1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvnism getting hammered lately on this board

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by BobRyan, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    the gospel???? why are you concerned?

Concerning some of her revelations: "In one of her visions her accompanying angels told her that the time of salvation for all sinners ended in 1844

On pages 42-45 of Early Writings, Mrs. White describes a closing of a door in the holy place of the heavenly sanctuary, and an opening in the most holy place (in 1844), that the "midnight cry" was finished at the seventh month 1844, (see p.43), that then was the "sealing time", and that the time for salvation for sinners had passed (p.45).

#41 Iconoclast, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am concerned about the Gospel on this section of the board because it tells us there is a problem with the Calvinist model.

As we saw on yet "another thread" that "is not closed".

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is what I just wrote to you about Romans 2 - where "as we saw" the mere quote of the text is "sufficient" to give rise to your strong objection to it.

your argument is "with the text".

4. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And so that is your excuse for making none? You skim all the details in the text and then respond with nothing???

As noted above "your argument is with the text"

And you have no answer for the problems for Calvinism that we all see "in the text" as noted in the posts above. #43 #42 #34

so you settle for posts about "vinegar" and ??? fluff.

Your problem is that you view a post that uses no vitriol and no lie -- such as my quote of the Bible -- to be "incoherent" when Calvinism does not fair well in those Bible texts... because your "argument is with the text" itself and the mere quote of the text is "sufficient to give rise to your strong objection to it".

That is a tough spot to be in.

in Christ,

Bob

#45 BobRyan, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
  6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BobRyan
    You have shown you cannot deal honestly with a person. You ignore what I say, then give your own fable on what you think is being said.

You string it out and bury the discussion by repeating your failed ideas over and over.
    Your response about Jn 12;32 has not been demonstrated at all to be any response.
    Attempting to use romans 2 where Paul discusses Judgement of a persons works does not address jn 12.
    You can quote the whole book of romans and it does not help you.
    I posted that portion of romans 2 that shows and explains why Paul said what he did. You try and ridicule me because you have no response biblically except to offer more out of context verses.
    I have to obey Mt7:6 when I see this kind of behavior on display.

One reason you have done this might be found here....is this what you believe?

#17 The Gift Of Prophecy

One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White. As the Lord's messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. Support is found in these Bible passages: Joel 2:28,29: Acts 2:14-21: Hebrews 1:1-3: Revelation 12:17: Revelation 19:10

I have no argument with any of the texts. I understand them, you do not.
    because you cannot understand Calvinism, does not mean it has a problem.

I was quoting from your prophet:thumbsup: You see Bob....if you want to conduct yourself in the way you are doing here, and are not serious to find truth....I can adapt and give you the kind of posts you offer to me, except I will use your prophet so we can see why we differ so much.:wavey:

-

Your mis-quotes of the bible is not to use the bible at all.

When responses are offered to show your misuse of the text and you turn and rend what is offered that is not the sign of good healthy interaction.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As usual -- Not on wit of exegesis in your post or responding to "the text" -

Your solution is composed of pure "harrrumph!'

By contrast

This is what I just wrote to you about Romans 2 - where "as we saw" the mere quote of the text is "sufficient" to give rise to your strong objection to it.

your argument is "with the text".

See?

Hint: that is "the text" --

Romans 2 is not "my failed idea" -- try dealing "with the text" for a change.

My support for John 12:32 was compelling and conclusive - meanwhile you ignore every detail - and settle for more "harrumph instead" posts.

until you read the actual posts.

Until you remember that YOU are asking about the Romans 2:15-16 case where someone with no access to the Bible is being drawn to God and saved.

I am always helped by the text- and you always complain when it is posted.

Were we "not supposed to notice"??

That has yet to demonstrated. you have demonstrated an unswerving devotion to "harrrumph" in your response - and little else.

in Christ,

Bob

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Thank you much Brother. I don't call myself a Calvinist because Calvin held some beliefs on infant Baptism, the Lords Supper, and the governance of the Church with which I disagree and I have never read anything Calvin wrote. However, I do believe in the Doctrines of Sovereign Election and Grace. It is unfortunate that sometimes we get so caught up in debate that we forget that we are disputing with fellow Christians. I said the following in another thread:

9. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I for one leave for a few weeks at a time for a couple reasons:
    First, I get tired of debating the same points over and over.
    Second, debating so much makes me angry. Not good for my growth in holiness.
    Third, much of the debating is a waste of time as most are not going to change their opinion based on the debates here.

10. OldRegular

Bro. Bosley

I would not want anyone to change their belief from Arminianism or whatever to the Doctrines of Sovereign Election and Grace based on my argument alone. However, I would hope that what I say might move them to a serious study of Scripture which may lead them to what I believe is a correct understanding of the teaching of Scripture concerning Sovereign Election and Grace!

11. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

That is a good point, and I believe that is the right attitude.
    I probably should have said that the debates are usually a waste of time as most people are too dedicated to their presuppositions to actually consider the other side's arguments.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It may be the case that Arminians leave this board from time to time for the same reasons. But it seemed to me that there were more Calvinists here in previous times.

For example there was a period of a few week where I think SavedByMercy was the most active and almost the only Calvinist posting on the current threads.

in Christ,

Bob

13. OldRegular

Ryan

Basically all you do is take Scripture out of context and repeat them over and over. That is one reason people do not respond!

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

People get tired of washing their eyes after reading one of your posts....

15. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Brother,

I would not want anyone to change their belief from Calvinism or whatever to the Biblical Doctrines of Sovereign Election and Grace based on my argument alone. However, I would hope that what I say might move them to a serious study of Scripture which may lead them to what I believe is a correct understanding of the teaching of Scripture concerning Biblical Sovereign Election and Grace.

16. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen!! :thumbsup:

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One of the most compelling substantive scripture responses we have seen from Calvinism on that subject of God's Lament.

It seems that in a failing position such as yours - there is no end to the idea of substituting vitriol, acrimony filled and "harrumph" toned (style over substance) posting instead of a Bible answer to the issues raised.

Your consistency with others that have chosen that same road -- noted.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    if the intent is to "explain why nobody posts" on the "Christian Debate Forums" -- then that is certainly one reason.

But once you do enter this part of the Board -- then that reason diminishes.

Notice that in the case of SavedByMercy's position it leads to a lot of answers/files/ being built up regarding the various points she raises.

in Christ,

Bob

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A factless accusation never actually proven to be true. But I understand that it is a "story" that some Calvinists like to tell themselves so not denying anyone the free will to go "down" that road.

20. OldRegular

Should I accuse you of plagiarizing my post #50? I thought it was good but??????