1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinist Interpretation of Scripture

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Pioneer, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Pioneer

Pioneer Guest

Calvinists always interpret scripture according to their preconceived ideas. Redefining and /or ignoring key words is the norm for Calvinists. The clear teachings of the scriptures contradict Calvinism at every turn of the road.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it is non-Calvinists who always interpret the Scriptures according to their preconceived ideas. Redefining and/or ignoring key words is the norm for non-Calvinists. The clear teachings of the Scriptures contradict non-Calvinism at every turn of the road.

I hope this helps. [​IMG]

Ken

3. JMF

JMF New Member

A little example of what I have encountered along the way

1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so (those)in Christ shall all be made alive.

Context clearly teaches that Christ's sacrifice covered all men (Calvinists add the little word 'those' to help their doctrine along)

2 Chronicles 7:14 *{If} my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

* I have seen this word removed for the sake of upholding the Calvinistic doctrines

A man was hired to build a house and one of the requirements was that he use every brick in the pile. Upon finishing the house he shewed the owner his work and carefully noted that he had only left out a few of the bricks. In disgust, the owner demanded he tear it all down and start over.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who adds or subtracts from the Word of God, whether they are a non-Calvinist, or a Calvinist, or a hyper-Calvinist, should be ashamed of himself.

I hope this helps. [​IMG]

Ken

[ November 29, 2002, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

Actually, it is context that the little word "those" comes from. The very next verse explains exactly who in included in the all made alive in Christ, and it isn't every person who ever lived or who ever will live:

But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

Those who are made alive are: Christ, who was raised first, and is the promise of all the others who will be raised after him; and then at the time of Christ's coming, all those who belong to Christ will be raised, along with him, to life eternal.

So the little word "those" comes from the contextual explanation (verse 23) of what verse 22 means. All in Christ are made alive--first Christ and then all of those who belong to Christ. Verse 23 lays out for you quite clearly that it is those who belong to Christ that make up the all who are made alive in Christ.

Have you considered the ramifications of saying every person who ever lived is made alive in Christ? Isn't that universalism?

6. russell55

russell55 New Member

Whether a translation has "if" there or not has nothing whatsoever to do with Calvinism, but rather to do with the fact that the word "if" is not there in that place in the original text.

Either way, the verse doesn't contradict Calvinism in any way. What it means is that whenever God sent punishment (like drought, locusts, or pestilence) upon the Israelites for disobedience, God will respond to their genuine repentence by forgiving them and restoring the land.

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe a better example is in order:

"God so loved the World (and by the term "world" He must mean the arbitrarily selected FEW of Matt 7) that He gave His only begotten Son"

Or how about 2Peter 3

"God is not Willing that Any should perish but that ALL should come to repentance - and by "Willing" He must not mean that in the Sovereign sense of willing, or else by the term "Any" He must mean "Any of the arbitrarily select FEW of Matt 7" ).

Other examples could be provided.

In Christ,

Bob

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Weak and inane arguments, Bob. Maybe you can try again and do better. [​IMG]

Ken

9. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Actually, context demonstrates that individuals are either in the first Adam or in the Second Adam (Christ). No, we don't add "those" to "help our doctrine along."

Does this verse teach universalism? It says that ALL are made alive in Christ.

Right now WORLD hunger is a very serious issue. Are YOU starving?

Matthew 7 - "Many are called, but few are chosen." That's what the Scripture says, doesn't it?

You love Matthew 7 and analogies dealing with an individual's "precious little daughter", don't you Bob? What is the context of 2 Peter 3:9? What does the verse itself state?

"He is not willing that any of US should perish." Even if you go to a varying manuscript ("you"), it doesn't change the context - Peter was writing to "saints".

[ December 07, 2002, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Rev. G ]

10. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Is there a reason for this post? Is this a statement that reflects deep thought, or a wrestling with complicated issues? Or is it merely mean-spirited and thoughtless ranting?

If the "clear teachings of the scriptures contradict Calvinism at every turn of the road", then please explain the following:

* The Church's affirmation of the "Augustinian" conception of grace (ecumenical councils, synods, etc.) and the Church's rejection of "Pelagianism" and "semi-Pelagianism" as heresy.

* The Protestant Reformation.

* The Great Awakening.

* The Modern Missionary Movement.

I look forward to your thoughtful reply. [​IMG]

11. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

Arminians approach the Scriptures with the preconceived ideas of the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of all men. In an attempt to prove their humanistic theories, Arminians twist the Scriptures to fit these preconceived ideas. If one searches the Scriptures without any preconceived ideas, he or she is bound to believe th absolute sovereignty of God and the doctrines of grace. Apart from the scriptural testimony, experience teaches Arminianism is false because multitudes are dying every day without hearing the Gospel. If I were to send my Son to die in the place of the world and them hearing about it was the only way it could be beneficial, I would surely see to it that they heard about it. Is God an underacheiver? This must surely be the case in the Arminian scheme.

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...or maybe we could just read the context??? In verses 3-8, Jesus discusses the new birth. He compares it directly to physical birth. Did anyone ever choose to be born? Do you really think He didn't know the implications of such a comparison?

Talk about yanking scripture out of its context :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Peter is refering "us": 2Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

I hope they're better than this or at least that you consider the contexts before posting them.

13. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 26:28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be an Arminian? :eek: ... Brother Glen Of The Primitive Baptsit Brethren [​IMG]

[ December 08, 2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]