1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinist response to FotF commercial of John 3:16

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, Jan 15, 2012.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

When we are in Christ we are no longer apart of the world. We are in it, not of it. The world has done all these things that the Holy Bible says, but we who are in Christ are to be light to the world, light in the darkness. It does not take away God loving this world that He gave His Only Begotten Son.

When we look out and see a dead world, we should not forget who is the only life in this world. It isn't us it is Jesus and the only reason we have life is because of Jesus Christ. I am a sinner with no life in me, my life is in Jesus not within me.

We should not keep it to our self but share it, and praise God it is for sinners like me. I am no better than anyone else in this world and they do have the same hope I have Jesus Christ.

"Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord."—Romans 6:8-11.

#61 psalms109:31, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am in agreement with Padre, but my stock answer is always that we believe that the world for which Christ died was the world of His elect. The world of souls for which He died do not have their trespasses imputed to them and therefore cannot be condemned (2 Cor. 5: 18-19). This is Biblical.:godisgood::thumbs:

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post Brother.... I totally agree! :thumbs:

4. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Luke 9:26
    Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

John 6:45
    It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me.

John 14:24
    Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

Matthew 11:29
    Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Psalm 73:28
    But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, That I may declare all Your works.

Romans 4:5
    However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness.

Zephaniah 3:2
    She has not obeyed His voice, She has not received correction; She has not trusted in the LORD, She has not drawn near to her God.

Hebrews 7:
    18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    World as used by John

Lets consider that Paul and Matthew used "world" differently than John, so to determine what John meant, lets look at how John used the word.

John 17:7: World does not appear in the text!!!

John 12:31 Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out. Fallen mankind is in view!

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful. The corrupt system of fallen mankind is in view.

John 15:18 If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. Again fallen mankind is in view.

Revelation 13:3 The Greek word "kosmos" does not appear in the text!!!

In summary, of the five verses cited to support "kosmos" was being used by John to refer to something other than fallen mankind, two did not even have our word in the text and the other three either refer to fallen mankind or the corrupt system of fallen mankind.

Revelation 5:9 Our word "kosmos" does not appear in the text!!!

Revelation 7:9 Our word "kosmos" does not appear in the text.

In summary neither verse cited supports the premise that John used "kosmos" to sometimes refer to Jews only and other times Gentiles only.

John 12:19 So the Pharisees said to one another, “You see that you are not doing any good; look, the world has gone after Him.” This verse presents an opportunity to discuss the intended scope of words. Did the Pharisees mean to say every single person in the known world was following Jesus? Of course not. Rather the idea was to refer to the vast majority of those in view, i.e. the people the Pharisees were referring to, were following Jesus, hence the hyperbole of "the whole world." But when viewed as hyperbole, then fallen mankind works here too.

John 7:4 For no one does anything in secret when he himself seeks to be known publicly. If You do these things, show Yourself to the world.” Again this usage refers to fallen mankind, in that anybody exposed to this person is included, i.e. John could have said show yourself to everybody else in your world. Hence "Kosmos" is used for all of fallen mankind or any undifferentiated segment of fallen mankind.

In summary no support for John using kosmos for other than fallen mankind or an undifferentiated segment of fallen mankind or to refer to the corrupt value system of fallen mankind, i.e in the eyes of the world refers to a value system not of God.

#65 Van, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012