1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Catholics Continue

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For 32 years I was taught that by jumping the sacraments that I obtain my place in heaven. Now you’re saying that isn’t the case! So I just click my heels, say I believe in Christ and I am heaven bound! Really?!? So what happened to the immediacy of infant baptism, communism, confession (cleansing the soul), the importance of weekly mass yada yada. Don’t Catholics still count mortal and venial sins anymore cause I was taught that the 10 commandments had sway over the mortal sins and the rest had your soul spending time on the bench.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We call them "sacraments", the things that people adhere to as they attempt to live holy lives. I understand you do not use the word to describe things like we do, but which of them don't you agree with? Is it marriage? Repentance? Ordination of clergy? Baptism? Confirmation? (the recognizing of the Holy Spirit). Holy Communion? The anointing of the sick? They are all valid scriptural concepts and surely you cannot in good conscience disagree with any one of them.

Venial and mortal sins are still recognized. Once again, they are just words used to describe the severity of sins. Is grabbing an apple at the grocery store and eating it while shopping without paying for it on par with murdering someone? I don't think so.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I start with this one! Ordain clergy - good ideal - BUT not
    required-- and many Baptist pastors are NOT ordained!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not delineate sin from sin....they all start in the mind. Then regarding sacraments, I don’t believe in baptism as being critical to ones salvation, nor do I see receiving communion as being a step in my salvation. Honestly, I don’t see sacraments as critical factors to my salvation. However the Catholic Church always taught they were necessary. Let’s take infant baptism for example. In my day a baby Had to be baptized soon after it’s birth because without that sacrament, should it die then it’s soul would go to a place called Limbo (not heaven and not hell— but a place of separation), and of course no parent wants that.

Now if I didn’t go to mass each Sunday, then I couldn’t receive communion and thus not warrant the Grace necessary to go to heaven should I die then and there. Honestly I always disputed that as a kid and now as an adult. That Grace is “Freely Provided” by the Holy Spirit not metted out by the RCC for jumping the hoops of their system.

And I don’t need to go to any priest to confess my sins to.... that’s bowing to another flawed human to give me absolution ( and that’s Gods responsibility, not theirs ).

#4 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  5. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not ordained and NOT much formal education. Compare the education of Catholic clergy to that of Baptist clergy. Not necessarily a criticism, but a comparison.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then there is the Catholic vow of chastity. Baptist clearly don’t sign on to that.

7. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It always makes me wonder why so many on the board focus on the discipline of celibacy for priests of the Latin Rite of The Catholic Church when every other rite of the Catholic Church has married priest. I know you live in an area of the U.S. that has other rites of the Catholic Church represented. I attended a Maronite Catholic Church in Utica., NY which had several married priest. Btw, The Maronite Rite is the only Eastern Rite Church which has liturgies which date back to the 1st and 2nd centuries.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve never seen a married priest during my 32 years as a Roman Catholic. However I’ve experienced plenty of priestly pedofiles who have internally recked most Catholic communities beyond reclamation. And that’s a sad thing that could have been controlled... but I digress.

it is my understanding that the RCC teaches a systematic “sacramental” approach to attaining salvation.... is that true (yes or no).

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not required? How many times is the "laying on of hands" mentioned in the scriptures when it came to picking out another apostle or sending someone out to do the Lords work. That is not an ordination?

10. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So, you've experienced many priestly pedophiles? Okay, how many? Where? What years? In all my life I have never experienced one and that includes 8 years of parochial school.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is washing of feet an ordination?

12. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The scriptures never say that a celibate clergy is forbidden, so I do not understand how our Sola Scriptura friends came up with that one.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pennsylvania.... look up Old Forge, St. Mary’s.... both went to prison.

St Joseph’s in Mendam NJ

Our Lady of the Mountain in Long Valley NJ... priest quietly resigned and was replaced.

The 1st two were particularly egregious....need I elaborate?

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You see them all as granting extra sacramental graces towards you, but how much required to skip Purgatory then?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can learn much more real theology at a Baptist school than Catholic one!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not see any scriptures command minister must be celibate!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better yet....a through study of scripture via the HS vs professor that’s paid ( generally with an agenda)

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of recent note let’s look at Jerry Falwell... LOL :Wink

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do see your point there - - this comes under: Dog bites man - no news - man bites dog = news.
    Yes, there have been many many cases of RCC priests being guilty of this
    but we have to keep in mind that since the RCC is an extremly large organization
    the ones who are guilty is a very small % of the total.
    There are currently about 37,000 RCC priests. So, lets say 1,000 are guilty - that would be about 3%.
    Granted, even one case is one to many-

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But is it required?? I Timothy states that a pastor is to be the Husband of one wife (that we agree - only men and not women) and that he
    is to rule his home (including children)

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.