1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinism: What Have We Been Elected To?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by atpollard, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well first of all I commend you SoveriegnGrace for seeking to be a witness that's wonderful. But actually on another discussion board just recently a person did ask or really lament that they didn't believe God was convicting them enough for sin and claimed God wouldn't work in their life and felt like an outcast. They weren't talking about Calvinism whatsoever but the same basic thought they didn't feel any irresistible drive to serve Jesus. So what type of assurance could you provide for them that God would be receptive to their life in a positive way? You wouldn't provide a that you know God will help them message? (and once again I have not made this story up)

2. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That wasn't what I meant at all. I must have written very poorly. I'm sorry for that.

You answered a Calvinist forum post in a manner which seemed like an affirmative multiple times. Now you're saying that you aren't actually Calvanist and are instead a primitive Baptist.

I was just trying to find out what Calvinists believe. One of the primary beliefs this forum thread was focused on was what some people call predestination, election, chosen, etc. (You may use another name for something similar.) You seemed to indicate you had this belief.

Now I don't know if you were just playing devil's advocate or actually believed what you wrote here. Are you playing a joke on me?

I saw the many posts you made here affirming the Calvinist viewpoint. I noticed the passage you used. But one thing I have failed to see is how any of this affected the faith of the people in action.

Assuming you weren't joking or playing devil's advocate, how does the belief in the passage actually affect your actions? Do you make sure you give more to the poor, or pray more or less, or do anything different because of this belief? How should it affect someone's actions? Why do you share your belief in this passage? Would you oppose performing sacraments (or whatever similar thing you may call it) with or for someone who believes differently? Do you believe that this belief is one of the keys to your salvation?

If you don't want to answer. That's fine. Your posts on this forum seemed to indicate your interest in sharing your beliefs. But if my questions make you feel uncomfortable, by all means, don't answer. I won't insist that you do and if you don't I won't take it personally. But hopefully, I haven't written my questions so poorly that they offend you.

I'm asking, in part, because I'm wondering if I should spend my limited time on studying this subject.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 5 AM Pacific.

4. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me, this person, if they are truly concerned, shows me God is already at work. And I would give them this verse...for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.[Philippians 2:13]

5. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not Primitive Baptist, Particular Baptist.

6. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how does non-Calvinism affect your actions in your daily life?

What actions would Christians have to do or modify to conform to non-Calvinism?

In what ways would a Christian upset God by not conforming to non-Calvinism?

Would a Christian that doesn't believe in non-Calvinism not be among "the elected" because he or she was not going to conform to non-Calvinism?

We can play your game all day...or until 5:00 PST when Squire locks the thread. O O ;) :D :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how does non-Calvinism affect your actions in your daily life?

I know actions are mine like picking out my own socks.

What actions would Christians have to do or modify to conform to non-Calvinism?

Come freely to His calling because of love of the truth, rather than claim they had no choice.

In what ways would a Christian upset God by not conforming to non-Calvinism?

Probably making out God as a Determinists, claiming Total Inability to freely respond while insisting that He is the creator of evil.

Would a Christian that doesn't believe in non-Calvinism not be among "the elected" because he or she was not going to conform to non-Calvinism?

All God’s ways are judgment and He judges a person’s heart in truth and bases election on faith which comes in Christ, knowing another’s heart and such judgment is above my paygrade.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

In a word, confidence. When things go wrong I know that God is completely in control. I have unsaved family members; I have done my best to witness to them, but if it depended on me, I would be in despair. Knowing that God is in control does not absolve me from witnessing, but it gives me hope.

Believe the Bible. :p
    That's not a call for me. God is not going to ask my opinion about whom He saves. However, it has never occurred to me that Arminians are not saved. We are not saved by our Biblical knowledge, but by repentance and faith in Christ.

However, both repentance and faith are described in the Bible as gifts of God.

9. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how does you belief in Calvinism affect your actions in your daily life?

I’m not a Calvinist but hold to the first three points and adjust the remaining two. That said, my greatest comfort is knowing that Jesus paid for my sins on the cross and kept the Law for me. So He sees me as righteous even though I’m not. And had he not died in my place, I could not believe in him nor seek repentance. If I try to doubt, my human faith goes away, but my heart faith remains telling me I am his and he will never leave or abandon me.

What actions would Christian have to do or modify to conform to Calvinism?

Stop having faith in your faith to save you. And trust only in Christ who saved you. Had he not died for you, you would not believe.

In what ways would a Christian upset God by not conforming to Calvinism?

By not recognizing God alone saves us, we rob him of his glory thinking salvation is conditional. And we met the conditions in our self-righteousness.

Would a Christian that doesn't believe in Calvinism not be among "the elected" because he or she was not going to conform to Calvinism?

Many hear today’s legalistic version of the gospel and in the end think they saved themselves by meeting conditions. Faith being one of the conditions. And their faith is in their faith. But if you realize “whoever believes God will save” can have two different themes, it will help.

The popular works view which is: any who choose to believe God will save. Or the other, the salvation by grace way: “whoever believes God will save” not as a condition, but as a characteristic of those whom God saves. It’s like saying whoever has blond hair and blue eyes probably hails from northern Europe.

Understood this way, a new way of looking at scripture will develop over time. Leading to the conclusion that you believe because God saved you. He did not save you because you believe.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure there was something. The lack of God's grace for you to believe. That kept you from believing.

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.