1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Satan read our thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 6, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I have a problem.
    Most christians think Satan can not read our thoughts he can only throw in thoughts. But the problem is that if Satan cannot read our thoughts he also doesn't know what we are thinking about and this means all he could do is throwing in random thoughts but this makes no sense at all. Imagine you are just thinking about what you want to eat and then Satan throws in a thought like:

God doesn't love you.

This wouldn't make any sense and I have never had something like this. But what I have is this:

I think about something and then I get a negative thought which is a direct reply to what I was thinking. To give you an example, let's say I am thinking about a testimony of a christian. And I think about what God has done for him and then I get a thought like: "God loves everybody more than me" then this thought is a direct reply to what I was thinking before, it's as if somebody was talking to me. But if Satan cannot read my thoughts he also doesn't know what I was thinking about and this means that this negative thought can impossibly been from him!!! And this means that all these thoughts are my own thoughts!!! :eek::eek::eek:
    And I have had much worse thoughts than this example which I wrote down here. Sometimes I have really vile thoughts or even blasphemous thoughts as a direct reply to what I was thinking before. If these thoughts cannot be from Satan because of the reasons which I listed then all these thoughts are my own thoughts! :(
    Does this mean that I'm kinda disturbed? I mean I don't hear voices but I don't think it's normal to have negative or blasphemous thoughts coming from your own brain. Do you also have this or is it just me?

#1 xdisciplex, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2006
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you have just described is a normal Christian, not a "disturbed" one.

Christians struggle daily with the flesh and the old "nature"....even the old thinking process of the old nature.

I do not believe that satan can read our thoughts. Can I cite any scripture for it? No....not offhand this early in the morning.

But, I can give the foundation for my belief.

• satan is not all-knowing, as is God
    • satan is not equal to God in any way, shape, or form
    • satan is just another "created" being with great limitations
    With that being said, we as Christians should never underestimate satan's hatred for us and his daily purpose in seeking those whom he may "devour". His daily goal is to destroy us. Spiritually, physically, emotionally....and yes, mentally.

Why does it seem like satan is reading your mind? For example, if you are privately praying for someone who is dying of cancer and suddenly you think, "Well, if they hadn't been so stupid and smoked for 30 thirty years then they wouldn't be in this shape, now would they..."?

Here's my own thinking on that....

• Christians still, every single day, battle the "flesh", the old nature.
    • We live in a world that is not our home and bombards us with images and feelings of rage, jealousy, lust, greed, and more on a literally moment by moment basis.
    • Our mind is the breeding ground for all of our sin. It's where the seeds of sin, the seeds of our old nature, the flesh, take root. We MUST be about pruning the weeds of sin from our minds everyday.
    • satan has been around quite long enough to understand human nature much better than any psycho-analyst with a college degree
    • satan takes his information about our thoughts from our behavior and he acts accordingly.......he cannot know what we are thinking, but he can have a very good idea based on our daily actions....in other words, we give ourselves away too easily by our deeds
    • All Christians struggle daily with their thoughts....I think that's why God wants us in His Word everyday and "meditating" on scripture daily and to be "praying without ceasing"
    • satan cannot battle with God over our minds and hearts.....satan is not comparable to God.....but WE battle with him and his temptations everyday
    Just my early morning ramblings.

3. Milady

Milady New Member

Only what God allows

Satan cannot read our thoughts, no.
    But after a few thousand years, do you think he could have a clue as to human behavior?
    Also, PLEASE do not give satan credit. You are ascribing to him more power than he has.If you really think about it, he was not even able to touch Job without God's permission.( he also had to WALK to and fro on the earth, whereas God is omniscient.)
    God does allow periods of testing in our lives though, maybe He was trying to test you, and see if you were really ...."thinking on these things" (Phil 4:8)
    Hope that helps a bit,
    Milady

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Satan is not omniscient and omnipresent, so no, he cannot read our thoughts. If satan, a fallen angel, could read our thoughts, then every demon and angel could do the same things. Angels are sent as servants of God, they are not gods. If they knew our thoughts, there would be no need to be "sent" as they would already know everything that is happening.

5. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Only when I am alone in a room with a Chocolate cake! But thats understandable. :smilewinkgrin:

Amen ~webdog! Thats why it says in 2 places in bible it says that satan was going to and fro. He had to find someone to mess with.
    (Job 1:7 , Job 2:2)

1Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

6. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Okay, thanks.

7. fcs25

fcs25 New Member

If Satan can read thoughts and minds then he is on the same level as God which is impossible since he is a created being and God is not.Only God is omniscience and this is a necessary attribute in order to read and know other peoples thoughts.

8. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

:type:

Of course I have a different take on this question, but then I usually do.:tongue3:

No Satan cannot be everywhere at once the way God is. So, no he cannot read our thoughts.

However IF he was where you are I believe he can. He has demons called doubt and unbelief etc., and I think they CAN know what we are thinking. They are all around us, and I have had some encounters with them that some would not believe.

XdiscipleX,

Next time some of those thoughts come to mind, start talking about the blood of Jesus, because the demons don't like it. Think on these things and watch those thoughts go away.

Peace,

Tam

9. Link

Link New Member

On the idea of Satan reading minds...
    I think it is dangerous for preachers to preach, as doctrine, that the Devil and demons cannot read your mind. Why? Because there is no scripture to back that up.
    Suppose someone believes in the Biblical gifts of the Spirit and hears the preacher say that demons can't read minds, and believes that, too. Someone claiming to be a prophet comes around and tells him detailed things that he is thinking. So he reasons that demons could not know that information and that only God can read minds, so he accepts the man as a prophet. If demons can read minds and reveal the content to false prophets, preaching that demons cannot read minds can lead people into error.
    Let us consider what scientists can do. They can inject you with some kind of chemical and hook your brain up to a machine. If you hear music, certain parts of yoru brain will be active. I even read on Internet news that there is a lie detector using similar technology that is shown to be much more accurate than conventional lie detectors. Now suppose scientists improve on this technology to the extent that they can know what subject you are thinking about, or even individual thoughts.
    If scientists can know generally, what you are thinking about, by seeing what parts of your brain are active, isn't it possible that demons can percieve what sections of your brain are active?
    I had a friend who said sometimes he picked up thoughts from people. He was a contractor and he said sometimes people would be talking about an idea for a blueprint and he could see what they were thinking in his mind. He told me a story about someone mentioning that he had a color in mind for a certain location, and the color popped into his mind. While he told me this story, I saw the same color, though he'd taken me to a site earlier where he used the color but hadn't given me any reason to connect it to the story. He believed this was more of a human ability type thing, and not a gift of the Spirit. He had gotten words of knowledge before where God had shown him details about people and he said it was different.
    Maybe some humans can sometimes read minds, or perhaps more accurately pick up on other's thoughts or feelings without them speaking or even giving physical signals to indicate these things. I think demons can probably read minds, at least some people's, some times. And if someone is under the power of the wicked one, I do not know why Satan would not be able to read their minds. I think people reject the idea because it is scary to them, not because of anything in the Bible.
    The argument in the first post about devils knowing what kind of arguments to answer your thoughts with is a compelling one.
    Some argue that this is the case because Satan is not omniscient. But being able to read minds would not make one omniscient. Suppose a demon can only read someone's mind if he comes close to that person or concentrates. Would he be omniscient? If he could read every human and angels mind simeltaneously, would that make him omniscient? No. Mutant psychic mind-readers in SciFi movies are not generally omniscient either.
    So arguing that Satan cannot read minds because he is not omniscient is not a logically valid argument. Some also argue that if someone were omniscient, he would be God, but that is not logical either.
    To sum up, I believe we need to be careful not to argue for doctrines like this that have no support from scripture. The Bible does not say that Satan does not or cannot read minds, so we should at least remain open to the possibility that he might be able to.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is where I stopped reading. There are no modern day "prophets". The Bible is the sole authority. If anyone claims to be a "prophet" sent from the Lord...RUN!

11. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Some good points, but in Jobs case it was what he feared that was used to attack him. This waould lead one to think that satan figured out what Job feared by... reading his mind... or had Job spoken this at one time... or by his actions (his sacrifices he would offer) showing what he held most dear? I'm not sure, but I know that there is wisdom there somewhere.

Job 3:25
    For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.
    Job 3:26 I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came.

I do know all satan has to do is to see a weak area to attack. Just as a loin will pick the weakest, slowest, or smallest animal out of a herd.

In Hosea he said: My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: .
    This is why we need to read our bible and build ourselfs up be doers of the word and not just hearers. Get strong in the Word, and get knowledge (and Wisdom too). I figure this way when satan attacks we have a weapon to fight back with.

Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

I still don't believe satan can read our minds per se, but I have been wrong in the past. :smilewinkgrin:
    But a persons actions and the way they carry themselfs or even speak, can tell you alot and it does say in Job that satan said he was walking up and down the earth going to and fro...so we know he is always looking and listening. He's always seeking whom he can devour. Whos weak, whos vunerable, whos lonely or away from the crowd, ... ect.

12. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Wow. I'm so glad I have the Bible, not what someone thinks in these forums. Ask one question, get 50 different answers. If everyone would RUN to 1 Corinthians 2:9-14, they'd see that all 50 answers should have agreed.

We've got to get away from guessing about scripture, or relating something personal as if it has a basis in fact, when it is contradictory to Holy Writ. The mind, the brain, the flesh, is a vast reservoir of knowledge, much of it negative, to say the least. It is learned from sources uncalcuable. The struggle between flesh and spirit is a daily struggle. When a Christian has negative, lustful, evil, heretical thoughts, it is the mind, the brain, the flesh that is wandering about in its depths; it is NOT spiritual insight, it is programmed behavior! Garbage in, garbaged thought processes. Stop reading and listening to garbage!

The Christian must confront these thoughts prayerfully, when they occur, with the Word of God. "Father, in the Name of Jesus, remind me of the spirit within me, that spirit that you imparted to me the moment I believed. Holy Spirit, come alongside! Rebuke that lie! Set my feet on higher ground!" "God, protect me, shield me from these thoughts!" You can include, for example, something like "The devil is a liar and the father of lies!" And then, "In the Name of Jesus, buzz off, devil, lord of the flies!" And then, "Greater is He that is in me!" Rebuke the devil in the name of Jesus, not in your own name, and he will flee from you!

Never, ever, ever, as a Christian, dwell on these thoughts, or accept an evil thought as evidence that you are lost or dumb or crazy or weird; never accept heresy as truth, or conclude that it automatically condemns you. RUN to 1 John 1:9. Agree with God that dwelling on them, for the Christian, is the sin!

I had some unpleasant memories come to mind just recently. I said, "God, why don't you erase......", and before I could finish, the Spirit said, "I already have." Wow. What a Savior!

Receive his promised forgiveness and restoration of fellowship, instantly! You were saved once, born again, sanctified, and sealed for eternity. Believe it! Walk in it! He'll never let you go! :thumbs:

13. Link

Link New Member

So do you think the saints should reject the two witnesses that prophesy in Revelation?

The Bible doesn't teach that. It teaches that prophets have been given to the church until we come to a perfect man, to the full image of the stature of Christ. Christ said we would know false prophets by their fruits, not by what prophet they prophesy in.

And the Bible does not say that Satan cannot read your mind. So why do people teach it as doctrine?

14. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But how shall I know which of these thoughts is a normal thought from me, a not normal thought from me, a thought from Satan or a thought from God? It's impossible to distinguish!
    Sometimes I had thoughts which were like as if God is speaking to me but they were threatening me, for example: "If you do this then I'm done with you" or stuff like that. I don't think this was from God, but how shall I know? If God also speaks to us using thoughts then I will never be able to know when or if he speaks to me. :tear:

15. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

@ Link & Tam

Interesting thoughts!
    In fact, this reminds me of stuff my father told me. My father is not a christian. But he told me that back in school he was able to concentrate on the name of a person and then the chance was very high that the teacher would pick this person to answer a question! This went so far that the other pupils begged my father not to think of their name! :eek:
    And just a few weeks ago something really weird happened. I was at Burger King with my father and while we were eating I suddenly thought of a friend of me who moved away a few years ago. I had to think of him because one I had been with him to Burger King. Me and my father have not talked about this person in years!!!
    And just a few seconds after I thought of this friend my father asked me about him and wether I know what he's doing! :eek:

16. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Engaging in this sort of behavior is not productive. Your objective is to grow in Christ, not grow in confusion. Some of these forums are weird. Some of them lead a reader astray. That's not God's best for you. You are young and inquisitive ~ perhaps the Holy Spirit is dealing with you even now so that you'll flush all the garbage and become one of His champions. That, my young friend, would be a glorious assignment! :thumbs:

17. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Easy... in the bible what did Jesus say the 2 comandments to hang all the law and the prophets?

Mat 22:37-40 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    38 This is the first and great commandment.
    39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Also whats the great commission?

Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

These would be things that the Lord would ask you to do. Tell someone about Him, help a neighbor... ect.

Jesus said:
    John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Besides being a different age, the saints will have been raptured at that point. The current age we live in (pre rapture) has no "prophets".
    You are thinking of a different "prophecy", the gift of being able to discern and pass on the truths of Scripture, the sole authority for man.
    The Bible does not teach that Satan can read our minds, either. However, we know that Satan is not omniscient and omnipresent, so from this conclusion we can see how only God either is the only One who can, or has to give permission to satan to do this. I don't think God would allow Satan to read the thoughts of a believer, what the OP is referring to.

19. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not?

What would be the harm? We can't fight the evil one in our own strength anyway.

20. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Here's my take on this. Angels are capable of entering a person's dream state(see Joseph's dream concerning Mary). Therefore, it is logical and possible that this is something Angels and Demons can do, and it is possible that they can therefore read our thoughts. Scripture doesn't say either way. My experience is that whether or not demons can read your thoughts, they can definitely whisper thoughts into your ears and heart.