1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholic or Christian

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rufus_1611, Jan 5, 2007.

1. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

A few of hose are legitimate beefs. Most are hogwash.

Icons are not idols, icons are not worshipped. Hierarchical systems abound outside of the Catholic Church.

Any church with a national headquarters (like the SBC, for example) has a hierarchy.

The Crusades were a mistake, but a mistake all Christians share, since the Catholic Church was the only game in town at the time. No one can convince me that the SBC would do any differently.

The Catholic Church does not claim that salvation rests only in that institution. Rather, sounding very much like the Baptists and the less conservative Churches of Christ, they think a more perfect salvation experience lies within their church.

Confession of sins is an integral part of many denomimational worship services. Only if a Protestant has never spoken to a pastor about a struggle in his or her life can they begin to question priestly confession.

Catholic people don't pray to the dead. They ask the dead to pray for them. Not a practice I condone, but call it what it is.

Finally, transubstantiation isn't a "magic trick." Nothing makes a Protestant Evangelical look more stupid than when he or she says this.

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Already addressed, and you ignored the answer. But keep asking, because all the people who "think" like you do will keep giving you the answers you want.

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

It's an excellent list.

I'CON, n. [Gr. an image, to resemble.] An image or representation. [Not in use.]

I'DOL, n. [L. idolum; Gr. form or to see.] 1. An image, form or representation (Source: 1828 Webster's) ​

That is outrageous. I had no part in the crusades and will not share in taking ownership for 12th and 13th century murder. Further, though I am not SBC, you suggesting that they would do as the Pope did without any foundation whatsoever is just libelous.

"We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff." - Pope Boniface VIII

One of the big differences is the Pope's and his legion have the authority to forgive sins (according to the church).

May I call it blasphemy?

If you wanted to turn wine into the literal blood of Christ or bread into the literal flesh of Christ would you call a pastor or a magician/priest?

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Hilarious. So you had no part in the Crusades, but the Catholics of today are responsible? Can you even understand how idiotic your statement is? Can you?

Try to at least get out of the 14th Century, OK? Impress me with something from the modern Catholic Church.

According to Jesus, so do you. Am I supposed to hate and revile you, then, as you do these Christians?

Wait - are you saying you believe that the elements are changed? Like you've seen David Copperfield do it? I mean, after all, priests and pastors operate in theological realities - transubstantiation being a change not seen or felt but understood as real, nonetheless.

Maybe if I want to be baptized, I should call on a magician/priest? Because even Baptists think that baptism is an outward sign of an inward change, and since it has to be really real in your book, then maybeDavid Copperfield can do it, huh?

Do you understand, even now, how idiotic your statement is? Do you?

5. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

There is a spiteful, bitter mean person in you. I debated whether or not I should continue bantering with you and you've made this decision easy. This will be my last response.

The popes are infallible according to the church. You are blaming me for 12th century wars but I can't use an infallible pope quote from the 14th century?

I have not uttered one iota of hate towards these people save for they are in an antichrist institution and if they love the Jesus Christ of the Bible then they need to come out of her. Your ignorance and defense of antichrist is far more hateful then my open rebuke.

Do you understand how vociferously you defend the Roman Catholic Church and how little heed you pay to the reformers that you allege to share the doctrines of? Chick pastor, effeminate worldview and a rabid defense of popery and you stain the name of "reformed"? You would do well to declare yourself a Jesuit and stop kidding yourself, as it is quite clear that they are more your brothers than I.

May the light of the true God shine upon you.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

LOL! Call me names and then wish the light of Christ on me. LOL!

7. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Actually, tragic has a point. I talked with a priest (Greek Orthodox) about the use of icons they are strictly a tool used for focus and reinforcement of teachings. The example he gave was that during confession they sat looking at an icon of Jesus to remind them that they are confessing to Jesus. The RCC has similar official uses, they do not teach such as the pagans do that the person or diety depicted actually resides there.

Vatican II - Changed the official stance taken by the RCC in the Council of Trent by stating that salvation can occur outside of the Church, but that it is desirable for all to return to the Church.

Again, tragic has a point. Every Sunday we have confession and absolution in our services. And we believe that the Pastor does have authority given to him by Christ to act as his ambassador and forgive sins.

Call it what you will but at least get what they teach correct.

No, I will continue to trust Jesus when he says this is my body and my blood. But then I am neither RCC or Baptist.

Hey guys, lets at least try to play nice. Take it from me who has ample experience such sarcacism and harsh words are going to convince nobody.

#87 Chemnitz, Jan 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2007
  8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

[​IMG]
    "Good! Your hate has made you powerful. Now fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side!"

9. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

They may not have got Christ right but even the scribes and the Pharisees would know that a pastor believing that he has the power to forgive sins is blasphemous.

"And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?" - Luke 5:21

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Luke... I am your father...

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess you haven't seen the apparitions of Mary or Jesus where people cry, fall down, and DO worship these things. Ask someone to throw out one of these statues and you'll see if it's worship or not. I love my Bible but I'll not worship it - it's paper, ink and leather. That's it. It's what's inside that's important. I was raised Catholic - I know it's worship.

But none of the heirarcy can speak for God. The Catholics consider all that the Pope speaks of in spiritual matters to be infallable and straight from God's mouth.

Here's just one quote from a couple of Popes: "He who is separated from the Catholic Church will not have life. He who is separated from the body of the Catholic Church, however praiseworthy his conduct may seem otherwise, will never enjoy eternal life, and the wrath of God remains on him by reason of the crime of which he is guilty in living separated from Christ�. All those who are separated from the holy universal Church will not be saved." Pope Gregory XVI

"It must be held as a matter of faith that outside the Apostolic Roman Church no one can be saved, that the Church is the only Ark of Salvation, and that whoever does not enter it will perish in the Flood. It is a sin to believe that there is salvation outside the Catholic Church! You must indeed see to it that the faithful have fixed firmly in their minds the absolute necessity of the Catholic faith for attaining salvation. Protestantism is the Great Revolt against God. Pope Pius IX"

But where does it say in Scripture that we are to confess to another sinner to be forgiven? Confession is a sacriment - a way to get grace enough to get to heaven.

What is "prayer"? Dictionary.com says:

a devout petition to God or an object of worship; a spiritual communion with God or an object of worship, as in supplication, thanksgiving, adoration, or confession; a petition; entreaty

What is prayer? Spritual communion, supplication, petition, entreaty. If you're not doing this to a person face-to-face, on the phone, in a letter or whatever (in other words, to someone alive), then you're praying.

True, it's not a magic trick because it's not true.

12. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I am not sure you understand the concept involved here. The power and ability to forgive sins does not rest in the Pastor. It rests in God and the promises of God. In that the Pastor speaks on behalf of Jesus in whom all authority rests in order to pronounce the forgiveness of sins.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But what right does a pastor have to speak on behalf of Jesus in confession and especially to pronounce the forgiveness of sins??? All one needs to do is point out 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." No need to pronounce anything.

14. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Even if this were so, where is the Biblical instruction for taking an image/icon/idol of Jesus and praying to it?

Please see It Didn’t Go Out with Vatican II - The Church’s Position on Salvation outside the Church Is Unchanged by Mark Shea , "a popular Catholic writer and speaker"

"Many of us have been in a similar position. It-Went-Out-with-Vatican-II disease causes many Catholics to talk as though the Church before the Council was a completely different animal than the Church after the Council and not, as is the case, a divinely guided continuation of the same Church.

The Catechism goes on to quote from the great Vatican II document Lumen Gentium: "‘Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: The one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it’ (LG 14; cf. Mark 16:16, John 3:5)."

How about that—the Church still teaches dogmatically! It says that "outside the Church there is no salvation." And it does so for the simple reason stated by Jesus: "He who is not with me is against me."

"Worse yet, there it is still on the lips of the post-Vatican II Church in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 846 of which tells us (in a large, bold-type heading no less) "‘Outside the Church there is no salvation.’"​

15. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree.

Other than a few Catholics on this board (who are extremely gracious imho), no one here agrees with Catholic doctrine -- otherwise, I guess we'd be Catholics, eh?

In fact, I've never read any of the "effeminate, defenders of the popery - call yourself reformed, but you're really not" people state that they agree with Catholic doctrine. In fact, they have constantly stated that they don't agree. Mostly, they have tried to correct some of the misrepresentations. And to answer the repeated attacks made against them.

Personally, I don't agree with Catholic doctrine. I don't agree with some others either -- the Church of Christ, SDAs, Baptists, Congregationalists, Methodists or Fundies, just to name a few. But I'm not calling them non-Christian.

I understand that everyone has different experiences. I have Christian and non-Christian friends. Some are Baptist and some are Catholic. And yes, both fit into each category.

I have Catholic friends who send their children to an evangelical Christian school. I know Catholic women who reguarly attend Bible Study Fellowship. I've been to two Catholic funerals. Both times, the Gospel was preached. In one, the priest stated that "Norm was in heaven because of his faith in Jesus." In another, the speaker said that the most important day in the life of her mom was the day she met Jesus, and then did a "bow your head, close your eyes, sinner's prayer." Hardly non-Christian events.

16. Rooselk

Rooselk Member

Pastors have that right by the words of Jesus found in John 20:23:

23If you forgive the sins of anyone, they are forgiven; if you withhold forgiveness from anyone, it is withheld. (ESV)

And since it was the same John who wrote both 1 John 1:9 and John 20:23, I'd say that both must be true.

17. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

This is a gross missrepresentation. They do not pray to the icon. In the case which I mentioned they are speaking to Christ. The icon is only a visual reminder of who they are speaking to, it is not the object to which they are speaking.

Just as one should avoid prooftexting the Bible, one should avoid prooftexting other documents.

This is from the statement of belief section from the website to which the author's name is linked.
    This is from the documents of Vatican II

I will add to Rooselk's contribution with the passage from Matthew, "Matthew 16:19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." "

18. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

If it is "only a visual reminder" then what value does it have? Why is it necessary to have an inaccurate visual representation of the Godhead? Are we to think that the Godhead can be represented by art and man's device?

"Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device." - Acts 17:29​

Avoid prooftexting the Bible?

Did you read Shea's document or did you just seek ways to discount the author?

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I take it you're unfamiliar with the Roman Catholic doctrine of ex ecclesia nulla salas? (("Outside of the [Roman Catholic] church, there can be no salvation."))

What Protestant or Baptist believes that they can forgive the person's sin?

Are you sure about that? Because I can bury you in examples of Roman Catholics praying to dead saints.

You're right. That was a bad thing for him to say.

On the other hand, nothing makes a Roman Catholic look more stupid than to say that Jesus Christ is a cracker.

20. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A typical style of excuses by Roman Catholic.
    That's why Christianity based on Bible and Roman Catholic are totally different religion.