1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cash for clunkers

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Mar 13, 2010.

1. targus

targus New Member

What is the proof of this success?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On that, I totally agree with you my friend! :1_grouphug:

Now if the States or Commonwealth spends the money, thats another story- at least it is not (federally) unconstitutional.

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Did you read the opening link?

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, let's ask it another way:

Why should the government take $4,500 dollars out of my pocket, and give it to someone else for buying a new car?

5. targus

targus New Member

Yes.

Did you read my response to it?

Do you believe it simply because you read it even though it defies logic and reason?

From the study: "The Maritz study demonstrates that the vast majority (542,000) of consumers indicated that CARS was the main motivation for purchasing or leasing a vehicle when they did."

All this program did was accelerate the purchase of vehicles that would have been bought eventually anyway and at a great cost to taxpayers.

And at a great cost to our children and grandchildren because it was done with government borrowed money.

The program was nothing more than a political payoff of to the auto unions.

#25 targus, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Nor am I...but I've talked to people that are. And the principles I'm applying are time-honored and proven (such as the law of supply and demand). Besides...one day, your opinion might look like mine. Just think how wonderful that would be. :eek: :D

According to the LA times, about 700K cars were sold (and thus, 700K turned in and destroyed). Sorry, but that's a lot of cars. Of course it will have an effect on prices...especially considering that all those cars are cars that would be from the lower side of the price spectrum. (No one's going to trade a $40K F-350 'dooley' for $4.5K) LA_TIMES_ARTICLE

Sorry, but I don't get your point. Where's the "both sides" thing? I've been pretty clear...it's not the government's job to take money from me, and give it to someone else based upon their buying the car the government desires them to.

Sorry, you're wrong in one respect: The government offered no choice as to whether or not to spend billions of dollars bribing people to replace cars. And you're flat-out wrong about what conservatives want: They don't want government taking money from one taxpayer and bribing another to buy a certain kind of car. If one is in favor of this position, they are in no way espousing a "free-market conservative" position.

C4C cost over $3 billion. Out of the nearly 700K vehicles sold, only about 125K wouldn't have been sold without the program. The cost for each of those cars? $24,000 per consumer. Hmmm....now that seems pretty significant to me. CNN_SOURCE

Oh, and is the right term "climate decline" now? Thanks for the heads-up. Doggone it...I had just gotten used to "climate change" after "global warming" became illegal to say.

Funny...I've scoured the thread, and haven't found my saying that anywhere. But I have no desire hand over my money so that you or anyone else can buy a car.

Sorry...not the job of government.

*sigh*
    Let's try this again: It's not the job of government to take my money, and give it to someone else...just so they can buy the "right" car. Why is that hard to understand? One more thing: they did force me to participate...my tax dollars went toward helping people buy cars. Please tell me that was clear.

Well, that baby's been put to bed. See the links above (I even went to the trouble of getting links from sources such as CNN--not exactly paragons of "right-ness.")

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I don't believe the government took $4500 dollars of your money to pay for someone's automobile. They only took a small amount of your taxes. We have given the government the authority to tax us and spend the money any way the Congress deems necessary. The thing to do, if you think this is wrong, is to replace your elected officials with those who believe like you do. If you are in the minority, the you will just have to suffer.

Seems like I remember the bible saying that, for a Christian witness, we should allow ourselves to be defrauded and not to make an idol out of our money. Sometimes we have to got he extra mile for Christ's sake. Surely you trust God to see that you have what He wants you to have.

I actually bought a new truck just before the government instituted this program; you don't see me crying because I could have saved money if I had known about it. I don't regret helping someone who needed a new car get one. Don't be so stingy.

#27 Robert Snow, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was looking at buying a new pickup a few months ago but when I found out that the trade in credit had gone so much I decided to wait. So I did not buy any vehicle.

9. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Maybe you should buy a 2-4 year old used one and save money.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

When someone is selling a vehicle that is only two to four years old, I have to ask myself why they are doing it. They probably are still financing it. I always wonder if there is a problem they are not mentioning. I will pay an extra two or three thousand dollars and get something new.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are incorrect!!! Yes, we have given Congress authority to spend money but not anyway they deem necessary. There is this little thing called the Constitution - as I stated before, that program, as well as many more are unconstitutional

12. targus

targus New Member

Where did you ever get this idea?

Do you apply this line of thinking to government funded abortions too?

If not - how do you pick what to trust God to see that we have what He wants us to have?

Well, since it is all a matter of being sting or not - send me a check and I"ll go buy a new car.

No?

Don't be so stingy.

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

The Supreme Court decides what is and is not Constitutional. Since they have not curbed the spending what can we do except elect Representatives that agree with our viewpoints?

Murder is against God's law. Disobeying the manner in which the government does things is not against the law. if fact God says to obey the governmental authorities. Now if it is a matter of conscience, then a person must make a stand, like not paying taxes, and be willing to suffer the consequences. I notice you complain a lot about how the government taxes us and spends our taxes, but I don't see you taking a stand of conscience about it. All you do is gripe and complain.

Part of trusting God is obeying the government as much as we can, and we should not be bitter to pay or taxes. If you think we are being taxed too much like I do, then we need to elect better Representatives. Until then, I believe we are stuck.

I pay my taxes, of which part was used for the CFC program. You should have purchased an auto then and I would have helped you pay for it.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

15. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

17. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

19. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You really have no clue as to how the legal system in this country works, do you?

20. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Tell me Einstein, how does the government (not legal system) operate?

Silly me, I thought we elected Representatives and a President. I also thought the President appointed Supreme Court Justices, who were then ratified by the Senate. I thought the Congress passed laws and the President either signed or vetoed them. And, that the Supreme Court decided if a law was Constitutional or not.

It looks to me like we either have to elect different Representatives and President, overthrow the current government, or live with the consequences of what we currently have.