our choice "free will", its just that in and by ourselves we will always chose "no" to the Gospel as it offends us and makes us angry, as it strikes at our own "self rightousness"

And that principle, that WE are called to choose, is repeated over and over and over again all through the scriptures. From the old testament all the way through Paul, the other apostles, and Christ Himself.[/QUOTE]