1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism on a Monday afternoon

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bill Brown, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Oh how marvelous is the Lord and unfathomable His ways! Just a few moments ago a young Air Force E-3 left our church. Upon his depature my pastor and I were overwhelmed at the absolute sovereignty of God.

I was riding by my church this afternoon when I noticed my pastors Ford in the parking lot. "Ah," I said. "He's in there. I'm going to stop by and discuss some theology." That is exactly what happened. I parked, went into the church and sat down and discussed some finer theological points. Both of us had just about exhausted our conversation and we were about to leave when a silver Pontiac Vibe pulled up to the church. A young man with a military haircut approached. He was checkin out our scheduled of services during the week. We greeted him and invited him into the building. After the nickle and dime tour we were able to sit down in the sanctuary and have a chat. We learned that he was raised pentecostal and at 17 years of age placed his faith in Jesus Christ. He joined the Air Force in his mid-20's and had just been transfered to a military base near our church. He was looking for a place to worship. We provided him some written information on our church, prayed with him and thanked him for coming. He also filled out a visitor card. He then left.

After this young man left my pastor exclaimed, "This is why I am a Calvinist!" Was it by sheer coincidence that my pastor was in the church on his day off? Was it by chance that I stopped by? Was it just dumb luck that we were here at the exact time the airman stopped by? Of course not. The whole situation was ordered by God.

Soli Deo Gloria

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Amen Bill, great testimony! What a great and glorious God we serve.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill , that was an encouraging post . And I want to say that the very same God does those very same things in the lives of Arminians who rely on Him . Much of their theology is " impoverished " as James Packer has said , but God works through earthen vessels . All His elect ones are earthen , Calvinists included .

BTW , would the non-Calvinists here mine being called " the elect " ?

4. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Rippon, I agree. God does do the same in the lives of Arminians. God acts despite our theology. I will debate (vehemently at times) with Arminians, but I do not deny that God's saving grace is effectual on all those He calls, Arminians and Calvinists.