1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Casting pearls...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Deacon, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does this very familiar verse mean?

Who are the dogs and the swine?

Most importantly, how does it fit within the preceding verses and those that follow?

Rob

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hope it is Matthew 7:6 (not 6:6) in all versions!

Remember, our 3-chapter record of the "sermon on the mount" is just a series of short, often unrelated topics or pithy summaries of a lengthy sermon. Most of us could read the entire sermon and it would take less time than normal preaching.

So a verse like this need NOT have a direct tie in with the context.

7:1-5 deals with our relationship (judging) one another as believers.
    7:6 deals with our relationship to unbelievers.
    7:7-11 deals with our relationship to God
    7:12 concludes our overall relationship with men and God as summarizing the Law and Prophets [metonomy for the Bible]

3. David Mark

David Mark New Member

What does this very familiar verse mean?

Who are the dogs and the swine?

Most importantly, how does it fit within the preceding verses and those that follow?

Rob
    </font>[/QUOTE]I've tried with a sincere heart to share insight with very mean people. I've practiced "getting down in the mud with them" to win them. Many times they were ready for me, prepared to make me out to be a fool and turn simple common sense into a weapon against me.

I've learned that sometimes it is wise for me to just shut up. Not out of fear of them, but out of an understanding of what they will do with any good thing that I might say.

I'll let the Lord call them what they are. I will continue to hope for them, forgive them, and speak in more elementary conversations that cannot be turned against me.

I rejoice that I have learned and am learning more and more each day, when to politely, gracefully excuse myself in an instant, at any point during any conversation I am having with anyone. It's important for me not to give an attitude of disgust or contempt when I bow out of a conversation that has gone bad, dirty or unfruitful. I must keep the peace. Nevertheless, I know that some folks will pick up on my subtle moves. If I continue to do it well, I will not offend and maybe I can win some and make at least one true friend out of a whole crowd.

This is part of becoming wise as serpents and harmless as doves for me.

Dave.

4. vaspers

vaspers New Member

This verse reminds me of the many verses in Proverbs that says it can be a waste of time to instruct a fool or to rebuke a mocker of truth.

that which is holy=God's Word,spiritual truth

dogs=gentiles

pearls=wisdom, pearl of great price, spiritual truths

swine=those who wallow in the mud of sin, defilement, hatred of God, spiritual uncleanness, witchcraft, other abominations, those who wallow in it and do not have the slightest interest in deliverance from it.

Near context prior = don't be super critical when you don't even see yr own sins and faults.

Near context after = persist in prayer and you will receive from God who is happy to give blessings to His children.

Dr. Bob is correct, this is string of teachings not necessarily connected, yet maybe there is some hidden or not immediately obvious connection or reason for the order of the topics.
    You ponder it and report back.

Great question BTW, keep probing the Word. God bless you mightily for searching scripture.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]