1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can Light and Darkness co-exist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SovereignGrace, Feb 29, 2016.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Part of this whole discussion is the confounding of the concepts of light and darkness in both realms of their individual existence. Then you have introduced a new concept - "mingling" of light and darkness. Rather I would say that spiritual light and darkness is more akin to light and darkness in a room. The room I am presently sitting in has areas of darkness which are (for instance) under the table where the light is not so good or in the closet where there is no light. It would seem that though they can exist together but they are mutually exclusive.

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

On the other hand if you mean a kind of mingling of light and darkness such as in the dawn or sunset then yes I would agree when it comes to soul or essential being of mankind (but not God of course).

HankD

2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tonight, ABC aired another show where ppl tokeningly thanked God.

[​IMG]

After a win tonight for 'Song of the Year', Wiz Khalifa thanked God. Yet, he has desecrated his body with excessive tattoos, and also claims to smoke cannabis every day and spends up to $10,000 a month smoking it.

[​IMG]

Justin Bieber tonight, after receiving an award for 'Top Male Artist' thanked God, yet he too, has desecrated his body with tattoos, gallivanted with a plethora of girls, lived anything other than a life that is truly thankful to God.

These two are prime examples of "For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles. And also Jesus well prophesied "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me."

Yes, Light and darkness can not cohabitate.

3. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

I was kind of surprised that Dr. James White recently got a tattoo. He stated that people would be surprised at who else he knows has tattoos (theologians).

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we choose only those who we conclude are not saved then your conclusion is easy.

But what of those like Lot, Samson, David who although the redeemed were also mighty sinners on occasion walking in darkness.

And what of Peter who Jesus rebuked - get thee behind me satan - and what darkness was in him when he denied his Lord:

Matthew 26:74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.

As his children when we sin we too walk in darkness until 1 John 1:9 is evoked.
    I will cede that in the time continuum darkness versus light is a serial event in our redeemed life.

But then what of our "little" peccadilloes e.g. over eating at a potluck?
    Are we walking in darkness or are we in shadowland?

Hopefully we all walk in the light continually but it seems it is not the case for any of us.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  5. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me clarify...tatoos don't make ppl bad. But I do think the kind of tatoos they get are indicative of how they are living. Christians won't get skull & crossbones, flaming skulls, demonic looking tatoos, &c. I have two myself...before I was saved. But look at the tatoos Bieber and Khalifa have.

6. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am referring to their life en toto. They thank God, but live lives that show they are not truly thankful. I used to say grace over my food, then a few minutes later be playing the card game 'Magic the Gathering' while cussing like a sailor(I was lost at that time). I was not truly thankful. My sister, who is still lost, rebuked me for doing that.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, Thanks SG.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1