1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Campolo denies Omnipotence of God

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PastorSBC1303, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You think this statement is "pretty good stuff?"

2. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I have read Kushner's book and thought it was quite insightful. Not that I agree with all of his views, but I enjoyed reading his perspective.

I also tend to agree with Campolo's assessment.

3. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I wasn't being flip when I asked if he was helping Michael Jackson. I was just curious, trying to put a name with a face. [​IMG]

4. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

You think this statement is "pretty good stuff?"
    </font>[/QUOTE]As for me, I do believe that God is omnipotent, and that statement standing alone is something I would have a problem with. But Tony Campolo didn't say that, he's quoting someone else. And he didn't say that we should blindly accept everything the Rabbi says, he simply says consider his perspective, which fits the point Campolo is trying to make, which is instead of asking why (which we have done a tremendous amount of on this board) and start asking what next.

5. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I don't think we should accept the perspective on an unregenerate Rabbi who denies Jesus is the Christ. His theological view is irrelevant.

Campolo who I use to defend and admire has over the years went more into unorthodoxy. The fact is we know,"His way is in the whirlwind and the storm," (Nahum 1:3) and it is the will of God. It is not as complicated as Campolo tries to make it. The unregenerate will not understand but those who have Faith trust in the goodness of God rather than try to question His omnipotence by quoting an unbeliever who denies Jesus as the Son of God.

6. guitarpreacher

You can learn from someone without accepting everything about thier perspective, especially if the person is an Old Testament scholar. I'd hate to think I had to agree with every word and idea a person has before I could gain from their insights and perspectives.

And even if you throw out that one paragraph concerning God's omnipotence, the rest of what TC wrote was excellent, and words we should consider.

7. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

GP, I don't view the theology of a unregenerate rabbi who does not have the Spirit of God has being valid. I am surprised Campolo would use him as a valid source as if Kushner's theology really matters.

Campolo implies that he is confused over the nature of God and I believe he is.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

He's not just quoting Kushner, he's saying we should consider Kushner's view that God is not omnipotent. This statement, even in context, makes it sound like Campolo thinks Kushner might be correct.

I agree with some of Campolo's views on politics and some other issues, but some of his theological statements leave something to be desired.

This is from a 2003 article (largely favorable to Campolo) in Christianity Today:
    I think to be told to consider Kushner's view of God is insulting to a Christian.

9. guitarpreacher

I never realized how much it bothers you guys that not everyone 100% agrees with you.

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

From Campolo:

Tony, there are no innocent people.

11. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

So, are we not allowed to disagree with someone? What is your point?

12. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Indeed, why would we "do well to listen to the likes of Rabbi Harold Kushner" if Kushner's view is unbiblical? What kind of counsel is that? "This contradicts God's word, but I think it would help you to understand your tragedy."

To the degree that anyone listens to Kushner's denial of God's omnipotence, to that degree he will be led away from understanding God's relationship to Katrina.

(Disclaimer: I read heretics all the time, I just don't recommend that people consider their unbiblical claims as helpful.)

13. guitarpreacher

Quote: "Kushner points out that omnipotence is a Greek philosophical concept, but it is not in his Bible. Instead, the Hebrew Bible contends that God is mighty. That means that God is a greater force in the universe than all the other forces combined."

Can you use Scripture to prove that to be incorrect?

14. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Genesis 17:1 (and all other references to God being Almighty)
    Genesis 18:14
    Job 42:1-6
    Matthew 19:26
    Luke 1:37

15. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

And not to mention the entire book of Job.

16. guitarpreacher

So then you agree with the Rabbi that Scripture declares God to be almighty, but it does not say He is omnipotent?

17. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

First, Kushner uses the word "mighty". The Bible repeatedly uses the word "almighty". Almighty means omnipotent according to my dictionary.

The verses I listed above are clear on the matter. God is omnipotent.

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Oh, and here is the clincher - Rev. 19:6 (NKJV):

And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude, as the sound of many waters and as the sound of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns!

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You only read books from people who are Christians? Hey, you are missing some great books, not to mention some insight into the persepective of the unbeliever.

20. superdave

superdave New Member

God certainly controls the boundary of the sea!

Jer. 5:22-23

[ September 07, 2005, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: superdave ]