1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can We Completely Trust Any Bible Translation?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by SavedByGrace, Apr 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is mainly in response to comments made elsewhere, by another member, @Silverhair, who has questioned my knowledge, as others have done, on the original languages, and my assertion, that no Bible Versions is without it faults, and therefore are not completely reliable in every place.

There are three places in the Gospel of John, where the English Versions do not represent what the Greek text actually says. These examples show the limitations and carelessness of human-made translations.

John 8:51, “Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”

John 10:28, “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand”

John 11:26, “and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

In each case, the greater majority on translations, do not translate the Greek completely, they leave out, “εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα”.

Literally it reads;

8:51, “no, not ever, he shall perish to the age (eternally)”

10:28, “no, not ever, shall they perish to the age (eternally)”

11:26, “no, not ever, shall perish to the age (eternally)”

The readings in the Greek are very emphatic, that those who are born-again believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, will never, no never, perish for all eternity. In each verse, there is also the emphatic double negative, “οὐ μὴ”, “shall certainly not”, “no, not ever”. This is also not fully translated in the majority on translations.

Why would any translation, that claims to be faithful to the original languages, not translate what the Lord Himself has give us in the Original Gospel of John? In each case Jesus Christ is the Speaker, and His Authority is the Highest. There is no reason that can be given, for any translation altering, or adding, or removing what we are given by the Lord.

The Bible warns that we are not to “add or take away” (Revelation 22:18-19) from what the Lord has given us in the Original Autographs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

SBG I am not questioning your knowledge, that is just you taking offense at anyone that would question your view. I do actually agree with you that all translations fail in one way or another.

My original comment was about the unchristian way you had responded to Van over his choice of words in Rom 8:6-7 "the mind set" which I showed you was actually the way it is translated in a number of versions. Plus I showed you that the WSD also supports that translation.

You seem to be to proud to admit that you were in error and I doubt that you have apologized to Van for your rude comment.

As for me I trust what the bible says and when I see the same thought presented in different versions with similar words then the is good enough for me. One does not have to be a Greek or Hebrew scholar to understand the bible.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    it does help to know the original languages, when trying to witness to a Jehovah's Witness, and show them why John 1:1 cannot read "and the Word was a god". Just to point them to a Bible version that reads "God", can be seen as a biased translation.

Regrads Van, you might not be aware, that he has been on here many times, with his "Greek" renderings, which are way off what it actually means. Again, without an actual working knowledge of the original languages, one would not know.

I am never "rude", though am blunt and to the point. A spade is a spade to me!

4. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny I have dealt with JW's and Mormon's and do not know Greek but I agree it does help but not necessary.

I have seen Van's comments and yours and what I am saying is that a soft tone works much better than harsh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you managed to show them why "a god" is wrong?

6. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All that matters is SBG is always right and all others, including all biblical scholarship is wrong. And it has something to do with JW's always as well.

7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    yet another stupid comment! :rolleyes:

8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    here is one for the likes of you!

Can We Completely Trust Any Bible Translation?

9. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, maybe my comment was uncalled for, but i do wish you could see how you appear to others on occasion.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ironic, coming from you.

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    "appearing" to others is the least of my concerns on these forums. I am also on other forums, where there are many who are anti Bible, anti Trinity, atheist, humanist, etc, etc, and you have to know what you are really talking about, as some folks are proper scholars in Hebrew and Greek, etc

I have seen posts from Van, not only on Greek, but also theology, and he is way of on what he says. then you get some guy called Silverhair, who jumps in and says that I sould apoligise for saying what is true! and when I produce evidence, I get no response

I have no problem in being criticised, as I can take it. My writings speak for themselves, and always open to being corrected, rather than someone making silly comments.

12. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    yet another stupid accusation, that I "add and take away" from the Bible! put up or shut up

Mods, before you delete comments, why not tell us first why you are doing so?

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stop the food fight or the thread will be closed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    With some but for most it did not matter. People get locked into their view and it is very hard to change it. We have to trust that the Holy Spirit will continue to work on them and convict them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBG in another post you said you are blunt and will can a spade a spade. I remembered something that my dad used to say to ma as I could be a tad blunt by times.
    "You can beat people up with a blunt object and you can bury them with a spade but are you accomplishing what you wanted to accomplish."

Perhaps you should stop and think about what you say before you write it. We are not your enemies on here but you come across as if we were.

You come across as someone that is quite insecure. Just calling a spade a spade.

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    More rubbish

17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    \What some call trash others call gold, it all depends upon your view point.

SBG I am not questioning your intellect but I do question your approach. You have learned Greek & Hebrew and I commend you for that, now you need the wisdom to use them properly.

18. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is your own attitude that needs to be changed when you call me who you don't even know, insecure!

You guys keep on quoting Greek on here without even knowing what you are on about, and when corrected take offence :eek:

19. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBG I do not have to know you personally to see that you come across that way.
    As for many of us not knowing Greek, well you have heard of dictionaries I am sure, and I am quite sure that most if not all those on here know how to use one.
    If and when I do quote Greek on here or for that matter anywhere it is what comes for the The Complete Word Study Dictionary not from me. I trust Greek scholars to give me the correct meaning of the words.
    That may not work for you but it does for us poor uneducated folk.

20. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another nothing post from @SavedByGrace

How does that change the readings? It doesn't. That is translated no problem in natural, regular English. You know, the Bible wasn't written in English right? But we all forget you are the end all be all master of Greek (without any training). You are always right when it comes to the Greek. Everyone must bow to your Greek skills.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.