1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinist dead

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by MrW, Apr 17, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true and the whole idea that exercising saving faith or receiving a gift can in any way be a "work" is a weak argument. I have read the argument spelled out by Owen and I know the concern was that if you play any part in it then you can distinguish yourself as being smarter or more virtuous than those around you which means your salvation is based now on merit. The reason I think that is a weak argument is that the definition of saving faith eliminates merit. However, I have heard people say "Well, at least I had sense enough to believe", so Owen had a point. And we live in the age of self esteem. And, being people, I have seen some in Calvinist circles with the same pride in their election. Sometimes those who are quickest to pronounce woe and declare the vast majority of others as reprobate seem awful sure that they are elect.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and this thread is closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.