1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinist, Reformed Theology No Longer Allowed

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by reformedbeliever, Nov 13, 2007.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

I wonder if we will ever see a sticky stating that, on the BB?
    Arbuckle Baptist Association in Oklahoma, voted last week to "take a public stand against Reformed theology" in the Oklahoma Baptist Convention and to register their opposition with the Executive Committee of the SBC. http://www.founders.org/blog/2007/11/building-bridges-vs-burning-bridges.html
    A new Southern Baptist Church start was denied entrance into the Bryan Baptist Association in Oklahoma due to its Calvinistic Pastors and teaching. There is a move within this (Bryan Association) against the Calvinistic director of missions. This Association is split over the doctrines of sovereign grace.
    I am beginning to have serious reservations as to whether the Building Bridges Conference will really build bridges instead of burning them. Can reformed and non reformed theology survive together under the same umbrella?

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess these anti-reformers don't put much stock in Baptist heritage or history.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The writing is on the wall, gentlemen (and ladies). Surely you didn't think the fighting would end with the "liberals"?

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

My heart is truly saddened by all this. God help us all, is my prayer.

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SBC and its affiliates are committing organizational suicide.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm afraid so.

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ilk in charge of the SBC are fueled by continual conflict. In order for such a system to work, there must always be an adversary. First it was the moderates. Now it's the Calvinists. It will not stop as long as the powers that be are the powers that be.

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

I nominate you Head Drama King and over exagerationist-extrordinair!
    But then you are no friend of the SBC anyway. :BangHead:

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Twas not always this way, my friend.

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

Uh, HELLOOOOoooo !!

It is NOT the SBC but ONE of its ASSOCIATIONS within it's umbrella.

I will add that I know of quite a few Calvinists who would like to rid the SBC of Non-Calvinistist theologly as well.

The extremes of both sides are wanting a death, end-it-all clash, by which one of the other is completely annilalited from the SBC.

Howeve, with that said, they (both extremist sides) are in the minority of the SBC and it will not be more than a hot air to most and we will simply open the windows and let it air out. I'm sure after their tussles for power and recieve none the most likely will leave anyway.

I say Good Ridenence to bad rubish!

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SBC is doing it through different means. This association is just the tip of the iceberg. The same problem is pervasive in the SBC--"Those just like me and no others."

I personally do not agree with the tenets of Calvinism, but I object to the unfair caricatures that many non-Calvinists set up. You are correct; the non-Calvinists have no monopoly on the crusader mentality.

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

Whether it was not so in the past, you speak it loud and clear on here now.

I don't mind be against it and having your own disgust toward it but don't generalize the SBC nor reduce it's leadership to basically a heathen status because they do not do what YOU and some others like.

They are still only men but they are men who are (for the most part) acting in accordance with what the majority of churches are requesting. They do not always follow the majority but since I do know a few of them and sat under somes leadership and preaching many times I can say they seek to honor God, are diligent in prayer and study, and wholy desirous fulfill what God has called them to.

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not doubt the sincerity of their beliefs, but I vehemently oppose the methodology. I've seen too much "slash and burn" to think otherwise. The leadership of the SBC in the past couple of decades is not "heathen" but is rather askew.

Why must the parameters be perpetually narrowed? Why can we not agree simply to co-exist?

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

There NO proof that accusation. Yes it being hashed out is a few associations but that does not necessiate that it is something lurking (so to speak) in the shadows of the SBC waiting to pounce.

This problem is pervasive in EVERY denonmination and theology there is.
    But to make the quantum leap of this being the tip of the iceburg with SBC is nothing more than theory.

I agree with you here in both aspects. 1. not agreeing with some with Calvinisms constructs, and 2. being against the hostility towards those of its belief and practice.

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

Has the leadership of the SBC said otherwise??

Not that I have heard, seen, or witnessed.

16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it's theory! It won't be fact until after it occurs, if it does. I may be wrong; I admit that. However, I think something is brewing that will rock the convention.

The fight on the IMB board of trustees, IMO, is a microcosm of what is to come. The issue of "alien immersion" will not go away. I used to think that the private prayer language would be bigger than it has turned out to be, but I was wrong. It seems that the baptism guidelines for the IMB are of greater consequence.

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This goes beyond Calvinism. The IMB has narrowed parameters by trustee fiat. Sure, no one is being kicked out of the convention, but what kind of participation is it when you can only give your money but not serve?

18. Allan

Allan Active Member

Or the non-cal for that matter.

This is a sad report and one that is a stigma upon the rest of us. It will be used a banner call to all the extremists of both sides to prepare for battle, begin the name calling, and finding any little thing to use their martyr complexes to encite more hated, anger, beligerence, and ignorance toward the other side - their brothers in Christ.

That question is better viewed NOT by looking at a few incidents but the whole of the SBC. It is bringing awareness but what we NOW need corrispondance AS WELL AS cooperation in ministry/evangelism like our founders did, which were both Cal and Non-Cal.

19. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

HAven't been in awhile. Hope everyone is doing well. I wouldn't worry about this too much. Study the downgrade controversy in Spurgeon's day...part of it was surrounding what we call Calvinist theology. The truth will prevail.

20. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Good to see you back my friend. I do not worry, but am concerned seeing as how it is the church God called me to plant that is under attack because of my Calvinist beliefs and teaching. You would not believe the misrepresentation ....... or rather false witness that has been spread about us. I don't mind this for myself so much, but those of my congregation who have lived in this county their whole lives, have had their very reputation and livelyhoods damaged. If it were not for the fact that this needs to be handled by the church rather than secular courts, slander/libel suits would have already been filed. I don't think people realize the seriousness of this.
    The pastors of the non-Calvinist churches who have attacked us, have taught their congregations misrepresentations about Calvinism. They have said we are not evangelistic, which is false witness. We have one of the finest puppet ministries in North America, who have evangelized for many different occasions and denominations for many years. We hold block parties and actually work outside our church to bring the Gospel to the lost. Many of the same churches who are attacking us would have the attitude that the lost can come to them.
    Please pray for our church and our evangelistic efforts. Pray for the associations involved and the churches represented on both sides.