1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cessationism or Continuationism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mikey, Mar 31, 2019.

?
  1. Cessationism

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. Continuationism

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That can be translated either as "you are earnestly desiring" or "earnestly desire". There is no question they already were earnestly desiring spiritual gifts but Paul had just told them that it is not a matter of their desire but a matter of sovereign bestowal by the Spirit (vv. 7-11). That such gifts were not all equally available for every child of God (vv. 29-30) so why in the world would he command them to do exactly what he told them was pure vainity? No, he told them to earnestly desire something better than spiritual gifts - love? Why? Because love INCLUDED THESE LIMITATIONS and provide the proper motivation and guidelines for their use for those who were so gifted. Remember, he restricted the use of tongues in the assembly to no more than three at most and then NONE if no interpreter. The problem is that the Corinthians made tongues the supreme gift just as do modern day Pentecostals but Paul placed it LAST in his order (12:28).

2. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the were both speaking of their present day and the times coming up to AD 70. That is not to dismiss the false signs that we see today, though. I just don't believe we are in the "last days". But, I digress. That's another topic for another time.

I couldn't agree more with these points.

I couldn't disagree more. I don't believe the Apostles were the only ones to have the gifts of the Spirit, nor that they ceased with them.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth to this statement. However, I won't go so far to say that ALL who teach the modern day use of the gifts of the Spirit are false prophets, as I believe this is a true doctrine.

3. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul never said that the gifts were not equally available for every child of God. He pointed out that everyone has different gifts.

You make a good point in the restricted use of tongues in the assembly. The same problem Paul was concerned about is present in many Pentecostal / Charismatic churches. That does not negate the argument that all of the gifts are to be used today.

4. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Dave. I really do appreciate your concern. Not much chance of encountering modern day gifts of the Spirit in the future. Although we do believe in the modern day use of these gifts, we've been attending a very traditional Southern Baptist church for several years. For us, the love and fellowship are more important than witnessing the gifts "in action", especially when we've also seen it faked so often.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

"dividing to every man severally as he will." not as you will
    "are all apostles....." The implication is no! However, the actual Greek text says "no" (Gr.me)
    So, gives are not equally available to everyone just because they would like to seek them.

Do you believe the apostolic office is for today? Do you believe the prophetic office is for today? What new revelation do we need that is lacking in scripture?

6. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think that is a given. We don't receive the gifts because we want them, but when the Father gives them.

Agreed.

Although some churches have those offices, I don't think either of those offices are for the church as a whole today. I believe the gifts of the Spirit come to those to whom God desires today. From what I've witnessed, it's always been to edify either an individual, a family, or a local church.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are missing the point! He does not make them available equally to all saints whether they want them or not! The WHOLE Pentecostal movent from 1905 to 2000 demands that tongues is for every Christian and it is the singular evidence of the baptism in the Spirit, which without, they demand you cannot be "spiritual."

8. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we are discussing the modern Pentecostal movement that demands tongues, I completely agree.
    On the other hand, if we are discussing whether the gifts of the Spirit are still for today, I disagree with you. I don't believe the Bible explicitly teaches that the gifts ever ended. God never forces anyone to have His good gifts, but He does make these gifts available to all the saints to whom He chooses to impart them.

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

There is no tongue speaking today that is not rooted in the first wave movement - NONE! The modern Pentecostal movement is the SOURCE and DEFENSE behind all tongue in America speaking since 1905. You are attempting to make a 1900 year gap between the New Testament and today and that itself is proof that tongue speaking ceased in the first century.

What you are attempting to do is justify a Biblical based tongue speaking WHICH HAS NO EXISTENCE HISTORICALLY APART FROM THE MODERN DAY TONGUE MOVEMENT.

10. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must respectfully disagree, Brother. No doubt, the modern Pentecostal movement has corrupted the teaching, but the true roots go back to the Bible. I've been in services where it was done wrongly, and in services where they've followed the pattern prescribed in Scripture. I not attempting to bridge any gap. I've never researched the use of the gifts of the Spirit in the Church between the 1st Century and the 20th Century, so I can't give you a definitive answer on that. All I can do is tell you how I interpret the Scriptures and relate what I've personally seen.

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At issue. The Biblical gifts of tongues was God speaking, ". . . speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. . . ." -- Acts of the Apostles 2:4.
    When Jesus cited the Law to the Devil, ". . . It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. . . ." That would include what God spoke and was never written down.
    Now a doctrine of Christ is, ". . . these signs shall follow them that believe; . . . they shall speak with new tongues; . . ." -- Mark 16:17. (Only 3 current old manuscript copies of some 1700 copies of Mark omit this, BTW.) 2 John 1:9.

Also there is what Jesus said to unbelievers in John 8:47.

And the Apostle Paul wrote, ". . . forbid not to speak with tongues." -- 1 Corinthians 14:39.

Yet I am persuaded they have ceased (1 Corinthians 13:8-10; Revelation 19:10; Revelation 22:18).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard the "cessation" argument from 1 Corinthians 13 before. Could you explain how the passages from Revelation support the argument? (Maybe I'm just missing something. As my wife tells me, I'm not the sharpest knife in the kitchen.)

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation 22:18, ". . . For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, . . ." The seal on this prophecy of Jesus Christ (Revelation 1:1) is not to add or delete from the hearing of it. And since all prophecy is ultimately about Christ (Luke 24:44; Revelation 19:10) this excludes any kind of revelation spoken or written after it (Revelation 1:1). Effectively what we would call a closed canon for our whole Bible as well as all the speaking gifts, with a known exclution of wisdom as prophecied to be, Luke 21:15, and the the fulfillments as outlined in Revelation such as to two prophets Revelation 11:4. All Holy Scripture is understood to already be perfect James 1:25, and the gifts from God are both good and perfect, James 1:17. The two spaking gifts in 1 Corinthians 13:8-10 were said to be in part, and would be replaced by a perfect. The close of books to the Bible would be making the two gifts in part perfect.

#53 37818, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd never considered that aspect before. While I still believe the gifts are for today just as they were for the 1st Century believers, you've given me much to ponder. Thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

How do you know that it is not ecstatic utterance instead of Biblical tongues?

16. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only by the interpretation given. If no interpretation is given, it was probably not the Holy Spirit.

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I know of services where a Hebrew scholar read a short psalm in Hebrew and one of those who claim the gift of interpreting tongues gave an interpretation that had nothing to do with what he read. How do you know the one claiming interpretation really knows what they are claiming?

18. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only way to be absolutely certain would be if the tongues and interpretation was about something that you happened to be aware of. Otherwise, I'd have to take it on faith. Hopefully the kind of situation you described is rare, but it obviously does happen.

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

No, that kind of faith is called feelings. Biblical faith is not blind but is the response to God's explicit word. The "substance" of Biblical faith is God's revealed word.

20. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblical faith is what I would depend on. This may be a poor comparison, but imagine you were visiting friends or relatives in another city. While there, you attend their church, even though it's a different denomination. You would use the same Biblical faith to discern truth from error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.