1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Candidates ignoring coming Social Security crisis, critics say

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by KenH, Oct 25, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is discrimination everywhere in every nation, in every job, in every country and among every people at every age. It is a fact. Some of the most discriminatory and segregated groups of people meet every Sunday.

We can complain about it or we can accept it and join in with God in prayer.

I never received a master's degree after all my study because I was discriminated against by some Mormons in the department and they never approved my thesis proposal after writing it twice. Years later I went onto a doctoral program and they accepted all of my work despite the fact that I never received the master's degree in my field.

There was a time when one of the professors wanted me to teach there. Now that I look back I am truly glad that I am not teaching at that university. I love where I am at and I can say that I love the students and people I work with. Leading up to this time has been some hard times in my life.

Sometimes we must accept injustices and move on by God's grace. Many years ago I was fired from a job because I refused to cheat customers, and when I applied at another job I was asked about the time I was fired. I told them the truth and they hired me. They told me they suspected that practice was happening. I worked for that company for quite awhile. God is always on our side when we seek to glorify Him and give Him the honor.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>Plenty of money is going into Social Security. The problem is the borrowers who lose money on the money they "borrow" from Social Security.

SAY AGAIN???????????????

SS is two legally separate and pragmatically programs. First, it is one of the more successful universal welfare programs in the world.

Second, it is a capped payroll tax that goes right into the Treasury and is spent on current budget needs just like most all federal taxes are. It always has been the law.

The SS fund always has been a book keeping fiction, a dummy account without assets. HOW can it be anything else? Exactly in what form should the SS receipts be kept? Would you have the government sell bonds on the open market to replace the SS funds? What would that accomplish? Or just go further into debt?

Someone please explain why right wingers continually worry about SS going broke but NEVER worry about the US Army going broke? The bottom line source of funds is the same for both.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I am 52 and can out work anybody at any age. [​IMG] If I should find myself out of work, for whatever reason, I will be able to do anything thrown my way!!!!!! :thumbs: Never mind that God is going to take care of me anyway. :godisgood:

4. billwald

billwald New Member

>I am 52 and can out work anybody at any age.

That was easy to say when I was 52. Report back when you are 72.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am sure he will report somewhere.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I cannot see how anyone can say SS is a successful welfare program and do so with a straight face. It is abysmal. Ask anyone who has ever had to fight hammer and tong to get it, face having it taken from you, have to go to court to get it, all because Big Brother thinks you may not need it after all. Ask folks who cannot get an ROI to keep pace with even modest inflation. Ask folks who actually have to live on SS. They'll tell you about the "successes"

Billwald is right on a couple of points. The trust fund is a bit of smoke/mirrors. No one knows for sure the true solvency. Too often, emotions, rather than facts, rule this discussion. One of the few bright spots about Bush was that he tried to have a logical discussion about how to save it, and he got shouted down. He lost his nerve to bring it back up.

SS is already a market-oriented program since the future obligations are based on the sales of Treasuries, which at one point a couple of weeks ago had a NEGATIVE interest yield. That's right. The Federal govt charged people interest to BUY these. The APY (for lack of a better term) has been at zero more than once.

The left is going to have to accept that people should have a right to money that is theirs. Personal ownership of SS funds might rob them of the power they crave, but deal with it. The right is going to have to come clean and acknowledge that SS is here to stay, like it or not. SS could be saved, but the hacks are going to have to let the grownups do the heavy lifting. I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

More to come.....