1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a Theological Liberal be "Evangelical"?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Nov 17, 2004.

1. mioque

mioque New Member

In large parts of the world Evangelical simply used to mean Lutheran.
    Even nowadays you still have to check: "You say you are Evangelisch, does that mean you're Lutheran, or does it mean your theology was influenced by Conservative Englishspeaking Protestants at some point?"

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roughly speaking, in the USA "Evangelical" means Gospel-preaching. Saved by grace by faith. No works.

So "Evangelical Lutheran Church of America" is laughable since I have a copy of their teaching that presents "free grace" by baptism and eucharist!

You would have liturgical churches that are almost all very LIBERAL in theology - Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopalian, some Presbyterian, et al

You would have evangelical churches that are almost all very CONSERVATIVE in theology - Baptist, Assemblies, Free, Covenant, Reformed, et al

Think of "Evangelical" as the church you could drop in on this Sunday and here the true Gospel message preached and people born again.

I know from work I did in USSR in the 70's that "Evangelical" in Europe was far different and included ANY group not Orthodox or Jews! LDS and Lutherans were "evangelical" by Soviet law!

3. mioque

mioque New Member

Dr. Bob
    "So "Evangelical Lutheran Church of America" is laughable"
    "
    The nowadays defunct Lutheran church of the Netherlands was called the Evangelisch-Lutherse Kerk. The Lutheran church of Germany still is the Evangelisch-Lutherse Kirche. In fact the Lutherans had already adopted the label evangelical before it came in vogue among the Evangelical crowd.

"I know from work I did in USSR in the 70's that "Evangelical" in Europe was far different and included ANY group not Orthodox or Jews!"
    "
    That was a peculiar aspect of Soviet law and certainly not applicable on the other side of the iron curtain.

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The meaning has certainly changed over the centuries. 'Evangelical' used to be synonymous with Lutheran (and still is in some circles), just as 'Reformed' meant Calvinist (and still does in some circles)

Yours in Christ

Matt

5. fireweed59

fireweed59 New Member

MATT BLACK says: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The meaning has certainly changed over the centuries. 'Evangelical' used to be synonymous with Lutheran (and still is in some circles), just as 'Reformed' meant Calvinist (and still does in some circles)

I wonder if the moniker arose from Luthers' sola scriptura assertion? (Which in some manner of speaking is embraced by American evengelicals) It is to this day true that in Germany, "Evangelisch" refers to the churches, offspring of Luthers' movement. Also interesting is that to this day, the difficulty in finding agreement with those of the Catholic church of Rome, lies in the acceptance or rejection of this premise.