1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can the Devil corrupt God's Word?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Mexdeaf, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

On another thread, this statement jumped out at me-

I am not sure that I agree.

1. If the Devil could corrupt God's Word, then would that not imply that God is not able to preserve it?

2. It seems to me that Satan's purpose insofar as the Word of God is concerned is to either twist it or question it, not corrupt it.

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

The devil can not corrupt the actual Word of God as God did promise to preserve it. What the devil can do though, is create subtle imitations.

3. Mongol Servant

Mongol Servant New Member

At issue

Remember this - if you are honestly seeking the truth, The Lord is obligated to get it to you (Jeremiah 29:12-13), but He won't force you to listen when He gives it - that's where faith enters the picture.
    From what I have heard from other ministers (who are serving The Lord around the world), there is a "ground-swell" (army) of people waking up to this issue. There are many wonderful articles, books, CDs, and other material available to help in this regard. Two such items would be: "An Understandable History of the Bible," by Dr Samuel Gipp, published by Daystar Publishing; and also "One Book Stands Alone," by Dr Douglas D. Stauffer, published by McCowen Mills Publishers. This one is highly recommended by Dr Lee Roberson and Dr Tom Malone.
    If you're interested in a public debate forum that defends the scripture, instead of attacking it - check out Fundamental Preaching.com.

http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/before1611.html

In His Grip,
    Mongol Servant :applause:

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No, the devil cannot corrupt God's word.

How can he, as pointed out, corrupt what an omnipotent God has promised to preserve?

Can man do a bad translation?
    Of course.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I agree!!! As I was taught and still believe, as long as the Holy Spirit is here, the Word of God will be here. Look at how people have tryed to burn and do away with the Word of God over the years, and it is still here. An omnipotent God will preserve it.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Corinthians 4:1-6 (ESV) Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart. But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God’s word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God. And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:15-16 (ESV) And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. (bolding added) God has perserved his word. He didn't say that every where and in every instance it would be perserved. He tells us to keep guard. Why the god of this world attempts to corrupt even the very children of God!. Why wouldn't he do so with God's effective word? Look at the evidence, the Scriptures have been manipulated and changed to support all sorts of wicked perversions. Rob

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me try that again with Internet Explorer.
    I've been having a problem with Foxfire.

2 Corinthians 4:1-6 (ESV)
    Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart.
    But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God’s word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God.
    And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those who are perishing.
    In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake.
    For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 3:15-16 (ESV)
    And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.
    (bolding added)

God has preserved his word. He didn't say that every where and in every instance it would be preserved. He tells us to keep guard.

Why the god of this world attempts to corrupt even the very children of God!.
    Why wouldn't he do so with God's effective word?

Look at the evidence, the Scriptures have been manipulated and changed to support all sorts of wicked perversions.

Rob

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, all he can do is SUGGEST. But through his suggestions, he can cause dertain doctrines about God's word, such as one that YOU hawk, to appear.

9. Keith M

Keith M New Member

1. Yes, if Satan could corrupt God's word then that would imply God is not able to preserve His word. However, God has been preserving His word in various Bible translations for years - the evidence that God has preserved His word is found in the Bishops' Bible, the Geneva Bible, the KJVs, the NKJV, the NIV, the NASB and in many other translations of His word.

2. Although Satan cannot corrupt the word of God, he certainly can twist and question it. Good examples of God's word being twisted are found in the New World Translation (NWT), the Clear Word Translation (CWT) and the Joseph Smith Translation (JST). And a great example of Satan's causing God's word to be questioned is found in any theory or idea that causes us to question the validity of the various legitimate Bible versions God has so graciously provided for us in English and in many other languages.

The preservation of God's word is an ongoing process - it is not something that ceased at a certain point in time as some people would have us believe. God is powerful and His ability to preserve His word is shown just as strongly today in the HCST as it was in the 1611 KJV. God hasn't failed to keep His promise although there are those who question His ability to continue the process just as it was started when the original authors wrote the various books of the Bible through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First recorded “corruption” of God’s word

GOD SAYS:

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."
    Genesis 2:16-17 (ESV)

WOMAN SAYS:

Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the LORD God had made.
    He said to the woman, "Did God actually say, 'You shall not eat of any tree in the garden'?" And the woman said to the serpent, "We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, 'You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.'"
    Genesis 3:1-3 (ESV)

Rob

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yep!! The Serpent first suggested by questioning, "Yea, did God actually say, "Thus and so"?

The woman, Eve, was the one that first actually corrupted by "adding to" what God had said. Then Satan attempted to take away by "denying", then 'replacing' what God had said, with what he was saying.

And one may note that the very last record 'warnings' in Scripture concern our, not Satan's, mishandling and hence manipulation, of the written Word.
    We would do well to take heed. I have said to various people, many times before, "If and when you think I am "adding to" the Word of God, be sure you are not "taking away from" the Word of God; and if and when you think I am "taking away from" the Word of God, just make sure you are not "adding to" the Word of God. That is the entirely Biblical, as I read Scripture.

Ed

#11 EdSutton, Mar 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2007
  12. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Satan can indeed "corrupt" the Word of God as we define it today. Can he corrupt the actual words of God? Absolutely not. God promised that they would never pass away. Satan can dilute the Word, change the Word, omit the Word, contradict the Word, and question the Word, thereby corrputing our perception of God's Word.

Since man has been given a free will, we are free to choose to be duped or we can choose to take advantage of the Word of God that has been preserved down through the ages.

Satan has corrupted the church, the home, and the government which God Himself established. He has worked since day one to corrupt the Word of God as well.

13. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

No offense intended toward Rob, but I think this statement is more accurately put: manipulated interpretations of the Scriptures have been used to support all sorts of wicked perversions.

14. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I would like to see the following questions fully answered from Scripture--

1. When, and to whom specifically did God promise that His words would not pass away?

2. Where precisely did God promise His words would not pass away from?

3. What exactly are His "words" in context of these proof passages, and how inclusive (or exclusive) is God's promise?

15. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I think you misunderstand what the quotation means. God, our Omnipotent, preserved His Words that the Satan cannot corrupt. However the Satan can corrupt God's Words on the earth; he used the Words of God to deceive Eve.

16. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I second that. :thumbs:

17. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Although suggestion is one of his most oft used tools, I believe the book of Job shows us that he can do much more than suggest. He is of course constrained by one far more powerful and glorious than he.

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

He did???

As I recall he asked a question (planted a doubt) and EVE corrupted God's word!

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that the KJVO's believe that God's Word can be corrupted although their preferred version isn't, and those that are KJVP or 'freedom readers' believe that God CAN preserve his Word.

Hmmmmm........

20. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Right, Eve did, too.

God said:

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

You see, 2 different trees here what God talked about above and what the Satan and Eve corrupted God's Words below.

Satan said:

Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

Eve said:

And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

Satan said:

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

Firstly, the Satan questioned Eve by corrupting God's Words with adding a word, "not"

Secondly, Eve corrupted God's Words. She was the mother of Dynamic Equivalency.

Finally, the Satan corrupted God's words without questioning her, but by telling her with his deception.