1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism : Questions

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by LaGrange, Nov 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Everyone,
    I’m new and this is my first post. I’m Catholic and a Thomist. I’m not interested in debating but clarifying Calvinistic Theology. I want to understand Calvinism correctly but I wasn’t sure which forum to get on. I’ve been studying Calvin’s Institutes and I’ve studied his “Treatise on the Eternal Predestination of God”. Also, I’m also using Louis Berkof’s Systematic Theology to help. I would appreciate it if someone would let me know if this is where I should ask these kinds of questions?

Thank you

2. Parashah

Parashah Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm new also but find it impossible to have a genuine conversation here without being trolled.

Not sure where you should be in the Forum but Prof. Louis Berkhof's Systematic Theology was our main text book when I started Bible College in 1988 and I rejected Calvinism on his interpretation.

However, I later read Dr. Millard J. Ericsson's Christian Theology and changed my view and became a Moderate Calvinist.

3. Parashah

Parashah Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    PS I was in a Protestant Interdenominational Bible College at the time.

Our lecturers used to joke that the followers of Calvin were more Calvinistic than Calvin himself.

4. Parashah

Parashah Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ericsson has given the best explanation of Predestination and Election I've ever read.

He manages to synthesise Divine Sovereignty and human Free Will in a way that finally made sense after yrs of searching

5. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you for the good advise. I will look into Ericsson. There are many subtle things that I need to make sure I’m understanding correctly. I will try a question or two to see what happens. Thanks again!

6. Parashah

Parashah Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All good.

Theology is the most exciting subject I've even studied.

BTW Berkhof was great in his day and was the main Standard Bearer for Protestant Theology but his writings needed bringing into the 21st century to be relevant.

Many now consider Ericsson to have replaced him but traditionists still stick with Berkhof.

If you want a "spoiler" on how I believe he integrated Divine Sovereignty and human Free Will let me know.

7. Parashah

Parashah Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just wanted to say goodbye, LaGrange, as you seem one of the genuine ones here.

I only opened my account here today but I've decided to close it.

Having worked in Christian ministry and now retired I feel there are trolls and offensive comments and personal attacks allowed here that I believe are not appropriate on a Christian website.

Stay Strong in Christ and hope you find Ericsson interesting!

• Like Like x 1
  8. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not completely a joke. A bit of history on the name "Calvinist" and the Reformed Movement. Setting aside Augustine, who discovered many of the same truths a millennium earlier under the Catholic Church, the ideas found in the Reformation (Calvinism) begin with Tindale and Huss and Zwengli (some of whom lived and died before John Calvin was even born), and was clearly defined at the Synod of Dort after John Calvin. The famous "TULIP" of Calvinism dates to the 20th century as an acronym.

The name "Calvinist" was given to the Reformers by the powerful Lutheran state church as an insult to describe those reformers that had gone beyond the teaching of Luther and, in their opinion, the teaching of scripture. The name was intended as an insult to imply that these reformers were following a man (Calvin) rather than Scripture. So the writings of John Calvin are useful, but they are not the foundation of Calvinism. The closest thing for that purpose that you will find is the report of the Synod of Dort, which was written as an official response from the "ecumenical" Reformed community to the Remonstrances of the Arminians.

Beyond that, the Reformed split into two distinct branches in the 1600's. One branch leads to the Dutch Reformed and the modern Presbyterians and their views are best codified in the Westminster Confession of Faith. The other branch leads to the Baptists and their views are best codified in the London Confession of 1644.

Let me know if you have specific questions that I can help with.
    For the record, I am a Reformed (Calvinist) Baptist that just happens to be familiar with the Westminster Confession and not a complete stranger to Catholicism.

(Avoid the Political Forum and avoid senseless arguments in the other forums.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can post in the Calvinism vs Arminianism debate forum. We really have very few (I think one) Arminian members and we have quite a few Calvinists. The title of the forum is perhaps a little wrong but that would be the appropriate section and it is open to all denominations.

Just be warned, in that section (and in politics) you will see Christians acting as heathens. :D

Calvinism & Arminianism Debate

10. Parashah

Parashah Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thx for that.

I'm still a little hot under the collar about some of the comments earlier. So I'll wait a little while till I calm down so I don't say something that I will regret later.

Yes, I was aware of Augustine. A brilliant mind for sure. If memory serves me correctly much of the Protestant Reformation was based on Augustine's teaching but my studies were a long time ago now.

FYI I completed a Diploma in Ministry at an Interdenominational Bible College in Sydney, Australia and then started a Theology degree with Morling College Sydney.

Morling was the main Baptist Theological Seminary for Australia at the time. I had to defer my studies due to my wife's illness and never completed it.

#10 Parashah, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  11. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are way ahead of me in Bible Academics. I took one course at a Community College where a Jesuit Professor taught me that Moses didn't write Genesis but it was compiled by scribes from the P, S and V versions that predated it. That pretty much ended any enthusiasm for formal theological study.

So I studied Mathematics, Behavioral Science, Computer Science, and then got a Bach. of Architecture. About 90% of my theology came from desperately searching the Bible for answers to really hard questions, and the vocabulary lesson came from an adult Sunday School class taught by Hank, who had Doctorates in Theology and Mathematics from Moody and headed up sales for Coca Cola. It turned out what I believed was 4 point Calvinism (I never gave any thought to who else Jesus died for, it was enough that He died for me.)

• (T) People are no darn good.
    • (U) God sure didn't pick me because I deserved it.
    • (L) ... How should I know who Jesus died for, ask Him. He died for me and that's good enough for me!
    • (I) God made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
    • (P) God's arm is not short, so God will finish what God starts!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His textbook is probably the standard one in use, along with Dr Grudem!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Berkhof is really good for a concise underlying of Calvinism,but need Grudem and Erickson to balance in the " Baptist perspective"

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to assist you on this area, as started out myself reading Hodge and Berkhof, and then Grudem and Erickson, and now reading John frame!

15. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I’ve read everybody’s responses and I want to thank you! Erickson’s Book is another 1,200 pager! Lol That’s a good thing. I like the Tulip acronym by atpollard. Funny! The history I haven’t heard before so I know I’m going to learn a lot. Thanks for everything!

16. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello LaGrange, I have a scholarly buddy that is a Baptist and a Thomist. He graduated from VIU Norman L. Geisler School of Apologetics and is what I would call a very Soft Determinist and a Compatibilist but understands the importance of maintaining free will to avoid Theological Fatalism. Welcome to the board and the world of Determinism VS Free Will.

17. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you! Interesting combo! That reminds me of William Lane Craig. I think he and Norman Geisler were friends too. I think I heard they both went to Loyola.

18. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I meant to say Craig is a Molinist.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    read him and Dr Grudem for Baptist views, then go into the deep pool for likes of a Hodge or John Gill!

20. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By moderate Calvinist, I'm assuming you mean what some people like to call 4-point Calvinist. Is that correct?

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully, you decide to stay a little longer. It's a great time in America right now so don't let anyone else bring you down, friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.