1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.

• Like Like x 3
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Facts??? We don't need no stinking facts!!! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is false and is unsound.

Lets go over them again:

Total Spiritual Inability is shown to be false my Matthew 23:13, where fallen men are seeking God, they are in the process of entering heaven. Additionally, Irresistible grace is shown to be false because they are blocked from entering.

Unconditional Election of individuals is shown to be false by 2 Thessalonians 2:13 where people are chosen for salvation through faith in the truth, a conditional election. Ditto for James 2:5.

Limited Atonement is shown to be false by 1 John 2:2 where Christ becomes the propitiation or means of salvation for the whole world, all of fallen mankind.

There is no sound defense for these bogus doctrines, only against the man fallacies, misrepresentations, and change of subject questions.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of the verses or passages cited above actually support the bogus doctrines.

I will just address the first one because they are all the same, misinterpretations.

John 6:43-44 NASB] 43 Jesus answered and said to them, "Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

No one can "come to Me" (Jesus) unless the father draws (attracts through the gospel) and those that "come to Me" arrive spiritually in Me, and I will raise Him up on the last day.

This passage provides absolutely no support for "total spiritual inability."

5. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    This passage does not say they are in process of entering Heaven.

It does not say all of fallen mankind. You have to prove that is what it is meaning based on context and the whole of Scripture. Whole world does not always mean every individual person. Agree?

Example: They eyes of the whole world are watching this moment. Does that mean every person? Of course not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "draws" and "will raise" SUPPORT (I was not required to prove, only demonstrate scriptural support for) Irresistible Grace. Those the Father does DRAW are the same ones that the Son WILL raise, which cannot be true if Grace can be resisted making man the determiner of who is "drawn" (and it would then not be "ἑλκύσῃ").

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is just plain silly. I mean I have a certain respect for Wesleyan Holiness and the Church of God, but this is just an embarrassing hack of scriptures.

[2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 NKJV] 13 But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth, 14 to which He called you by our gospel, for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    • GOD is the one who CHOSE from the beginning, so the choice belonged to God and not man.
    • From the BEGINNING speaks of a choice made before any human action could influence it and nothing in this verse suggests that any future human choice was the reason for God’s choice.
    • Everything after the word “through” is a dependent clause that describes HOW God intended to work out His choice to save. God sanctifies, man does not. God directs His Holy Spirit, man does not. So why should the sentence suddenly strip gears and God is going to stop using His resources to save and begin using some hypothetical innate ability of man to self-muster belief in the truth (which other verses claim cannot happen)? The sentence structure suggests that the belief in the truth is as much “of God” as sanctification and the Holy Spirit are.
    • The very next verse continues the same sentence with GOD calling man with the gospel, not with a decision of man to head towards God.
    • Nothing in this contradicts “Unconditional Election” and nothing in this supports “Conditional Election”.
    • There are verses that can be used to argue Conditional Election, but this is not one of them.
    [James 2:5-7 NKJV] 5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world [to be] rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts? 7 Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?
    • Are you seriously arguing that wealth disqualifies a person from salvation and God requires material poverty as a CONDITION for being chosen to be saved? Well, the median income world wide is about $700 per year, so no person who earns more than $700 per year can be a real Christian ... which rules out just about everyone in North America.
    • These verses have nothing to do with Election and everything to do with how we treat other Christians. It is all about not showing favoritism to the wealthy like the world does. It is about not treating your poor brothers in Christ with contempt the way the world treats the poor with contempt. It is a recognition of the fact that those who feel their need for God most acutely are more likely to be drawn to God because “God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty” (1 Cor 1:27).
    • This has nothing to do with “Conditional Election” or “Unconditional Election”. It is a red herring and a bunny trail.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to live where a spring fed a little creek and then flowed into a stream. Now I drew water from that spring, and so all the water I drank came from that spring. Does that mean all the water drawn by me from the spring I drank? I course not, what about my family members, my pets, and my livestock?

This same absurd claim has been repeated over and over, since all who were saved were drawn, that means all drawn were saved. A logical fallacy.

There is no support, only misrepresentations such as the above.

9. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Thumbsdown
    I can’t give you ‘ears to hear’ what the scripture actually SAYS.
    However, I have provided “support” even if you reject that support.
    (Which is what you said did not exist.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To repeat, there is no support in scripture for the TULI of the tulip. None, zip, nada.

1. Your first effort was to disparage me, not an auspicious start.

2) God chose us - not in dispute.

3) from the beginning - you have no idea of what beginning. Logically, the phrase refers to the beginning of the New Covenant.

4) "through" modifies the the verb "chose" describes the means - being set apart in Christ, and the basis - God crediting our faith in Christ as righteousness.

Therefore, once again, Conditional Election is taught by 2 Thessalonians 2:13.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wasting elections, your support is non-existent. Presenting a logical fallacy as if it was support is not support.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Next, concerning James 2:5, we get the old, "you can ignore a sub-point, if the main point asserts some other truth." More nonsense, more scripture does not mean what it says. Conditional Election has once again been shown to be biblical doctrine. Saying taint so is no rebuttal. God chose (1) people poor to the world, (2) people rich in faith, and (3) people who love God.

13. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bad illustration. God doesn't use all of his children in the same way just as you didn't use all of the water in the same way. But you DID use and possess all of it. It was YOUR water at that point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You continue to waste electrons, the interpretation of the text employed a logical fallacy and provided no support for the bogus doctrine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not wasting anything, I just proved your logic on your illustration didn't work. I know you don't like it but it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wasted electrons, David, next time just post "taint so."

17. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you ever offer substance? You say your favorite (robotic) catchphrase "taint so" all the time, which is just another way of saying taint so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David, May I suggest the ‘IGNORE’ feature?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note the massive amount of "substance" contained in this post.

Calvinism is defended not by substance but by false charges, disparagement, and misrepresentation.

All drinking water was drawn does not mean all drawn water was drinking water. What about irrigation water? Bath water? :)

All those saved were first drawn by the Father, but not all drawn by the Father were saved. So simple a child could grasp it.

20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of the water was used. Different purposes. Some in the body are a hand, some a foot, etc...

That's not what Scripture says.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.