1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a child or infant be filled with the Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bro. Ruben, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Bro. Ruben

Bro. Ruben New Member

Last night during my devotion, I read the passage saying an infant -- even from the mother's womb -- can be filled with the Holy Ghost.

Maybe some of you know the passage I'm talking about; but is it possible for children and infant
    be filled?

Thanks, and God bless.

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Well, you have to look at the child that it happened to. I believe that was prophetic in nature, in that particular situation.
    Most cases, i dont think children are "filled with the Holy Spirit" like you are meaning, but I do believe He works in their hearts and lives and uses them to speak to others, even at a tender age.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Scripture says it you can be assured that he was filled the Holy Spirit from His mother's womb.

John the Baptist was in all probability an exception, but is anything to hard for God?

Rhetorical question of course.

HankD

4. Bro. Ruben

Bro. Ruben New Member

You're right Bro. Hank; it was John the one I was talking about.

How about at present time, can a child be filled with the Holy Spirit? Of course, nothing is impossible nor too hard for the Lord, but I can't just say that straightly to other people.

Thanks.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

The Holy Spirit only indwells Christians, those who are redeemed, sanctified. Nothing is impossible for God, yet God follows a set method, and He tells us what that is in scripture.
    Remember John the baptist was born before the Holy Spirit was given to believers. As in the OT the Holy Spirit indwelt some of God's people for a short time to accomplish what He had for them to do. For John it was a life long job. By John being indwelt before his birth shows he and his life were set apart for God's use, to accomplish God's will for him. This is not the norm, as we do not see it again in scripture, nor are we told about it in scripture. What we are told in scripture is that the indwelling Holy Spirit is reserved for saved Christians.
    Using scripture as a bases the answer to the OP's question has to be, no.

6. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Children are innocent and in a sense sinless. It should not be too hard for us to understand the possibility of the HS indwelling children for a purpose.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I personally do not think this is likely for today. When John was in the womb, this was before the indwelling of the HS in believers' lives. In the OT, we see God giving the HS to people and taking the HS away (as with Saul). Therefore, it is not hard to believe that God gave the HS to John in the womb. John was the last great OT prophet and Jesus even said there was none greater than him.

But nowadays, we must believe in the name of Jesus Christ to be indwelt by the HS. Therefore, it does not seem that an unborn child could have the HS. I think John the Baptist was an exception. We can't base a doctrine on an isolated instance in a narrative about a prophet.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Good post Marcia, and I agree 100%, nothing else is biblical.

9. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

God is omniscient. Whom He did foreknow...He predestinated to be conformed...God is not limited to what we "personally think." I am not saying that it happens or does not happen today. I just believe we shouldn't limit God.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Mike, it is not limiting God to go by the Bible. That is what we are supposed to do. That phrase, "don't limit God" is used to excuse a lot of strange theologies and I'm hearing it more and more lately.

I am not saying that is what you are doing, but I believe we should stick to His word in matters like this. That's why He gave it to us.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know.

Mark 10
    13 And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.
    14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
    15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
    16 And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.

HankD

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rom. 8:9, "Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

The original question was, Can a child or infant be filled with the Holy Spirit. Of course He can. God is the one who does the filling, and He can fill an infant just as easily as He can an old codger.

But if the question is, "Does He?" Then, yes again. The example of John the Baptist has already been cited. It may not be the normal thing that happens, but that it can and does happen, however infrequently, is established.

But to those who say no, how can one who dies as an infant go to heaven if he have not the Spirit of Christ?

13. Bro. Ruben

Bro. Ruben New Member

But a child can't confess of his/her sin, unless he/she reaches the age of accountability. God would be so cruel sending such a creature in the lake of fire.

You're right for saying that God can fill a child with the HS, for He is God.