1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a sitting U.S. president face criminal charges?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by FollowTheWay, May 12, 2019.

1. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can a sitting U.S. president face criminal charges? - Reuters

The U.S. Justice Department has a decades-old policy that a sitting president cannot be indicted, indicating that criminal charges against Trump would be unlikely, according to legal experts.

“The indictment or criminal prosecution of a sitting President would unconstitutionally undermine the capacity of the executive branch to perform its constitutionally assigned functions,” the memo stated.

The 1973 and 2000 memos are binding on Justice Department employees, including Mueller, according to many legal experts. Mueller was appointed in May 2017 by the department’s No. 2 official Rod Rosenstein.

COULD TRUMP BE REMOVED FROM OFFICE AND THEN PROSECUTED?

Yes. There is no debate over whether a former president can be indicted for conduct that occurred while in office. In fact, President Gerald Ford, who succeeded Nixon after his resignation, was mindful of this when he granted “a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed.”

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who knows. Our government is so mixed up as it is almost anything goes. We have a democrat congress thinking that they are the judicial branch, we have the executive branch thinking it is the legislative branch, the judicial branch took to making laws under Obama, apparently history has been rewritten so that the 22nd amendment was so that FDR wouldn't be re-elected from the grave.....it's a strange world we live in, friend.

Personally, I doubt it. The next party cannot get in office based on Republican or Democrat loyalists. They have to reach the middle ground. I don't think that the sheeple will win the election this go around (actually, I don't think they did last go around hence the surprise when President Trump won). I believe anti-Trump campaigning will forfeit any chances of victory because those in the middle are not necessarily anti-Trump (they just don't like him). President Trump is currently on a higher ground on many areas that count (that actually affects people rather than their ideals).

So to win the Democrats would have to put forward a more conservative Democrat. I think that Biden may be the best choice so far, but he's got challenges as well. The Democrats need a younger moderate.

If I were over the Republican party, I'd ask President Trump set up a VP and drop out of the race at the last moment due to health reasons. If things go like they look like they are going, the Democrats would be left holding an empty bag (their only real achievement lately has been in their own home ground advancing abortion, all their other energies have been on President Trump).

3. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The one to be brought up on serious charges would be Obama, and with Biden no longer in office, there would be no one to pardon him. Obama was the most villainous, traitorous president in US history, and is still menacing the country on the world stage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can that be - so many have said that Obama was "squeaky clean"

5. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Roflmao Good one. If I had a nickel for every lie Dems have told when accusing Trump of lying, I would be a billionaire. If I had a nickel for every lie they’ve told of how wonderful Obama is, I’d be a trillionaire.

• Like Like x 1