1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism vs. DoG??

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by convicted1, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, Im glad you brought that up.....even happier your here...your spot on with that. Thanks for pointing that out.

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And...you are probably correct. I'm not so much interested in the labels; my intent was to point out that there are several non-reformed types who would likely bristle at your use of "self-salvation." And, because of that bristling, more heat than light generally follows. That's all.

Blessings,

The Archangel

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I appreciate your thoughts- I really do. I think you have a good point that the Doctrines of Grace did not begin in the 16th century but rather in eternity past.

But I think it is unfortunate that some feel the need to kowtow to Arminians and use terms they find more palatable.

Calvin was a great man and his name ought not be tossed out like a piece of trash just because some people are determined to stigmatize it.

He systematized our theology. No man contributed more to those doctrines and the spread of them than Calvin. He was brilliant. He was perhaps the most important of the Reformers; and to espouse the doctrines he systematized and refuse to be identified with him does not seem right to me.

I do not think he should be so lightly tossed aside. It would be like a black American refusing to be identified with Martin Luther King or any American refusing to be identified with George Washington.

I don't think it is honorable.

BTW, I like your bike. Is that a Valkerie?

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, I think that it is ironic that he avoids identifying himself as a Calvinist which is clearly what he is due to the fact that he thinks the term genders more heat than light and in the same post he calls those who would not find the term Calvinist palatable- "Sefl-salvationists"

I would certainly think that calling someone such a thing generates far more heat than light and a great deal more so than identifying oneself as a Calvinist (which is what he is).

I don't get it.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not toss John Calvin aside, lightly or otherwise. I find his writings informative and well ordered. I do not agree with some of his positions, but his "Institutes" is an excellent theology primer and no one can honestly say they have studied theology without having read the "Institutes."

However, I also believe our so great salvation is much too large to be contained in the name of a mere man. :)
    Yes. A Valkerie F6, 1500 cc horizontally opposed 6 cylinder (think Porsche engine) with 6 tuned single down draft carburetors feeding through short tube ram induction and a six speed, close ratio manual transmission. It brought my wife and me great joy to travel the mountains east of San Diego on a warm Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately my progressive neurological disorder no longer allows me to ride it. To keep it in the family I gave it to my son-in-law who rides it to work every day he is not halfway around the world on a business trip. :)

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you misunderstood. To call yourself a Calvinist, in this venue, is an almost automatic shutdown of any reasoned discussion. But to use such a term as I did invites rebuttal. Even if that rebuttal is in the form of a denial. An excellent example can be seen in my discussions with quantumfaith. :)

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Coming from the FW side, I call these people Brother or Sister in Christ!!:thumbs:

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Gothcha. :thumbs:

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks I do appreciate that

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke, we are just trying to tone down the animosity.

#71 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
  12. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Amen. I think that we can disagree with each other without being disagreeable. Know what I mean?

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks but I should have spelled "Tone" correctly...LOL

14. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without getting into any of the debate I would say that I describe myself as a believer in the Doctrines of Grace. I now very rarely if ever refer to myself as Calvinist, but not only for the reasons I find mentioned here. I don't think it right - this is just me speaking for myself - to describe my Christianity under the label of a human.

Also, Calvin believes many things I do not believe in: His views on sacraments, the Lord's Day (and here, interestingly, his views seemed to have changed), his eschatology, his view on covenants, etc. To call myself "Calvinist" is to imply that i believe all these.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hear, Hear :applause:

16. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

TCassidy, let me be clear, is the only way that we can have "reasoned" discussions is that I simply agree with you and all of your positions and the merrily go on my way? Denial of what? My only denial is that I do not see scripture and doctrines in the same way as do you. PERIOD!!!!!

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isnt capitalized words considered like shouting? I hope Dave, that isnt what you meant to do Brother.

18. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

No, my intention was not shouting, but yes it was intended to be emphasized brother.

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, no. That was my whole point!
    Denial of the label "self-salvationist."
    Exactly my point. But rather than just ignoring the discussion you chose to engage me in conversation. That was the goal.:)

20. drfuss

drfuss New Member

You sure have that backwards. Calvinism is not offensive and describes the belief; the term the doctrines of grace is offensive to many Non-Calvinists.

Using the term the doctrines of grace to describe Calvinism compared to Non-Calvinists, implies that Non-Calvinists do not believe in God's grace. All Christians believe in God's grace. Christians do not appreciate having their belief misrepresented, which results in much resentment and rejection.

Instead of the term the doctrines of grace, why not be more descriptive by using unconditional election and irresistible grace?